One Handed Shield vs Two Handed On Master Diffculty

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Two handed vs one handed shield on master diffculty

• Total voters
J

Jeremius

I never played on master, simply because I have a problem with the bullet/damage sponge effect. I would say 1h and Shield would be the easiest to use on it.
What is the bullet/damage sponge effect?

What it means is that it take a lot longer to kill something, due to the enemy requiring more damage to kill, evident in Fallout New Vegas and in this game in pretty much the same way. Levelling enemies get higher health, and higher difficulty makes enemies sponges by reducing player damage.

Juracan

Dirty deeds done dirt cheap
Oh. I guess I like it that way, when I first started playing on Adept (because I think that's the default setting) by the time i reached level 50+ the game lost its appeal because the enemies weren't challenging anymore. I felt no peril and could defeat most with impunity, and I like fear adrenaline and the like.

So I reset and started on Master. Whoa a lot harder. And as I used to stand and absorb blows while dealing my own, I found a fighting style that was more like I think I would use in reality (if, in reality I was swinging swords). Dodge, weave, strike, parry, repeat. Took a lot longer. But my intent wasn't on completing the game, really kind of anti-climactic ending the narrative, but on developing my skills and character. And I feel a sense of satisfaction defeating a Death Overlord and a couple of Wights with just a bow/greatsword and some fire.

To each his own I guess

Harkin

Necromatic Mastermind
Everything is relative, depending on what you're good at or prefer. What I like should have no bearing on your choices. But one thing is clear, one method is not "Better" than the other at any level.

I like both the Two-handed tank conjuring an ally or two, and the Archer Assassin that uses fire magic if the fight gets too close. It all depends on how I feel that day.

I never played on master, simply because I have a problem with the bullet/damage sponge effect. I would say 1h and Shield would be the easiest to use on it.
What is the bullet/damage sponge effect?

Perhaps he means the fact that when u ramp up difficulty enemies dish out more damage while you sponge more, for every increase its something like a 1x multiplier on their end, and a -1x multiplier on yours, so by legendary, enemies do 3.0x dmg while you do -3.0x dmg. Not sure if thats the specifics, wikia for the deets.

EDIT - It's still a wicked challenge on Legendary, I reccommend trying it for those that have grown tired of adept.

Juracan

Dirty deeds done dirt cheap
It's still a wicked challenge on Legendary, I reccommend trying it for those that have grown tired of adept.

I will probably wait until TES VI before I go Legendary. Only because I'm having a hard time concentrating on the plot elements having gone through 4 or 5 times already. It's too bad that I didn't recognize that I was on Adept when I first started, it was only after I passed Level 58 that I bothered to look and FacePalm!!!, quietly retire and restart on Master.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
I just realize that two handed is useless going to use a shield
???? Huh? Useless?
After 5K+ hours of playing this game, I can honestly say that I have never used a shield. Ever.

I just don't see the appeal.

Harkin

Necromatic Mastermind
It's still a wicked challenge on Legendary, I reccommend trying it for those that have grown tired of adept.

I will probably wait until TES VI before I go Legendary. Only because I'm having a hard time concentrating on the plot elements having gone through 4 or 5 times already. It's too bad that I didn't recognize that I was on Adept when I first started, it was only after I passed Level 58 that I bothered to look and FacePalm!!!, quietly retire and restart on Master.

Lmao yea, there isn't really a plot tho man..theres not really a great deal of depth in any of the characters in Skyrim, sure theres lore and the fact you are Dragonborn. It's moreof a, make your own story game. You want real Narrative? Play The Witcher, much more satisfying as a whole. I also now need a decent story to play games nowadays. Skyrims still fun tho, not played a game with better dragons than Skyrim.

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member
Depends on where you're at with your character, mainly, but using a Two Handed weapon without being properly geared, leveled, and perked for the encounter will result in death. A lot of it. Too slow, too much stamina, and basically makes you a sitting duck in a world of enemies that can one shot you.

One handed and shield is by far superior for fighting opponents that are stronger than you are. It allows you to dance with them, and you use a lot less stamina generally. I myself prefer to go in without a shield, as my game has a peculiar mechanic where shield bashes with shields while moving will act as a one handed sword strike, and do damage instead of bashing. It costs me precious seconds, slows me down, and gets me hit. I consider it a feature, as I like the idea of the tradeoff of using a shield being that you have to stand your ground more.

@Juracan I would rather nerf myself rather than use the game's stupid difficulty mechanics. Things such as using basic armor and weapons, limiting perks, etc. Master and Legendary difficulties (Legendary tenfold more than Master) are nothing more than a cheap and idiotic substitute for challenge.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts