Xbox 360 Question about storing items in houses

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Hello, all. This is my first post. I have searched google until I was blue in the face trying to find an answer to this specific question, but I can't find a satisfactory answer.

First, I am aware of what "containers" are. I am aware that if I don't "own" a container, then whatever items I store there will disappear/reset within a certain amount of time. From what I have gathered (and I very well could be wrong, as most of the information I have researched on this subject has proven to be very ambiguous), items in "unowned" containers reset after 40 hours, meaning that whatever was in there will be discarded and replaced with worthless junk like apples or linen.

I know that any chest and apothecary satchel that comes with a house I buy are "safe" because I "own" them (i.e. I can store any item in them and they will stay there indefinitely). I also am aware that weapon racks, display cases, bookshelves, and mannequins are also "safe" containers. However, these are not the only containers that exist in these houses. For the purposes of this thread, I will just use the Breezehome in Windhelm as an example, although my question pertains to all of the houses I can buy.

In every house I have encountered, there are always various sacks, drawers, wardrobes, cabinets, barrels, etc. that contain random knick-knacks that I care nothing about. In my Breezehome, I went through and took every bowl, basket, tankard, plate, linen, food, etc. etc. (all the unnecessary and unusable items) and put them in a barrel. Anything of value that I have found throughout my adventures I have stored in one of the two chests or the satchel located in the alchemy room. As an experiment, I have stored some non-unique armor in the drawers located beside my bed. So far, nothing has disappeared. Even the useless items I stored in the barrel are still there.

My issue is that I have yet to find a definitive answer as to whether or not ALL containers within my house are safe. I just purchased the house in Markarth and, although I like it a lot, there seems to be very few containers that I am positive are safe. I would like to have my items organized instead of throwing everything into one chest. Is it safe to store items (particularly unique items) in any container within a house I own? Is my house theoretically one large "safe" container itself, with multiple containers within it? The last thing I want to happen is for my house to reset and I lose unique or hard-to-find items because I decided to organize my loot.

For instance, if I put Azuras Star in a barrel inside of a house that I own, is there a chance of that barrel resetting? Is there a snowball's chance in hell that I could come back later only to find four apples where a unique Daedric item used to be?

Also, I am looking for a really definitive answer on this. I know people who have stored items in such containers without problems, but anecdotal advice is not what I am looking for. I really need someone who is familiar with the game mechanics to answer this thoroughly for me. I apologize for the long-winded post but this has been bugging me for over a month now and I have yet to find a satisfactory answer to my question. If the answer to this question exists elsewhere and I have simply missed it, a link will suffice. I just really want to know definitively before I start moving my items from my Breezehome to my new house in Markarth. Thank you.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
For the purposes of this thread, I will just use the Breezehome in Windhelm as an example...
If Breezhome is in Windhelm in your game then your game must be bugged to hell and I wouldn't trust putting anything in the house. :D

Seriously though, according to the Official Strategy Guide all containers in all homes are safe. Short of corresponding with a Skyrim development team member from Bethesda who is willing to show you the coding (which will never happen because of their NDA's) that's about as definitive an answer as you can hope to get.

Argh! Brainfart! I always get Whiterun and Windhelm mixed up. Thank you though! I've just heard horror stories of items in houses resetting and I just wanted to double check. I haven't purchased the guide (yet). Again, thank you!

DragonBorn

If you buy the house it will still be there & if you don't own it will not be there. Save before you store items & after you store. Works for me in my white run house breezehome

DovaDestroyer

Rippin' and tearin' since 1996
The only item i have had disappear from a home was the Dragonsbane sword. i stored it in a chest in breezehome. however, this could have been because it was a stolen item since i didn't get it (SPOILER) until after i decided not to kill Paarthurnax and the Blades "disowned" me. Other than that, no problems with items stored in owned houses.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts