on the subject of followers

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

DWFII

The UESPwiki states that a player can give commands to a follower such as Lydia. Commands such as open a locked door, sleep in a bed, sit in a chair, pick up a book, chop wood or mine ore, etc..

But I don't see a way to do this in the dialogue tree that is available when I "talk to Lydia", nor in any set of commands. Is there a key that must be pressed to access alternate commands.

Am I missing something here?

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
There should be an option for 'give command' or something in the dialogue. Then it looks like the follower conversation just quits out. However, whatever you do next is the 'command'. So if you talk to the follower then choose the give command, then click over to a spot on the floor, they will wait there. At least, that's how I seem to remember it. I never used followers for very long and it's been a while since I had to make someone wait like that. If this doesn't work, please post back and I'll fire up the game if no one else has responded.

psyk0

No soul gem large enough.
Yeah, it's a dialogue option. We'll use Lydia as an example, so once she's following you, speak to her and say 'I need you to do something.' She'll say 'What do you need?' and after she's said that, your target reticule should change - I think it rotates 45 degrees. It'll also say 'Wait here' if you're pointing at empty space/floor.

Now, point at the thing you want Lydia to do, and while the reticule is different hit 'E' (or whatever your 'use' key is on PS3/X360). Lydia should then respond by either going and doing something, or saying 'Can't do that'. To exit this mode just hit TAB (or the 'menu/exit' button on PS3/X360) and you'll go back to normal.

psyk0

No soul gem large enough.
Good to be back :D