Playing a female for the first time

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Wildroses

I've never felt the need to roleplay a guy yet. But I have picked up from lurking and watching YouTube videos that there are minor dialogue differences here and there, which is neat. Apart from the lad/lass his/her man/woman of course. Normally games dialogue gets incredibly convoluted to try and avoid gender pronouns, so it's nice everyone knows I'm a woman.

Sometimes.

If you're a woman, Sibbi Black-Briar leers: "Well aren't YOU a sight for sore eyes! I've always got time for lovely ladies!" first time you see him. Sigrid keeps telling you reluctantly how pretty you are and unreluctantly to stay away from her husband. Alva is always saying: "Well aren't you the pretty one? I bet all the men chase after you" in a pretty venomous tone. As for Arondil of Yngvild, if you're female, the second he catches sight of you he goes: "Ah! Another plaything for my collection!" as he attacks. If you've been reading his journals, you know exactly want he wants to do to you.:eek:

But it's not all bad. Olfina Grey-Mane is really nice, always commiserating with you about how hard it is to be a woman in Skyrim, and encouraging me to stay strong because men will come to respect me, maybe even fear me. Narri says in a friendly, unjealous way that I'll have the men of Falkreath wrapped around my finger in no time. Erdi tells me in this star-struck voice that I make the part of the dashing heroine look so appealing.

It doesn't quite make up for having Arondil get so excited his first sight of you though. First time he said that to me once I got over my shock I fought him going "Does he say that to all characters? Including guys? Please tell me he says that to guys too..."[Finishes fight and goes to YouTube to check] "AAAAAH! NOOO! HE DOESN'T! HE WANTED TO...AAAHH!" I nearly reloaded just so I could kill him again.

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
I've never felt the need to roleplay a guy yet. But I have picked up from lurking and watching YouTube videos that there are minor dialogue differences here and there, which is neat. Apart from the lad/lass his/her man/woman of course. Normally games dialogue gets incredibly convoluted to try and avoid gender pronouns, so it's nice everyone knows I'm a woman.

Sometimes.

If you're a woman, Sibbi Black-Briar leers: "Well aren't YOU a sight for sore eyes! I've always got time for lovely ladies!" first time you see him. Sigrid keeps telling you reluctantly how pretty you are and unreluctantly to stay away from her husband. Alva is always saying: "Well aren't you the pretty one? I bet all the men chase after you" in a pretty venomous tone. As for Arondil of Yngvild, if you're female, the second he catches sight of you he goes: "Ah! Another plaything for my collection!" as he attacks. If you've been reading his journals, you know exactly want he wants to do to you.:eek:

But it's not all bad. Olfina Grey-Mane is really nice, always commiserating with you about how hard it is to be a woman in Skyrim, and encouraging me to stay strong because men will come to respect me, maybe even fear me. Narri says in a friendly, unjealous way that I'll have the men of Falkreath wrapped around my finger in no time. Erdi tells me in this star-struck voice that I make the part of the dashing heroine look so appealing.

It doesn't quite make up for having Arondil get so excited his first sight of you though. First time he said that to me once I got over my shock I fought him going "Does he say that to all characters? Including guys? Please tell me he says that to guys too..."[Finishes fight and goes to YouTube to check] "AAAAAH! NOOO! HE DOESN'T! HE WANTED TO...AAAHH!" I nearly reloaded just so I could kill him again.
Yeah, these are all great examples of some of the differences! I know Aela also says something about having a sisterly bond with you and that it's not always easy being a female in Skyrim.

Nord culture does appear to be pretty heavily male dominated. I mean, there are a slew of strong Nord women, but I get the impression that the typical, non-badass household is patriarchal. Then again, guards in every city are of mixed gender.

Wildroses

Except in Whiterun, which has always made me wonder if there is a little more discrimination there. Maybe that's why Olfina has such a chip on her shoulder about being female.

Which reminds me...has anyone ever felt that standard dialogue takes on an entirely new slant when gender changes? The first time one of my girls heard the line: "Heard about you and your honeyed words" from a male guard I thought: "Is he hitting on her?" And when guards say to one of my girls: "Hey summoner! Conjure me up a warm bed, will you?" I always imagine her saying back: "Only if you don't expect me to join you in it."

xsneakyxsimx

I don't have a problem choosing either a Male or a Female character, but I do have a certain pattern. When I want a brutish style character, I tend to go for a Male. If I want dexterity or agility, I go for a Female. I have had exceptions to both, but that's how I seem to go about it.

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
I don't have a problem choosing either a Male or a Female character, but I do have a certain pattern. When I want a brutish style character, I tend to go for a Male. If I want dexterity or agility, I go for a Female. I have had exceptions to both, but that's how I seem to go about it.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Mannulus

Article Writer
Yes, I love the sexual appeal they put in for us females in Skyrim. You walk around Whiterun/Solitude and I swear I can hear:

mlfw9032-Why_hasnt_this_been_done_before.png

Zyphur

Would be kind of awkward picking a husband if it were me.

Why? If it was me I'd just go with it. If my character's a girl I'll probably marry a guy character. If my character's a guy I'll probably marry a girl character. Whatever, lol.

Not that I would in Skyrim since I only play one character. Skyrim's fricken huge. >.< lol

Bad-People

Supreme Overlord of the Barbarian Tribe of Hothor
I'm kinda 50/50 on this(Though I do have a couple of profiles just for certain character types. One for only females, one for only bad-guy, stuff like that). Besides, playing a female tends to make 3rd person more pleasant.

Ysmir

The Dragon of The North
:sadface: For some reason or another I can't play a female character for more than two hours.

Avaloan

I am a guy but I play as a female character. it's not because I attract to women it's I feel more familiar.