Problems with vampires killing NPC's...

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Alduin91

Altmer
Since playing Dawnguard there's been numerous accounts of vampires killing certain NPC's that I need to talk to in order to complete certain quests. This first occurred in Falkreath with the blacksmith Lod the first time it happened. I was going to talk to him about a Daedric quest but he was dead before I could. Now it's happened again in Whiterun where the blacksmith was killed by vampires as well. That is one less blacksmith I can buy from/sell my stuff to and it just sucks.
So basically this boils down to two questions:
How can I do the Daedric quest Lod was going to give me?
And if anyone knows, how do I keep other important NPC's from being turned to dust by the vamps?

Diisk

Well, join the vampire lord side right at the beginning of dawnguard and you will have random attacks by the dawnguard who don't kill npcs I've had the same problem.. So I'm joining the volkahair or however it's spelt

Alduin91

Altmer
Hmm well the only thing is I'm a werewolf, and I really like being a werewolf. But it's good to know I'm not the only one with this problem.

Diisk

Lol, I just become a vampire lord then cure it right after. I prefer werewolf also. Only downside is re equipping

Adam Warlock

Vampires have killed well over a dozen named NPC in my game .
Fortunately I`m already at a high level and had completed most of the quests before Dawnguard came out.

Suggested that if you are planning to do the Dawnguard side , clear your cache and begin your character without the DLC loaded. Then once you`ve done the quests that are really important to you , reload Dawnguard and proceed.

I may be in a minority here but I believe that adding "the threads of fate are broken" scenarios with the vampire attacks gives some spice to the game. The random nature of losing certain quests or NPC certainly makes the game more difficult for those who found play a little too easy as it was , especially for Achievement awards.

Kalin of High Rock

Faal Lun Vahdin
You should be able to find Barbas and complete the daedric quest without Lod's help. He's on the road just outside of Falkreath regardless of weather you talk to Lod or not. As for the problem of vampires killing the people you need and love, the only solution is to swear undying revenge and join the Dawnguard until you've killed every last bloodsucking parasite there is. Purge Skyrim of their filth for all time.

Except me. I'm totes with you guys. Honest.

Alduin91

Altmer
Vampires have killed well over a dozen named NPC in my game .
Fortunately I`m already at a high level and had completed most of the quests before Dawnguard came out.

Suggested that if you are planning to do the Dawnguard side , clear your cache and begin your character without the DLC loaded. Then once you`ve done the quests that are really important to you , reload Dawnguard and proceed.

I may be in a minority here but I believe that adding "the threads of fate are broken" scenarios with the vampire attacks gives some spice to the game. The random nature of losing certain quests or NPC certainly makes the game more difficult for those who found play a little too easy as it was , especially for Achievement awards.

Well here's the thing, all of my Skyrim data was erased so I had to start anew and before I really leveled up, my boyfriend secretly bought me Dawnguard and got it set up unbeknownst to me. So I started Dawnguard without thinking and I now find myself only at level 14 with vampires running around and I just want to do all the side quests form my last profile that was unfortunately lost. But those damn vampires are preventing me from completing some of them. But thanks for your advice. I'm sure if it gets too frustrating (unlikely) I'll just reload Dawnguard on a different character.

Alduin91

Altmer
You should be able to find Barbas and complete the daedric quest without Lod's help. He's on the road just outside of Falkreath regardless of weather you talk to Lod or not. As for the problem of vampires killing the people you need and love, the only solution is to swear undying revenge and join the Dawnguard until you've killed every last bloodsucking parasite there is. Purge Skyrim of their filth for all time.

Except me. I'm totes with you guys. Honest.

Ok thanks, I'll definitely try to find him. And trust me, I will not rest until we have vanquished every last vampire under Dawnguard's watch.

Adam Warlock

Ok thanks, I'll definitely try to find him. And trust me, I will not rest until we have vanquished every last vampire under Dawnguard's watch.
The light be with you !

Get that Dawnguard Rune Axe when you can.
Once it`s tempered , it will keep track of all the undead you kill with it.

By loaning mine to my Dawnguard followers Celann and Durak when I`m not using it myself , it now has 142 notches on the handle !

Definitely my favorite war axe in the game now that the vampires are everywhere

Adam Warlock

Well here's the thing, all of my Skyrim data was erased so I had to start anew and before I really leveled up, my boyfriend secretly bought me Dawnguard and got it set up unbeknownst to me. So I started Dawnguard without thinking and I now find myself only at level 14 with vampires running around and I just want to do all the side quests form my last profile that was unfortunately lost. But those damn vampires are preventing me from completing some of them. But thanks for your advice. I'm sure if it gets too frustrating (unlikely) I'll just reload Dawnguard on a different character.
don`t fret it , just have fun.
I`m eventually going to have to do the same thing since my main Dawnguard quest line is blocked at Chasing Echoes due to another reason.
No Soul Cairn or Lost Vale for me until the next character but I`m sure having fun at the moment

Appaullo

Heres my trick. Fast travel to the Stables outside of a major city. Wait until sun up then go into the city. This is what I do to ensure that no important NPCs are killed in random Vampire attacks. I've not seen any NPCs killed by Vampires unless I was there for the incident to take place. Hope this helps.

Appaullo

Alduin91

Altmer
The light be with you !

Get that Dawnguard Rune Axe when you can.
Once it`s tempered , it will keep track of all the undead you kill with it.

By loaning mine to my Dawnguard followers Celann and Durak when I`m not using it myself , it now has 142 notches on the handle !

Definitely my favorite war axe in the game now that the vampires are everywhere

Awesome :) My main weapon is my steel battleaxe of burning. I will gladly add it to my inventory!

Alduin91

Altmer
Heres my trick. Fast travel to the Stables outside of a major city. Wait until sun up then go into the city. This is what I do to ensure that no important NPCs are killed in random Vampire attacks. I've not seen any NPCs killed by Vampires unless I was there for the incident to take place. Hope this helps.

Appaullo

I've tried this already and it looks like they're killing them whether I'm there or not... Usually I find the dead bodies after I arrive.

Adam Warlock

I've tried this already and it looks like they're killing them whether I'm there or not... Usually I find the dead bodies after I arrive.
same here . i`ve received letters of inheritance from people in cities I haven`t visited in quite a while.
If the vamps aren`t killing them , who is ?

Also have had plenty of daytime attacks , as well

in just the short time since the dowmload , vampires have been much more deadly to the citizens than the dragons ever were

Alduin91

Altmer
same here . i`ve received letters of inheritance from people in cities I haven`t visited in quite a while.
If the vamps aren`t killing them , who is ?

Also have had plenty of daytime attacks , as well

in just the short time since the dowmload , vampires have been much more deadly to the citizens than the dragons ever were

I agree completely. I've basically forgotten the threat of the dragons because I've been so busy worrying about the vamps.

Kalin of High Rock

Faal Lun Vahdin
After I completed the Dawnguard story line, the Vampire attacks died down. Though Riften seems to be a popular target, still. I see more activity there than any other place, even after helping the Dawnguard defeat Lord Harkon.

I have gotten inheritance letters from cities I haven't been in for a while. I was playing around in The Rift, when I saw a Legendary Dragon not far from Riften. It didn't seem to want to play with me, it circled about a few times then gave the distant roar that usually signifies the encounter is over. It flapped off across the lake towards Riften and I shrugged and went about my business.

A half an hour later I returned to the mill to inform some poor woman that her missing husband had indeed been slain my bandits. As I exited her cabin, I was stopped by a courier (naked save for boots, cap and loincloth) with five letters of inheritance for me. I can only assume that the dragon made good on its threats to the area.

I wish the letters had information to the circumstances of the person's death. "We regret to inform you that Soandso has been (eaten, Stabbed, Flung to his/her death) by (monster, person or villainous association). Here's 100 gold, the Jarl gets 10. lol"

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts