• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
A bit extreme. I'd do something more along the lines of find them, and give them a fine / arrest them.
Yeah, that would be a modern, mature way to handle it. Unfortunately, historically, it was punnished by immediate death. No trial, do not pass go, arrow to the gizzard.

Yeah, that would be a modern, mature way to handle it. Unfortunately, historically, it was punnished by immediate death. No trial, do not pass go, arrow to the gizzard.
However, this is Skyrim. They do have a legal system. It's not instant death. The player has the option to pay the fine or wait in jail. Anyone else should be well able to do the same.

However, this is Skyrim. They do have a legal system. It's not instant death. The player has the option to pay the fine or wait in jail. Anyone else should be well able to do the same.
So, what kind of Bounty for Poaching? I still think 500 is a nice round number. (Half that for murder.) It would be more complex to add different fees for Rabbits-Mammoths (Giants kind of handle that department, anyway.) And maybe bring the price down for the License. Say 200?

nordicowboy

Must be my Nord blood......
I'd add a small fee (500 Septims?) from the Hold's Steward. Also, a Huntsman to take care of Poachers, and may send you on Radiant quests to kill them? Not that Bethesda's listening, but that's how I'd do it...
If I didn't already have to wade through Draugr trying to become Thane in the first place, I'd agree with you.
" Oh, you Killed the Wolf Queen and saved us all??? :mad:GIVE ME MONEY BEFORE YOU SHOOT MY RABBITS:mad:"

If I didn't already have to wade through Draugr trying to become Thane in the first place, I'd agree with you.
" Oh, you Killed the Wolf Queen and saved us all??? :mad:GIVE ME MONEY BEFORE YOU SHOOT MY RABBITS:mad:"
True, but I thought we already determined that Thanes are automatically exempt? Being a landed noble, and all...

The license price should be higher than the bounty.

Hacksaw

I'm amazed that such a long discussion has taken off over poaching. But two things to keep in mind:

One is that the game can't be viewed in any realistic historical context. The empire in Tamriel has a modern sense of justice, fairness, and equality that could only exist in a modern western democracy.

The second is that the developers probably see poaching as something completely trivial. Now this thread proves otherwise, but I would've thought the same thing.

So if there was a real, workable set of game mechanics and dialogue based around poaching, how many players would actually use it? I can't remember a time I ever stopped to kill an animal that wasn't attacking me to begin with. The food system is also fairly well-done (hey c'mon, its funny :p) and I never considered cooking worth any effort.

I'm amazed that such a long discussion has taken off over poaching. But two things to keep in mind:

One is that the game can't be viewed in any realistic historical context. The empire in Tamriel has a modern sense of justice, fairness, and equality that could only exist in a modern western democracy.

The second is that the developers probably see poaching as something completely trivial. Now this thread proves otherwise, but I would've thought the same thing.

So if there was a real, workable set of game mechanics and dialogue based around poaching, how many players would actually use it? I can't remember a time I ever stopped to kill an animal that wasn't attacking me to begin with. The food system is also fairly well-done (hey c'mon, its funny :p) and I never considered cooking worth any effort.
I wonder, regarding the poaching system, how would the local government know if you killed a deer? Would they have some guy follow me around til I bought a permit?

Actually, I'd call it more Rare, as it's not a necessity, and generally skipped over by any except the most "Hardcore" players. I think it would add a little risk to my favorite Smithing grind, which is to hunt up as many hides as I can get, then Improve Forsworn Armor until I can make something decent. I'd personally rather hunt the plains than mine, or shop for ingots, and those kooky Reachmen even provide the Tanning Racks/Workbenches to posthumously temper their loot. If there were a Fine, assuming a Witness (I'll just have to hunt down, kill, and possibly strip to keep quiet) then it would make it that much more interesting.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts