Notes and Letters, what to do

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
quickly respawning barrels are my best friend. all my junk i toss in them and they are gennerally gone within a day or 2. btw most dungeons reset after 10 or 30 days, so i dont find any need to pick up all the dropped weapons and items. Maybe something is wrong with your game or console HFC? i dont get that many lags or freezes on my ps3...

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation
quickly respawning barrels are my best friend. all my junk i toss in them and they are gennerally gone within a day or 2. btw most dungeons reset after 10 or 30 days, so i dont find any need to pick up all the dropped weapons and items. Maybe something is wrong with your game or console HFC? i dont get that many lags or freezes on my ps3...
or maybe you're just very, VERY lucky? the xbox version was supposed to be supreme compared to the ps3 version "one of the main reasons i bought an xbox actually" but this of course could not be further from the truth, in fact i happen to have 2 friends with a strange issue, both own ps3 consoles with skyrim but one's ps3 is over 5 years old while the other has the newest model which he purchased just last year, the old ass original model runs skyrim near perfect while the newest model can't run it for more than 30 minutes without a total game freeze, needless to say he is very pissed at this strange occurence.. coincidence?

DustyMayFire

Skyforge apprentice
Haha send it to Oblivion. I like that. I personally put the notes and books (or un-needed weapons) in a forge or a fire pit. I know they don't disappear, but I like to think that I actually am burning them.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
That is probably how the Oblivion Crisis started.

Dagon: "Behold my beautiful, destructive realm. Envy of all the princes, my great lakes of lava and my giant mound of... letters, spoons, wooden plates, bowls, jugs... Oh hell no, who brought this crap here?"

Dremora: "You did Master, when you bound me to that mortal. He sells us his junk."

Dagon: "You mean I'm paying for his pl***? That's it, lets fluff up their realm."

If that's true, the Dragonborn DLC is basically part one of the story of how the Last Dragonborn began the process of Tamriel's apocalypse by Hermaeus Mora, who eventually got fed up with all the brooms, tankards, letters and wooden bowls covering up the books in his library of knowledge. "Are you kidding me? MORE of this crap? How is it possible their realm even has so many plates? I"ve had enough, I'm going to make sure it's impossible for that realm to have any more of this junk permanently."

You know, I'm kind of pissed off that Hermaeus Mora killed my friend. I think I'll make a point of only selling weapons enchanted with Banish Daedra to his Black Market Dremora Merchant.
well.. problem is the devs kinda left us with "no choice" but to sell them, skyrim is the only game i've ever played where everything you drop just stays there permanately, had they designed it like other games and made them disappear after awhile it never would have been an issue.. i mean answer me this, why the hell would you ever wanna keep a simple note dropped in the middle of nowhere which reads "New museum opening in dawnstar" :confused: that makes no sense and it really begs the question of "wtf were they thinking" when they thought that'd be a good idea? no wonder this game is so hard to maintain on console, even on pc theirs just no reason for that! most times i don't even care about making money for items i pick up, i just want the damn things gone so they'll stop causing lag and freeze ups so i can play the fukin game in peace! bad game design imo.. i absolutely hate having to take the unnecessary time to make sure i pick up each and every weapon, bow, and shield that litters the ground after a fight to give them to the first merchant i see "what am i a recycling janitor!!??" but if i don't my game will likely freeze, thats just stupid and makes no sense.. i love this game but crazy tasks like that seriously make me question why i play it sometimes. :rolleyes:
Did you ever notice that it's not just stuff you drop? No matter where I go anymore, all the weapons and shields of those that I have vanquished are still cluttering up the landscape. Sure, the bodies are gone, but those things are still there. I keep kicking them as I run past. Maybe one of these days I'll take a follower and just go pick everything up and sell it. Not for profit, but just as a "Keep Skyrim Clean" campaign.

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation
If that's true, the Dragonborn DLC is basically part one of the story of how the Last Dragonborn began the process of Tamriel's apocalypse by Hermaeus Mora, who eventually got fed up with all the brooms, tankards, letters and wooden bowls covering up the books in his library of knowledge. "Are you kidding me? MORE of this crap? How is it possible their realm even has so many plates? I"ve had enough, I'm going to make sure it's impossible for that realm to have any more of this junk permanently."

You know, I'm kind of pissed off that Hermaeus Mora killed my friend. I think I'll make a point of only selling weapons enchanted with Banish Daedra to his Black Market Dremora Merchant.
well.. problem is the devs kinda left us with "no choice" but to sell them, skyrim is the only game i've ever played where everything you drop just stays there permanately, had they designed it like other games and made them disappear after awhile it never would have been an issue.. i mean answer me this, why the hell would you ever wanna keep a simple note dropped in the middle of nowhere which reads "New museum opening in dawnstar" :confused: that makes no sense and it really begs the question of "wtf were they thinking" when they thought that'd be a good idea? no wonder this game is so hard to maintain on console, even on pc theirs just no reason for that! most times i don't even care about making money for items i pick up, i just want the damn things gone so they'll stop causing lag and freeze ups so i can play the fukin game in peace! bad game design imo.. i absolutely hate having to take the unnecessary time to make sure i pick up each and every weapon, bow, and shield that litters the ground after a fight to give them to the first merchant i see "what am i a recycling janitor!!??" but if i don't my game will likely freeze, thats just stupid and makes no sense.. i love this game but crazy tasks like that seriously make me question why i play it sometimes. :rolleyes:
Did you ever notice that it's not just stuff you drop? No matter where I go anymore, all the weapons and shields of those that I have vanquished are still cluttering up the landscape. Sure, the bodies are gone, but those things are still there. I keep kicking them as I run past. Maybe one of these days I'll take a follower and just go pick everything up and sell it. Not for profit, but just as a "Keep Skyrim Clean" campaign.
yep, and if you wait too long to pick them up they'll float up into the sky and become what i refer to as "ghost weapons" and then you can't pick them up.. lol

Daelon DuLac

yep, and if you wait too long to pick them up they'll float up into the sky and become what i refer to as "ghost weapons" and then you can't pick them up.. lol
You're right! So that's why I occassionally see swords and hammers floating up above the roadways. I never really thought about it. I just though I had poltergeists. :0

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation
You're right! So that's why I occassionally see swords and hammers floating up above the roadways. I never really thought about it. I just though I had poltergeists. :0
what sucks about floating weapons is even tho u can't pick them up they still count as being there, so the game keeps up with them causing lag in the process and theirs nothing you can do about it.. frustrating as all hell. i recently started a new game and leave no enemy weapon behind, even used the restoration exploit to max my carry weight just so i can always hold them and it has helped tremendously! not one single freeze up since i started doing this and the lag is so mild its barely even noticeable.

Daelon DuLac

what sucks about floating weapons is even tho u can't pick them up they still count as being there, so the game keeps up with them causing lag in the process and theirs nothing you can do about it.. frustrating as all hell. i recently started a new game and leave no enemy weapon behind, even used the restoration exploit to max my carry weight just so i can always hold them and it has helped tremendously! not one single freeze up since i started doing this and the lag is so mild its barely even noticeable.
I never really thought about a lag being caused by it. I never have taken everything from all of my victims. I wonder if I took it and then just left 'em in a barrel or something if that would take care of the issue. I would assume they'd disappear once they respawned.

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation
I never really thought about a lag being caused by it. I never have taken everything from all of my victims. I wonder if I took it and then just left 'em in a barrel or something if that would take care of the issue. I would assume they'd disappear once they respawned.
it causes lag because the game memory has to keep up with all those weapons being there, this probably also explains why there is more lag in certain areas than others, more weapons lying around = more lag obviously. also i don't recomend placing them in barrels cause it takes a very long time for barrel and chest items to respawn.

Daelon DuLac

it causes lag because the game memory has to keep up with all those weapons being there, this probably also explains why there is more lag in certain areas than others, more weapons lying around = more lag obviously. also i don't recomend placing them in barrels cause it takes a very long time for barrel and chest items to respawn.
Then where should I put them! I can't carry all of that all the time. Besides, do I really need a 25 septim legion sword when I already have over 100K? Oh well, next build I'll have to just start keeping everything and selling it. Fortunately it appears that only weapons, shields and torches are an issue (lord knows I have so many torches just burning away on the road all over SR that I'm surprised we even need the sun anymore - and that there aren't more forest fires!).

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation
Then where should I put them! I can't carry all of that all the time. Besides, do I really need a 25 septim legion sword when I already have over 100K? Oh well, next build I'll have to just start keeping everything and selling it. Fortunately it appears that only weapons, shields and torches are an issue (lord knows I have so many torches just burning away on the road all over SR that I'm surprised we even need the sun anymore - and that there aren't more forest fires!).
you sell them to merchants, regardless if you buy them out they'll still accept things from you and its the only thing i've found so far which "truly" gets rid of an item..

Wildroses

I find about 75% of the time if I walk through floating items they suddenly remember they aren't supposed to be floating and appear on the ground, making them able to be picked up. It doesn't work all the time, and sometimes I have to jump up and down around the spot like a lunatic a while, but it is an effective way of making things able to be picked up.

Daelon DuLac

you sell them to merchants, regardless if you buy them out they'll still accept things from you and its the only thing i've found so far which "truly" gets rid of an item..
OYE! I guess that means I need to start working on Stamina (which I always ignore), the Steed stone & enhancements. Frankly it's stupid programming. Like I'm going to go back for a hide shield or a foreswarn ax when I'm at 60th level. Please. Sloppy.

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation
I find about 75% of the time if I walk through floating items they suddenly remember they aren't supposed to be floating and appear on the ground, making them able to be picked up. It doesn't work all the time, and sometimes I have to jump up and down around the spot like a lunatic a while, but it is an effective way of making things able to be picked up.
very rarely does that happen on my game, usually if i see a floating weapon its transparent and i can't touch it.

Medea

The Shadow Queen
I keep all the notes and letters I get in the small cabinet next to my bed. I like to keep all of my items separated by type in different containers/chests. I t just seems right to put the letters next to the bed.

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
I keep all the notes and letters I get in the small cabinet next to my bed. I like to keep all of my items separated by type in different containers/chests. I t just seems right to put the letters next to the bed.

Heh. I used to do the same but I haven't built a Hearthfire home in quite a few builds now. I'm usually homeless these days traveling light.

sticky runes

I never store them in bookshelves because bookshelves are for books and that's that.

But I normally put notes in any chest or satchel that is placed near a bookshelf. I never discard notes and letters because they are unique items and I like to keep them as mementos, even if they are death threats and bounties for my head. Never thought of anything creative to do with them though... Maybe I will reserve a shelf in one of my libraries specifically for notes.

I built a library in my Lakeview Manor and just store all notebooks, journals, letters etc in a chest. I have a bad habit of taking every note too.

Wicka waaah!!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts