• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Vuraoi

Okay so I have been playing Skyrim for probably about a month now and I'm in love and all, but I was wondering, is Skyrim really all that, or should I want to play another TES game too. I really think Oblivion sounds cool, but can it compare with Skyrim? And I know there are some big differences, but I thought it would be good to play another TES game.

And sorry if this is in the wrong section...

Konvoy

Well you have to consider how old Oblivion is, i think it was 2006 which obviously is old for a video game :p Plus they made some amazing additions to Skyrim. I'd still say try it out because I plan on going back to play it again eventually.

Zigfried

Oblivion is awesome it holds up really well for an older game though there are a lot of differences between the two. I'll try to list some of them

Everything levels with you so you're never totally overwhelmed or underwhemed
Spell schools are divided somewhat difrently and necromancy is practically non existant for the player
The controls are somewhat different but can probably be configured
In addition to skills you have attibutes that you put points in every level
Instead of choosing perks you get all perks automatically at certain skill milestones as you advance them.
Two additonal skills Athletics and acrobatics which with high levels you can run faster than a horse and jump like you woudln't belive
Where Skyrim's architecture and cultire is more norse Oblivion is set in cyrodil which is more roman.
Far fewer voice actors, you'll hear the same voices over and over again though Patrick Steward voices the emporer
Instead of dragons you have oblivion gates spawning deadra.
The Blades are in their strength and you will see their headquarters and become one if you want

That's all I'll say so as not to give too many spoilers.

But since Oblivion has been out so long there are a bazillion mods out there from new houses and castles to whole new quest lines new lands and land beautification. There's even a mod to let you leave cyrodil and explore tha land of the Khajit.

nordicowboy

Must be my Nord blood......
Apart from weapons and armor having to continuously be repaired, the GOTY edition of Oblivion is a must-play.

Kalin of High Rock

Faal Lun Vahdin
Well you have to consider how old Oblivion is, i think it was 2006 which obviously is old for a video game :p Plus they made some amazing additions to Skyrim. I'd still say try it out because I plan on going back to play it again eventually.

Oblivion isn't "old". I mean, it is, but it's still from this genertion of games. Be it one of the first of this generation, but still. Highly playable. Especially with The Shivering Isles, which was a huge DLC (more like an expansion) that saw several graphic improvements over the origional game. On top of that, it was amazingly fun.

I would direct anyone to The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, who was curious about other Elder Scrolls games. It's my favorite in the series. You could also mod Morrowind heavily, there is a mod that brings it up to Oblivion graphics, if that's so very important. I'm sure there will soon be a mod that will bring both Oblivion and Morrowind up to Skyrim's graphics as well.

I have yet to play Elder Scrolls: Arena, but I have started a Daggerfall play through. Now that's an old game.

Van Moro

I started playing TES from oblivion, and its an awesome game.

I'm very jelous of people playing from arena, as that had all the provinces from what i hear

yeah im a huge lore buff, so starting so late makes me a sad panda ):

osheao

van moro- i'm interested in knowing the reactions of people who are going from skyrim backwards to morrowind. to see whether or not they like character-based or player-based mechanics.

i started with morrowind and how it and oblivion are superior to skyrim in certain ways is obvious to me.

roleplaying is secondary to rule set, for me. i don't want to have to use my mind for gameplay that should already be in the game. i'll do the roleplaying, regardless. but, it will never make up for actual in-game mechanics.

OP- sorry, lol, YES, go play goty oblivion and then morrowind, modded or vanilla. i've only played morrowind/oblivion on the xbox for well over a thousand hours (i play it about once a year) and when i get a gaming computer a bit down the road i will be purchasing all the TES games again.

Morgan

Skyrim was my first TES game, but I got really into it. Over the last couple months, I've been traveling a lot and my laptop isn't robust enough to handle Skyrim, so I bought a compilation that includes Morrowind and Oblivion with all their DLCs etc. After loading a bunch of mods, particularly a giant high-res texture pack, and reconfiguring the controls to match Skryim, Oblivion does not seem outdated at all. I tried Morrowind as well, but forgive me fans, going backwards like that was just too clunky to really get into.

Pros: I much prefer the attribute-driven system of Oblivion. I'm not sure if I prefer the static skill-rank base or the perk system for gaining more powerful moves and abilities. The mods available for Oblivion are incredible. I can't even imagine what will be out for Skyrim in a couple of years. It's hard to even think of cons for Oblivion, because it's so likely that someone has modded a fix for it.

Cons: There are some things that I prefer in Skyrim and can't find a mod for, little stuff like making a keyboard shortcut for "take all", giving some external indication that a container or plant has already been looted, things like that. Compared to the more-or-less constant encounters in Skyrim, Oblivion world seemed a little underpopulated. There are many mods that fix this, but finding one that fixes it to your liking may take some effort. I dislike the move lag Oblivion has in third person. Leveling seems a bit anticlimactic, especially since you have to rest for it.

I haven't done much in Oblivion but explore and experiment with mods. I haven't progressed the main quest at all. But it's definitely holding up way better than you'd ever expect a six-year-old game to, and no need to buy new hardware to run it!

KritikalPT

Well, if you want to play a really older Elder Scrolls game you could go ahead and download and play Daggerfall. You can get it free here (note: they made the game free to download and play, however, the first download link makes it so that you don't have to go through the hassle of setting up DOSBox and it also adds a good amount of patches that fix a lot of bugs the game inicially had).
That is, if you can handle the huge amounts of bugs that the game has, then go ahead and play it. The game has, in my opinion, the best character creation of all time.
If you do end up playing this game, then I'll give you this huge advice: if you decide to go to a dungeon, then for the love of God/Science/whoever, buy the Recall spell, unless you fancy getting yourself lost in a huge dungeon for a few hours until you either find what you're looking for or the exit, or both.

Xarnac

The older games have deeper mechanics and dont hold your hand as much as Skyrim. Particularly Morrowind, which is very in depth. Skyrim in comparison is rather cut up and dumbed down.

Konvoy

Well of course Oblivion isn't THAT old but in the video game industry things move quick. The graphics are on another level in Skyrim, then the whole holding your hand thing as mentioned above. These types of sandbox games aren't really for everyone because some people think they lack direction, whereas others (probably everyone here) enjoys that type of sandbox game where you can go adventure and get lost :)

GimnliTheNord

Good for Skyrim:

All Of It

Bad for Skyrim:
Glitches

Good for Oblivion:
Really no Loading Time
Good Story
Killing Demons
The Dlc's

The Bad for Oblivion:
If you want less people to die you have to keep going to Oblivion Gates and Stop it
Repairing Weapons and Armor
Sleeping to Level Up
Weird Controls if use to Skyrim

I would give it a shot. i Would have beaten it but Skyrim came out :l

osheao

bad for skyrim:

no attibutes.
handholding.
worthless skills.
meaningless world.
map.
audio/video/settings options.
voice acting.
no underwater combat.
lack of intelligence/maturity.

the fact that i have to do everything i can to improve the game in my fing mind.

unacceptable.

GimnliTheNord

Handholding? This really isn't a big Family Game, Worthless skills, Okay be a warrior and not a mage, It would be cool without a map, But it would be needed, Im Pretty sure there is one On Pc/Tv

The Voice Acting is amazing, Unless your meaning Count of people
Um, There is no one In the water but Killer Fish, So i can get that

Uhh. Let's See game's don't need to be intelligent.

A Dragon wants to destroy the world.

So do you watch a show called. ""Dragon Tales" for little kids.

Looks at box - Oh Look Rated M-

Konvoy

Handholding is inevitable if you ask me. I still talk to people that tried the game and didn't like it because there wasn't a clear enough route to take and they didn't know what to do or where to go. Some people like sandbox games more and others like to have a goal with a path straight to it. The problem at that point is balancing the game enough so both of those types of players can enjoy the game. There are obvious complications and exceptions with this but i hope you get my point lol.

KritikalPT

Handholding is inevitable if you ask me. I still talk to people that tried the game and didn't like it because there wasn't a clear enough route to take and they didn't know what to do or where to go. Some people like sandbox games more and others like to have a goal with a path straight to it. The problem at that point is balancing the game enough so both of those types of players can enjoy the game. There are obvious complications and exceptions with this but i hope you get my point lol.

Pretty much, yeah. Personally, I would much prefer having a game without handholding, but I guess I'm just used to games where you actually have to take notes, with, you know, a pen and a paper.
Heck, you were lucky enough if you didn't have to actually draw all the maps so you wouldn't get lost, and even then...
In the end, different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Xarnac

Those people shouldn't be marketed to, or even placated. They can play the 99.9% of other games that gives them what they want, a linear action game.

The hand holding isn't just in the form of ease of navigation. It's all of the cutting and taking away things that required a choice, or maintenance. It's the decision they made based on their ridiculous PR (one small example of the dumbing down: Todd says that birth-signs were ruining some peoples builds. The only way a birth sign ruined your build is if you didnt take the time to read what it said. So yeah, they are pandering to people that dont want to be bothered with having to read/think about character choice.) Or the ridiculous health regeneration is another example of dumbed down hand holding. In Morrowind, your magicka didnt even regenerate.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts