Oblivion players: Shall I buy?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Nameless233

I'm looking for more elder scrolls material. The aren't coming out with another dlc for skyrim. Should I buy oblivion? It doesn't look too bad graphic wise, think I can deal with it. I need more story. The fighting isn't too bad I don't think. Anyway, talk it up!!

Lady Redpool the Unlifer

Pyro, Spirits Connoisseur, and Soulless Anarchist
You shall buy it for the epicness that it is, was, and always shall be

Nameless233

This is great. I love hearing this. I'm sure I will have a great time. More replies are welcome. I believe my easily persuaded opinion has already been set by one response hoewever

Lady Redpool the Unlifer

Pyro, Spirits Connoisseur, and Soulless Anarchist
Glad to be that response:) But honestly Oblivion was great. The magic was by far better than skyrim, and the story for not only the man quests, but faction quests were just incredible

Nameless233

fluffing. Fantastic. Excuse my vulgar language.

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
I don't know.. I just couldn't get into it. My son has it, but I started with Skyrim and then I tried Oblivion and just... Meh. I guess I will try it again at some stage.
But I'd say go for it. It's still pretty good:) Especially when you recognize characters that are mentioned in skyrim. Be prepared to do a little more work in Oblivion though...eg: you need to maintain your weapons or they break on you. (check armoury in the Blades hangout for repair hammers). Things like that.

WillnRoll

My personal experience, I finished Skyrim and I felt like I need more Elder Scrolls Materials, I went and bought Oblivion, the setting is cool, but for some reason I couldn't get over the bad combat system and the graphics, I know graphics doesn't make a game, but it was a step down playing it, the right thing to do if you ask me is to play Oblivion, then go and play Skyrim, too bad I realized that way too late.

Khasrin

Fusozayiit
I love Oblivion myself, just as a piece of the whole Elder Scrolls experience. I think for that reason alone it's worth playing through at least once. Some functions in the game are noticeably improved in Skyrim, but even the parts of Oblivion that drive me crazy (goddamned lock-picking!) don't take anything away from the overall experience once you get used to them.

Though a friend of mine who played Skyrim first and tried Oblivion afterwards said it's like renting a Mustang, then going back to driving your Kia. :rolleyes:

Medea

The Shadow Queen
Oblivion is good as long as you play with a wizard. The melee combat is too repetitive and will put you to sleep after 5 minutes. But as far as magic goes, the spell creation puts it head and shoulders above Skyrim's magic, imo.

Joker

Cook, Wine Taster, Scotch Taster, Adventure Seeker
Oblivion is good as long as you play with a wizard. The melee combat is too repetitive and will put you to sleep after 5 minutes. But as far as magic goes, the spell creation puts it head and shoulders above Skyrim's magic, imo.

Spell Creation?

I'll just make a (short) list of why Oblivion is/isn't as good as Skyrim, in my opinion.

It is better than Skyrim because:
If you're a mage, it's better in every single way, from custom spells to the power of spells, to armor effecting your ability.

It's much more customizable, besides custom spells, there are not only more outfits (actual outfits, not sure about armor), but pants and shirts are actually considered separate, so you can dress your character however you want.

Puzzles are a little harder (they are still easy, but they don't usually put the answer to the puzzle DIRECTLY BEHIND THE PUZZLE OR ON THE KEY like they do in Skyrim, cough cough, please excuse the yelling)

Attention to detail (to some degree). Armor and weapons break if you don't do maintenance on them, sure it takes ten seconds to do the maintenance but still, I appreciate the attention to detail, it makes it more immersive.

Graphics: It looks like an actual fantasy game, set in a fantasy world. No, it's not "photo realistic" and on some level, I'm glad it isn't.

Varied environment: Snowy areas, swamps, forests, a capital city that looks and feels like a capital city.

It isn't better than Skyrim because:
It's a lot easier. I've been able to almost completely finish the main story, having already completed the storyline to several of the guilds as well as becoming arena champion all while at level one.

Gold (or lack thereof): Get used to being poor when you're at lower levels. I seem to remember it charging you for enchanting too, which is lame. Want to create a custom mage's hood but only have one hundred gold? Well your high enchanting skill plus your filled grand soul gem will allow you to enchant your mage's hood to give you a whole five extra magicka points.

Repetitive dungeons: Two words to sum up almost every dungeon you'll encounter: Turn Left.

Graphics: Most of the characters can be described as "ugly" and it does look dated overall.

MetalHeadManiac

Aela's TRUE husband
the combat mechanics and graphics are better in skyrim but oblivion has loads more content. theres a more of everything. more monsters to summon more enemies to fight more stuff to do the main quest is INSANE in the end. The shivering isles dlc is parallel to dragonborn but has loads more content and makes better sense. for ex: why is daedric still better than stalhrim? i paid 20 bucks for more stuff that is BETTER. It makes sense in that one way in oblicion. The many house dlcs that are specialized for certain characters in oblivion are similar to and better than hearthfire. the knights of the nine is like dawnguard and again better. Skyrim is a lot less restrictive based on leveling and skills and stuff but it simply doesnt make up for the absence of a lot of content. If oblivion had the technical stuff like skyrim i would never leave oblivion. oblivion is still great for its time.