• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Dragon Kin

Dovah Fen Ni Dii
Orc

i ran an orc with heavy armor, smithing, one handed, and block and it was so much fun! shield bashing with orcs is so badass. they look badass too

Kalin of High Rock

Faal Lun Vahdin
The orc racial ability is the single best in the game. If you're only looking at the cold hard facts, orc is the way to go.

An orc would almost certainly side with The Empire, it being the first nation in their history to treat orcs as more than monsters. The Legion welcomes orcs as peerless fighters and brave soldiers. Many orcs are native to the Skyrim region, they have many reasons to dislike the "true sons and daughters of Skyrim".

The redguard would most likely sympathize with The Stormcloaks. Hammerfel having successfully seceded from The Empire at the end of The Great War, most redguard nationals would view the Empire as decayed, weak and cowardly. A body unable to protect its subjects. They do not have the natural physical prowess of an orc, but redguards come from a spartan culture, and are reputed to be the finest swordsmen in all of tamriel.

Admiral Snackbar

it's a...well, you know.
Just started my second build, a one-handed/blocking/heavy armor Orc. I only have a few hours of playing time, but it's a lot of fun. He kicks ass right out of the gate. :)

Thallik the Orc

Blacksmith
us Orcs are far superior in melee combat than any other race, let alone the weak Redguards

Stabatha

Orc , you do crazy damage with the one handed skill tree, and berserker rage is so awesome at every level of the game .

If you're going for OP, Orc. HA, both weapon skills, Smithing, AND Enchanting? There's a reason I don't usually play them. Just for S&G, I once built one for maximum Tankage, maxed HA, Smith, Block, Enchant, Alteration and 1H. Capped Armor, and Dragonhide reduced all damage to 5%, then you can turtle for nigh invulnerability, stacked up the Atronach Stone/Perk, Magic, and Elemental Resistances so that only a trickle got through that wasn't absorbed, then hit Beserker Rush, and just stood there laughing. He Walked through Forelhost, didn't kill anything except the Wight Lord you need to get the key from, just let them pound on me, and yawned. (Otar, Shield of Ysgramor, and the rest self enchanted Daedric.)

Imperial, and Nord are also good Meleers, but I usually use Redguard for a Spellsword, or all around character. While not as OP as BR, Adrenaline Rush is real nice for sprining from the North Gate of Riften to Shor's Stone in 1 minute (Unarmored, or with your armor canceled by the Steed/Conditioning.) It'll also power attacks, Eagle Eye, Bashing, or whatever else you use Stamina for. The new additions of Alteration, and Destruction along with the best 1handed in the game make then the best Spellblades, even better than Dunmer IMNSHO.

osheao

the nord 1-h/light/block build was my first and backed the stormcloaks.

my orc 2-h/heavy/smith build was a great alternative to the nord and with the added benefit of experiencing the orc holds, using only orc armor/weapons and backing the empire.

Nord is actually a well balanced build. (If you stick with their racial skills.) Light Armor comes through with Stamina assistance, and never really slows you down, so Great Critical Charge is a great way to keep alive without tanking. Add Block/Bash in case you do get surrounded, or cornered, Smith with Leather, I don't have to explain this again, do I?

Speech, Seriously? Because they're so reknowned for this as much as Imperials, and Bretons. I usually go for Archery instead, because you see it a lot more in actual gameplay. I know, the OP said pure melee, but the thing is, The Dragon Doesn't Have to Land. If you build it right, your sword should be much more powerful, but it's almost vital for any Dovakiin to have some offense at a distance. And finally, Cold Resistance is a boon, with as much of it is thrown about. Battle Cry can save your life.

Not nearly as powerful as Orc, and that's what I like about them.

J

Jeremius

The redguard would most likely sympathize with The Stormcloaks. Hammerfel having successfully seceded from The Empire at the end of The Great War, most redguard nationals would view the Empire as decayed, weak and cowardly. A body unable to protect its subjects. They do not have the natural physical prowess of an orc, but redguards come from a spartan culture, and are reputed to be the finest swordsmen in all of tamriel.
Redguards did not secede from the empire, they were thrown out due to their hatred of the Dominion wanting some of their lands and would not give it up.

though i am sure someone already pointed this little fact out, i agree Redguard would ally with Ulfric and his boy-toys.

i say orc if you want heavy melee. Redguard if you want heroic renegade freedom fighter

i agree Redguard would ally with Ulfric and his boy-toys.
I always thought they would join up with the Foresworn, as a third faction, or to replace the Stormcloaks after their inevitable defeat. Probably about the time of the Thalmor War, if I were writing it.

SKYRIM BELONGS TO THE NORDS!!!!!!!

I mean, just go with the Orc. Their Beserk is usually more effective the Redguard adrenaline rush.

The Hungry Orc

Master of the Pyre
us Orcs are far superior in melee combat than any other race, let alone the weak Redguards

Amen, mah brotha.

My Volkihar character is a Orc Mage, but I've had a lot of fun with warrior Orcs. Redguards are cool too, though.

But it's possible to just put any skill you want into any race: I recently beat the Dark Brotherhood and the Thieves' Guild questline pretty quickly on a High Elf Assassin. You're looking for the bonuses straightaway, though, so that doesn't really matter.