• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Renegader

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, don't bother upgrading your laptop. You're better off getting a laptop specifically designed for gaming such as Alienware as Taco mentioned. Although, the laptop will probably have only around an hour of battery life. Gaming laptops aren't really designed for on-the-go.

Vimalamitra

Professional complainer
Yeah, don't bother upgrading your laptop. You're better off getting a laptop specifically designed for gaming such as Alienware as Taco mentioned. Although, the laptop will probably have only around an hour of battery life. Gaming laptops aren't really designed for on-the-go.

I guess that depends on the person, too. I, for example, would start immediatly doing all kinds of soldering and modifications if I had a laptop suitable for that purpose. We have quite strong community for that kind of a stuff here in Finland and it's relatively easy to get how-to-do-advice.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Well, RAM isn’t really the most important component of your system and more than 4GB RAM are superfluous most of the time (especially without applications for 64bit).

Flamingtaco

Well the last tIme I rode on a plane, the guy in front of me played Crysis and COD the entire 5 hour flight on his alienware so its not that bad, unless he had a back up battery.
Ram is more important to multitasking than normal performance but still thats a fair amount and it certainly doesnt hurt.

Vimalamitra

Professional complainer
Ram is more important to multitasking than normal performance but still thats a fair amount and it certainly doesnt hurt.

I thought that having numerous cores is important if you're planning to do some multitasking. And because of that, Intel's processors usually excel over AMD's in benchmark tests. In order to process models and images rig has to have flash memory where to store them for quick use. When I tried out APB: Reloaded it usually crashed down because of the lack of memory (I have 4GB) and it didn't happen to people who had more. However, crashing might be caused, on that case, by poorly designed graphics.

But I might be wrong here, correct me if I am. Bugger, if I just knew more about subject.

Renegader

Administrator
Staff member
If a game doesn't run with 4GB of RAM that probably means it's poorly optimised - there has to be another factor that doesn't allow you to run it.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
I thought that having numerous cores is important if you're planning to do some multitasking.
Why are you suddenly talking about cores? We were talking about RAM just now, weren’t we?

Vimalamitra

Professional complainer
Why are you suddenly talking about cores? We were talking about RAM just now, weren’t we?

Be-cause, I think that has more to do with multitasking than RAM does. So, there's a reference to memory in my post. Even though, I am not talking about RAM in a most straightforward way.

Flamingtaco

I thought that having numerous cores is important if you're planning to do some multitasking. And because of that, Intel's processors usually excel over AMD's in benchmark tests. In order to process models and images rig has to have flash memory where to store them for quick use. When I tried out APB: Reloaded it usually crashed down because of the lack of memory (I have 4GB) and it didn't happen to people who had more. However, crashing might be caused, on that case, by poorly designed graphics.

But I might be wrong here, correct me if I am. Bugger, if I just knew more about subject.
They both help. Having multicore processors speed it up a lot but you need enough RAM to be able to run a lot of stuff at once. If you already have like 4gb, then adding more wont speed anything up much, youll just be able to do more at once.

Vimalamitra

Professional complainer
They both help. Having multicore processors speed it up a lot but you need enough RAM to be able to run a lot of stuff at once. If you already have like 4gb, then adding more wont speed anything up much, youll just be able to do more at once.

Thanks for clearing that up. I guess, processor could probably be a bottleneck, if you can't fully take advantage of having more RAM than 4gb. However, what's the point of buying one of those, because game will nevertheless run quite smoothly. Not anyone can afford to have a 200€ Intel.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts