• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Naginata

Huntress of the Shadows
What do you love about Oblivion that you wish was in Skyrim?

I liked the amount of spells in Oblivion, and I wish those had transferred over into Skyrim.
I liked the size of cities and I wish that had carried into Skyrim.
I liked all the Daedra, and I know that Skyrim doesn't have Oblivion gates but I wish some of that had been transferred over.

Tell me some of the things you loved about Oblivion that you wish were in Skyrim!

Chadonraz

I agree on the size of cities. Even though I'm always getting lost in the Imperial City, and the other cities are pretty much the same. :D

What I'd also like to have in Skyrim is NPCs discussing various rumours when they happen to bump into each other. In Skyrim they only have a maximum of two or three things they say to two or three other NPCs, and that's it. I like it, but I really like how it's done in Oblivion.

Cherry

Farfetch'd is judging you!
I agree on the city-size and the number of different spells.

Also, I think Oblivion had more interesting questlines. For example, the Thieves Guild questline actually featured a big heist at the end. Also a thing I preferred in Oblivion factions, is that in Skyrim, you always seem to join factions that are shadows of their former selves. I point to TG and the Dark Brotherhood. In Oblivion, these two were powerful, feared and damn near omnipresent. I really felt like a part of an actual organization, instead of a group of misfits like it felt in Skyrim. This is just my opinion.

Lucid

Also a thing I preferred in Oblivion factions, is that in Skyrim, you always seem to join factions that are shadows of their former selves.

Completely agree with this. In addition to the TG and DB examples you listed, the Companions questline is weak compared to the Fighters Guild. There was so much potential there that went untapped.

Amaryllis

I liked the cities in Oblivion more than Skyrim for the most part. This goes for the population, but also for the layout, and for the aesthetics. Cities in Oblivion were set up in a way that lent them personality, made them look different. I understand that all cities are essentially grown around a central hub and may not look planned out on account...well, not being planned out, but every city in Skyrim other than Solitude and Markarth looks like it was set up borderline randomly. Not in terms of function, or sense, but in terms of 'what fits here?'

For a quick example I can call to mind, the graveyard is right next to the shopping district in Windhelm (in fact, you get to it THROUGH the graveyard), which is right next to the residential district. The Inn is in the center of town, which makes it really noticeable to people coming in, but not really sensible for people looking to conduct business in the city (if we assume the cities in game are simply the representations of the cities that our computers/consoles can process, and that the capital cities aren't only a block or two wide). Additionally, cities in Oblivion all looked different. Three of the capitals in Skyrim are LITERALLY identical, despite the fact that at least the wood used to make them should be different considering that one of them is off in the frozen tundra, one is off in the swamp, and one is way the hell to the south in the temperate forests.

I also miss the number of settlements in Oblivion. I forget the names, but there were these two villages near Leyawiin that contained mostly Khajiits and Argonians, and I really liked them. They seemed like their own places, living their own lives. And there were a LOT of places like that. There are a couple settlements in Skyrim, but most of what is considered settlements are just one cabin ('Hunter's Cabin') with one or two boring ass people with boring ass dialogue. I've been hunting and fishing in these parts for years!

The ruins in Skyrim look worse. This is incomprehensible to me. Not only have graphics improved since then, but the Nords are way more into the dead than Cyrodiil was, so why do barrow tombs all look exactly the same? And you don't need to quote something about viking or celtic barrows to me, because in Skyrim, the dead have a roughly 100% chance of coming back to life at some point, AND the barrows are utterly massive. These things are way bigger than any of the cities in Skyrim. If you just cleared out all the draugr and stuff, you could fit like 3 cities population into any barrow without causing it to be crowded. The forts also look worse and get very repetitive. I guess Skyrim takes it for Dwemer Ruins, but I mean, really? And caverns...Skyrim SHOULD be better, but caves are boring and have no personality at all. They are either one room with random beasts, or they have a claw door leading to a massive ruin. There's really really really nobody who decided to live in one of those waterfall caverns? Mofo, if I got dropped into the Skyrim world according to Skyrim rules (e.g. I have at least basic competence in weapon combat), that's where the hell I'd go. Since I'm not likely to ever get picked to go rescue the Jarl's daughter from bandits, I could never buy property in any city, and I'm sure not going to slum it. If I'm homeless, I'm going to be homeless in style.

That said, I do much prefer Skyrim's interactions to Oblivion. This is both the random conversations NPCs have with each other (which always contained dialogue that made no sense), and with the player. The persuasion wheel was retarded, and there is no gentler way to say it. While I think the ability to gain affinity with them SHOULD be expanded beyond 'does some life saving favor for them,' it makes infinitely more sense than Oblivion.

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
1 thing I preferred in Oblivion was the Hidden groups that you could find, there is 1 tomb I ventured into and I found a cult of Evil argonians and then you have places like Hackdirt that hold secrets, where is that sort of stuff in Skyrim hmm? also the thing I love about oblivion the most was that unlike Skyrim, Cyrodiil Seemed more open and more wild, You can get Lost much quicker in Oblivion then you can in Skyrim for 1 everywhere you turn in skyrim there is a man made object their is no Untouched Wilderness Oblivion had that.

Rimfaxe96

I haven't played Oblivion, but judging from gameplay videos the guards in Cyrodiil are much tougher than those from Skyrim, even though it's Skyrim that is the home of the big, brawny Nords who should seem able to break your sorry neck with a few pulls if they wanted to. The Redoran guard however was more what I'd expect from, well, guards. First time I arrived in Raven Rock and stared at one he said something with a "B!tch, who you starin' at? Never seen a Redoran Guard before you stupid whelp?"-sound. That sure was more intimidating than a Nord who would submissively roll onto his back if I persuaded him to do so.
I love Skyrim's guards, but they don't really leave the impression of a tough guy I should be afraid of and better stick to the law.

tx12001

I haven't played Oblivion, but judging from gameplay videos the guards in Cyrodiil are much tougher than those from Skyrim, even though it's Skyrim that is the home of the big, brawny Nords who should seem able to break your sorry neck with a few pulls if they wanted to. The Redoran guard however was more what I'd expect from, well, guards. First time I arrived in Raven Rock and stared at one he said something with a "B!tch, who you starin' at? Never seen a Redoran Guard before you stupid whelp?"-sound. That sure was more intimidating than a Nord who would submissively roll onto his back if I persuaded him to do so.
I love Skyrim's guards, but they don't really leave the impression of a tough guy I should be afraid of and better stick to the law.
The Guards are not as Tough the Fighting system is Tougher you could be knocked on your ass in Oblivion if you did not know how to fight that's by my expierence anyway

Naginata

Huntress of the Shadows
Okay, so much yes in this thread right now.

Totally agree about the guards. Imperial Guards in Oblivion were pretty damn cool because they were like a wall of steel, and even city guards were decent. Skyrim's guards just complain about wanting mead and somewhere warm.

Totally agree about boring dungeons and how Oblivion had people living in caves and stuff sometimes, made it feel interesting.

Totally agree about settlements, I miss the little camps with just plain old people in Oblivion. They were all different and mostly just minded their own business.

Totally agree about the layout of cities. I loved Oblivion's cities, because they were all SO different and unique, and their layouts felt like a real city. Anvil is so different from Bravil, Bruma is so different from Leyawiin, Cheydinhal is so different from the Imperial City. Every city is unique and amazing in its own ways, but Skyrim's cities just mimic each other and they all feel the same, they don't feel like their own independent cities.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
I once had an Imperial Guard track me down inside Oblivion itself to hand me a fine.

I believe small things add a much larger experience. Guards and people wouldn't sleep in their armor in Oblivion, they would take it off.

Weapons and armor would get damaged from use.

In Oblivion to recieve a blessing you had to track down the Divine's way shrine and if you had infamy you had to a full pilgrimage to repent.

Subject of fame and infamy, I wish those weren't removed. I liked that certain people hated me if I had high infamy, guards in Oblivion would call me a murderous bastard on my bad character. Also the comments they would make as your fame grew, you started to become more and more known, to buy certain houses you needed some fame to your name.

I also liked how bandits would become friendly if your infamy was high, that added extra role play.

The arena, that was a good idea. I liked that you could bet your money or fight as a Gladiator. Skyrim was supposed to have an arena, they created it, had NPC's for it and even voice files. But for some stupid reason it was scrapped last minute.

Would of been good to have something in Skyrim in which you could gamble your money, the bandits tend to mention poker. Going on about two threes and having an ace hidden in their boots, I would of enjoyed playing poker in some dodgy bandit hideout.

Rimfaxe96

Subject of fame and infamy, I wish those weren't removed. I liked that certain people hated me if I had high infamy, guards in Oblivion would call me a murderous bastard on my bad character. Also the comments they would make as your fame grew, you started to become more and more known, to buy certain houses you needed some fame to your name.

Agreed. The only reaction or infamy you get is for example that angry chick working for the smith in Windhelm in case you kill Ulfric Stormcloak, or 2 different new guard comments when you do some missions for the Dark Brotherhood. But little more than that.

Wow, I didn't expect that your environment in Oblivion interacts with the character that much.
And yeah, I'm still wondering why so many things were scrapped for Skyrim. If they'd at least release some extra package for free download to get the stuff activated, it would just seem better. I mean, Oblivion has an arena, and the Nords, who fist-fight every time they get drunk late at night in a bar, don't? Seriously?
I guess they just rushed too much to get it released in time. C'mon, that was one great opportunity for an epic release date number.
11-11-11, that won't come again in 98 years. :eek:

tx12001

I once had an Imperial Guard track me down inside Oblivion itself to hand me a fine.

I believe small things add a much larger experience. Guards and people wouldn't sleep in their armor in Oblivion, they would take it off.

In Oblivion to recieve a blessing you had to track down the Divine's way shrine and if you had infamy you had to a full pilgrimage to repent.

I also liked how bandits would become friendly if your infamy was high, that added extra role play.

The arena, that was a good idea. I liked that you could bet your money or fight as a Gladiator. Skyrim was supposed to have an arena, they created it, had NPC's for it and even voice files. But for some stupid reason it was scrapped last minute.

Would of been good to have something in Skyrim in which you could gamble your money, the bandits tend to mention poker. Going on about two threes and having an ace hidden in their boots, I would of enjoyed playing poker in some dodgy bandit hideout.
Hold on are you saying if you infamy is high bandits wont attack you in oblivion? also I think you forgot 2 mention the Spell Crafting and the more Immersive Alchemy with The Elembics that ad as far as the Guards go that is proof that the Oblivion Guards are tougher then the ones in Skyrim they would follow you to the Depths of Oblivion itself and I have never seen them flee from combat I have witnessed Skyrim guards cowering in Fear so much for their Victory or Sovngarde Attitude, why I am waiting for a guard to follow me into the Shivering Isles if that's even possible Imagine how Awkkward that would be when they learn that you are trying to arrest is a Daedric God

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Yeah, bandits and other low lifes become more friendly the higher your infamy is. How it all works in Oblivion depends on the NPC's responsibility. A guard will be more aggressive than say a thief if your infamy is high. It gets switched around depending on your actions, if your character is good then those with low responsibility will dislike you.

Vidarr

The ability to speak to almost anyone, even if only about rumours or generic information.

Also, I will hand it to the cities/settlements in Oblivion for being quite a bit more cyrodiilic than Skyrim's cities are nordic.

Although I don't specifically miss Oblivion's version of the Imperial City, it was also more along the lines of tangible scale - for the other cities. Still way to small/barren for what the Imperial City is supposed to be

Things I liked in Oblivion that I wished was in Skyrim? This will be a long list but I'm going to go ahead and state that I do think Skyrim is the far better game overall. I probably spent around at the most, a hundred hours in Oblivion before I got completely bored and bought Skyrim, I didn't finish the main Quest in Oblivion and while I enjoyed what (little) I played of the Shivering Isles expansion pack, I did exactly one side quest and met Sheogorath before I gave up.

Friendlier NPCs. In Oblivion the townsfolk seemed to be rather friendly and you know...acted like civilized townsfolk. In Skyrim you're going to hear five insults for every single compliment (or just general politeness) you receive...if the ratio is even that close. Yeah yeah I know, Skyrim is a harsh tundra, civil war is happening etc etc, but still.

Guilds that felt like guilds (and quests that suited the guilds). Okay I'll have to admit this right off the bat, the only guilds I joined in Oblivion were the Mages Guild and the Fighters Guild. I completed the Mages Guild questline, but only did a handful of Fighters Guild quests. However with that said, I really appreciate the fact that you had to work to join the Mages Guild, and it took several hours worth of gameplay just to even get to the Arcane University, and then it took many more to complete the questline. Not to mention that many of the Mages Guild quests required you to use magic. Compared to Skyrim where A: in just a handful of quests you're automatically tabbed as the savior of the college and B: you have exactly three (?) instances where you have to actually use a spell.

Memorable quests. I can name many memorable quests in Oblivion, from the dreamworld quest from the Mages Guild (many of the Mages Guild quests were memorable to me), to the quests revolving around Kvatch (including heading into a Oblivion gate for the first time). Off the top of my head I can barely remember the quests I just did fifteen minutes ago in Skyrim, much less any others. A Night To Remember and Laid To Rest are the only missions I've come across in Skyrim that I would call memorable.

Being a mage. I'll keep this one short. Being a mage in Oblivion felt like being a mage, you had a lot of spells available and you could craft your own, enchanting was far better in Oblivion. Being a mage in Skyrim feels like a chore, unless you want to be a conjuration mage.

Towns that felt unique. Many of the different towns in Oblivion had different structures/building styles, which of course made each City feel unique. In Skyrim while there is a visual difference in each city, somehow they all mostly feel the same. Also, major cities in Oblivion felt like major cities. Major cities in Skyrim feel/look like...glorified villages.

More control over your appearance (for better or for worse). In Oblivion it didn't matter what you did, your character was going to look ugly. Really....really.....really ugly. However no two of your characters would look alike and you had some control over how old your character looked. In Skyrim (if you choose to play as a man) I can't help but feel like no matter what options you choose or how you mess with the sliders, you're going to look like a (at least forty year old) man who has only experienced poverty and war, but hey...beards? Also in Oblivion there was a lot of different clothing (not armor, clothing as in pants and shirts) and you could dress your character how you wanted. In Skyrim have fun with your handful of (pre-made) outfits, with three color variations of every outfit.

Yep... those are some of the things Oblivion had that I feel that Skyrim lacked. I'll add more if I remember anything.

Lady Redpool the Unlifer

Pyro, Spirits Connoisseur, and Soulless Anarchist
Alright, time to throw my two sense in:

First, magic. There were more spells, you actually had to reach a certain skill level to even use a spell, you could wield a weapon while you cast your spells, and STAVES WERE ACTUALLY AWESOME!! Oh and did I forget about making a staff yourself for any spell, or making your own spells? Oh and enchanting normal clothes to protect you better than some armors? Yea, magic was WAY better.

Second: Guilds. You got recruited by the dark brotherhood for any murder, and the quests felt like you were part of a group of shadowy assassins. It felt more like a family too, a family that you got to slaughter!! and in the thieves guild you had to move up in the ranks. You had to make the guild money before you ever saw a special assignment, and the assignments were the shadowy kind of plops you'd expect from thieves, not this kill everyone in your path to get to the treasure bullplops. The fighters guild, you actually had to be in goodish moral standing, you couldn't exactly commit crimes while rolling through their quests. And the arcane university, it was something like 8 or 9 quests before you could even join the arcane university!!!! And then, guess what? Hours more of gameplay while you hone your skills and CLIMB THROUGH THE RANKS!!!! Honestly guilds are better, the only real improvement in skyrim was the option to destroy the dark brotherhood.

Third: Weapons and armor. These were way harder to get ahold of decent quality pieces, some characters would never see the high end stuff, and you couldn't just craft it to an amazing quality, it's still low level gear. I remember running around in basic steel with a katana because I couldn't find any better gear for awhile.

Fourth: Skills. Swinging a sword wasn't swinging a mace. You had blade and blunt weapons, not one and two handed, still a far cry from morrowind, but still better than one or two handed. And we had unarmed, you could be a badass with your fists!!! We had more(and better) magic schools, we had athletics, and acrobatics(damn I miss this skill) and ACTUAL stats. Endurance, strength, willpower, inteligence, personality, speed, and luck(where the hell is my luck!!!!) I feel like bethesda watered down the skills system by alot.

Five: The arena, because I miss the roar of the crowd, the fights that actually got more difficult, and slowly gaining that old armsman's approval down below.

That's it, only five things, that make it a totally different game. Damn, now I'm gonna go play oblivion.

Ted_The_Soap

Disciple of Arkay

So much yes just in this post. This is everything that i was going to say, except for one thing.
Spellcrafting.
C'mon guys, you could add enchanting your own armor/weapons, and revamp the alchemy system, but you couldn't keep spellcrafting?

Ted_The_Soap

Disciple of Arkay
The NPC interactions in Oblivion were much better. Disposition system, NPC-NPC conversations, learning about topics just by hearing about them from said conversations. The wheel to increase your disposition with a person. Just great. (Playing it again right now.)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts