Nord Refugee Character Diary - Hrisskar III

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

brandon

I wish that's all it took, but like I said, the first time it happened I had already been holding the trigger down for like 10-15 seconds. So holding it longer isn't a solution for me unfortunately. d:sadface:
yeah i read that and thats when i realized how the arrow was acting when it happened to me.

Neriad13

Premium Member
As if I needed any more restrictions ... I couldn't have said that better myself, lol. That's a pretty funny story about falling down the hole. Stuff like that is why this game is so much fun. And not sure how you play, but not allowing yourself to just reload a previous save really makes things interesting, right? You fall (or jump) down that hole and suddenly you realize you're stuck and can't just retreat from the cave. Crazy stuff.

I'll be updating with a new entry shortly. d;-)

It's extremely rare that I reload a previous save. I only do it if I've done something irrevocably stupid and normally accidental. For instance:

- I was once brawling with the Riften stablemaster. We were merrily throwing punches at each other, going back and forth, when I missed one of my swings and accidentally punched one of his horses. The horse screamed in pain, running out of its stable. And then every single guard in the area was suddenly on my case, trying to end the life of the horrible, horrible horse-puncher. I was laughing so hard as I was reloading.

- I was hanging out in Riverwood, poking around Alvor's forge, when I accidentally stole an iron mace from him, in broad daylight, right in front of the smith and a couple guards. Alvor went berserk, drew his massive hammer and got to work smashing through my then-husband, Farkas's health. Farkas was blocking his way to me admirably, nobly taking the hefty blows in my place, unmoving as a stone. I watched him dying in front of me without fighting back and went "Noooooooooo! I can't watch my husband die!" *reloads* He was wearing daedric armor that was thick with health enchantments and that smith was still smashing through him. I'd be very, very afraid to ever meet Alvor in combat. 0.0

Also, Yay! ^.^

BIGwooly

FYI

1. My bow glitch has magically disappeared just as it appeared. Okay then.

2. I will no longer post the day of the week for an entry as Skyrim is constantly screwing up what day of the week it is. I'm tired of constantly doing the math to make sure it's right. Horray for glitches!

BIGwooly

- 14th of Sun's Dawn, 4E 202 -

With no other way to go but deeper into the necromancer lair, I took a long breath and stepped forward. My nerves were tingling and my thoughts were racing. My boots felt heavy. Every step was an effort. Each one felt like I was stepping into my own grave. Surely there was no way I could fight past all of the draugr and necromancers that awaited me.

A short walk down the path led me to my first resistance. A necromancer was pacing back and forth, talking to herself about things I didn't understand. I snuck closer .. slowly. With nowhere to retreat to I had to be sure of my situation. I didn't want to experience any surprises.

But as far as I could tell she was alone, so I closed the distance. Mace my was ready and thirsting for her flesh. Ten paces .. five paces .. three paces ... the moment she was in range I loosed a heavy swing. The steel slammed into her shoulder, crushing bones and mashing muscle. The magic in the mace caused her to burst into flames. To my surprise she fell straight down onto her face and didn't move. A single, powerful swing had killed her .. and in turn, had elevated my confidence.

I stepped over her charred remains and came to another opening. A set of stairs lay ahead of me, but a draugr and a necromancer were walking them together. This was going to be a bit trickier. I wasn't really able to just the strength of either of them, and that made the two of them together all the more dangerous. I had to find a way to separate them.

After spending nearly an hour studying their movements, I decided to make my move. I started by making a bit of noise, to get their attention, and then quickly sprinted back up into the dark passage. This brought both of them together, and after failing to find me, they left together as well. I was irritated.

This plan obviously wasn't going to work, so I decided on a different plan. Instead of trying to lure them apart, I would lure them in together, and attempt to kill one of them outright with a single blow. The necromancer was the obvious choice for that.

So again I made some noise and got them to come close, but not close enough to strike them from where I was concealed. A bit more irritated I let them walk away and then made some more noise to lure them back. This time I took a better position, and the necromancer felt the power of my mace. I was surprised to land the blow and see him still standing, though.

Before I could dwell on my misfortune I had to raise my shield and block an incoming blow from the draugr. While doing this the necromancer began blasting me with frost magic. I countered the draugr's blow, and tried to maneuver myself closer to the mage. But it was no use, the draugr was all over me, and his blows were hurting more and more each time. I began to retreat, but I had nowhere to go. I just backpedaled and tried to think of some way out.

As the dragur closed in on me and the mage continued to freeze my blood I let loose my nord cry of fear. It was a move of desperation, and it felt like I was sealing my fate. I had hope to use that shout later as I was certain I was to face more deadly opponents than these two.

But what was done was done. They turned to flee as I began to debate whether I should pursue them or not. What happened an instant after my yell was borderline divine intervention. The floor of this passage was covered in oil, and when I shouted the oil caught fire. Both the draugr and the mage were lit up like torches. The mage fell dead within a few moments, but I had to chase the draugr down to finish him off.

I spent the following hours scrapping and clawing my way through the underground fortress. I had no idea how many hours had passed, but it felt like days. My stomach was empty. My eyes were heavy. My limbs were weary.

After quite some time and quite a few battles I made a few critical changes to my battle plan. First, I started hiding the bodies of the dead and stripping them of any useful items. You see, necromancers like to recruit help when they get into a fight, and I had been leaving plenty of dead bodies in my wake for them to raise up. Even hiding them didn't always work, which is why I started removing weapons and so forth. I'll never forget having a reanimated draugr run up to me and start pounding on me with his bare hands because I had taken his weapon from his lifeless body only a short time early. And even then they were sometimes resourceful. Another draugr whose weapon I had confiscated managed to find a pick-axe and chased me with it.

But little by little and bit by bit I made progress. Hours went by and the cavernous chamber would echo often with the sounds of battle. I wish I could say my victories were making me more confident, but instead .. the closer I got to the tower where the magic flowed to the more I felt my doom approaching. By now I had heard enough talk thanks to the chambers acoustics. These necromancers were attempting to summon and bind and control the Wolf Queen herself .. Potema. I was certain that those atop the tower would end my life seconds after my arrival.

As it turns out, there were three mages atop the tower. Over the course of a few hours I was able to lure two of them out individually, and put them to rest. I had to flee several times during my attempts as they would spot me trying to attack them from the shadows. I knew it was critical that I hurt them unseen to cause them the most harm. But my sneaking ability is limited, so it's a difficult task. I couldn't write the words to tell you how much I miss having my bow right now.

But finally I had killed all but one. I barely had it in me to climb those steps up to the tower one more time, but it was my way out. Either through death or through victory. I was ready for either.

I used the last of my paralyze potions, one of four that I had entered the cave with, on my mace. The ritual master on top of the tower refused to give chase. She was a smart one. No doubt she knew of my plans to ambush her in a dark corner. So instead she planted herself firmly atop the tower, where the magic rivers lit everything and there was no point in sneaking.

So as I reached the top of the stairs that final time I stood up tall and proud. I let the evil summoner see the nord that was intent on bringing her to her death. And then I was sprinting towards her. She readied herself, apparently prepared to fight using just her hands. But my mace struck first and she fell to the stone, unable to move. I struck her as quickly as I could .. over and over. But she survived, and got back to her feet despite the blows I was raining down on her.

She punched me hard, and I bashed her backwards with my shield, following up with yet another smashing blow. I was shocked that she was still standing and able to fight back after the beating I had given her. But then again, I knew whoever was at the heart of this foul place would be a true test of my abilities. She wasn't disappointing in that regard.

We trade blows back and forth .. one after another. I block what I can with my shield, but I'm more focused on offense and trying to land blows as quickly as I can. I'm in pain but I'm not sure how badly I'm hurt. I can't tell how badly hurt she is either. It's an epic fight that doesn't seem to end.

And then, with a very precise swing, I end the fight. My mace cuts sideways through the air as she prepares to punch me again. It crosses over her shoulder and strikes her head hard ... taking it off ... literally. For a good moment or two I just stand there, over her body. I'm relieved that the fight is over, and I'm genuinely smiling at how it ended. That was a first for me. I'd never removed someone's head with a blow before. What a fitting end to the fight and to my journey through the cave.

BIGwooly

- 15th of Sun's Dawn, 4E 202 -

I've slept for nearly a day. I was exhausted from combat and lack of sleep when I rolled into Solitude late last night. I ate two meals and fed Kili the same. This morning I sold off what I carried back, and then headed back out to the cave to recover what was left.

I was still tired, and honestly was looking forward to a fairly boring day of hauling gear. So I was quite annoyed to find a highwayman stalking just outside the cave's entrance. I did what I could to lure him away from the cave so I could enter in peace, but he wasn't having it. So it was a fight to be had.

I dismounted from Kili as he approached. Kili bolted, which was unfortunate because she was my ride out in case things got out of control. Not anymore.

Our weapons clashed, and for a bit it seemed I had the upper hand. But then the tide changed. The khajit was executing nasty spin attacks against me with his sword and dagger, and my return strikes weren't doing nearly enough damage. I had no choice but to use my fear against him.

As he fled into the forest I attempted to pursue him. Kili was gone and I felt I needed to finish this fight while I could. But the khajit was much faster in his light armor than I was in my heavy armor, and it quickly became apparent I would never catch him. That meant I only had a short time before he was chasing me, and the speed difference was going to work against me in a very bad way.

I starting running in the direction Kili had bolted. She was probably going to be my only hope for surviving the day at this point. But as I ran up the road she was nowhere to be found. I turned back around and saw the highwayman coming back up through the trees. On the road near him was Kili. It was a race!

I ran as fast as I could towards her, but I was already out of breath before I started. Every step felt like I was running through a bog, and I couldn't help but notice my adversary closing in on me with his blades. But I kept running, forcing my legs to move me forward. At the last second I reached Kili, but before I could mount her she bolted again. The murderer was too close and had spooked her.

My heart sank as she rode away, but I sprinted after her with all my remaining endurance. Somehow, by the grace of Mara, I just barely managed to catch her as the last of my breath ran out. I could hear blades slicing through air as I pulled myself onto her. I dug my heels into her side and we avoided the blows.

The khajit gave chase, but I wasn't too worried. I knew Kili could outrun him. That is without a doubt her best quality. She keeps me alive every day I'm on the roads.

But before I could escape a trio of bandits appeared before me and blocked the road. Kili slid to a halt, panicking. I controlled her, and forced her to the side of the bandits. I had a plan.

The bandits gave chase, and I led them right to the khajit. I wasn't certain if my plan would work, but it was worth a try.

Sure enough the bandits fell on the khajit, but he fought back admirably. I reigned Kili in a bit down the road and watched the fight ensue. The khajit nearly overwhelmed with him his blindy flurries of steel. One of the bandits dropped to a knee, but just as he did the other bandit finally put down the assassin with a war-axe.

But now the bandits were injured and tired, so I lured them after me on my horse. I managed to separate each of them from the group, and one by one I drove their souls to oblivion with my mace.

Now I've just returned for the second time to Solitude to sell off their gear. I have a decent amount of gold again finally, around fifteen hundred pieces. Funny how cold metal in your pocket can feel as good as a warm meal in your stomach.

Grey Fox

Awesome, truly awesome. Hrisskar III is a very resourceful character indeed. Keep up the good work!

Chukkles

Wow, i'm a bit late to the party here, absolutley astounded by your journal and playstyle.
Only on page 2 but have saved in my favs and will catch up eventually.

I will do something like this at some point, but i'm pretty far along with Tiko, my Woodelf lvl 37.
New to ES I went out with swords and shields and then started learning more magic spells but I abuse the fast travel system (pretty shamelessly) I just want to know how to play the game before I really play the game like it should be played, as per your example.

Great stuff and I can't wait to catch up.

BIGwooly

Wow, i'm a bit late to the party here, absolutley astounded by your journal and playstyle.
Only on page 2 but have saved in my favs and will catch up eventually.

I will do something like this at some point, but i'm pretty far along with Tiko, my Woodelf lvl 37.
New to ES I went out with swords and shields and then started learning more magic spells but I abuse the fast travel system (pretty shamelessly) I just want to know how to play the game before I really play the game like it should be played, as per your example.

Great stuff and I can't wait to catch up.

Thanks, man. Really appreciate the comments. Glad you've enjoyed it so far! d;-)

BIGwooly

- 15th of Sun's Dawn, 4E 202 -

So after sleeping half of the day away I rode out of Solitude feeling pretty good. With plenty of sleep and plenty of gold in my pocket, I felt a renewed sense of accomplishment. The question was what to do next. I still don't feel prepared to go back and confront the ice wraith, and the cave with the sabre cats is definitely still off limits. So I decided to head to the swamps near Morthal to collect ingredients for new paralyze potions.

I had nearly ridden to Dragon Bridge when I came across a band of imperial soldiers with a prisoner. I've encountered this several times over the past months, but had yet to do anything about it. Today I felt inspired, though. Today I would strike back at the imperials and free my fellow nord.

I turned Kili around and ran her back up the road and down to the stormcloak camp. If I was going to free this prisoner and take on a trio of legion swordsman I would need some help, and that meant the prisoner would need a weapon. I talked to the stormcloak quarter master and decided to purchase a pair of steel daggers. I could only hope the prisoner knew how to handle himself with daggers.

I also noticed the quartermaster had a very nice magical dwarven mace .. better than my own. But it was a good two hundred gold more than I had on me. Still, if I could take down the imperials and sell back their gear, maybe I could afford the new weapon. It was worth a try.

With the daggers in hand I hurried Kili back up to the road. I had poisoned the daggers to help the fight, and poisoned my mace as well. It was going to be a difficult fight for sure, and I prayed to Talos to grant the prisoner added strength today. I would need his help.

After hiding Kili in the nearby bushes I walked out to meet the patrol. They were immediately defensive and warned me to mind my own business, but I wasn't about to do that. Instead I quickly drew the daggers and cut the prisoner's bindings, handing the daggers to him a moment later. The soldiers drew their swords and I my mace, and we were in the thick of it.

The prisoner turned out to be a poor fighter. Granted, he was wearing no armor and apparently only knew how to use a blade with one hand. Within a short time he was dead on the road and I was only a few strikes away from the same fate.

There was only one option left for me, so I ran. The three soldiers pursued me, so close on my heels I expected a blade to the back at any moment. I ran through the trees, jumping down from rock to rock, trying to do whatever I could to evade the blades behind me.

As I jumped down a fairly large ledge an arrow hit me in the back and it nearly finished me. But I was alive somehow, and the soldiers were somewhere uphill from me. For the moment it seemed I was safe, but the imperials were between me and the road .. and Kili. I needed an escape plan.

I peeked around the edge of the rocks and almost instantly three arrows whizzed past my head. That was obviously not the way to go. So I spent the next hour climbing back up the rocks and winding my way around to the left of the soldiers. It was a long and difficult climb, but I made it back to the road and my horse.

But inside me, there was a piece of me that wasn't ready to give up. Just laying my eyes on the dead prisoner made me want to finish those soldiers. But how? I had already proven I was no match for them together. So maybe if I could lure them apart from each other.

I mounted Kili and rode her back down the mountain. The soldiers were on their way back up, and drew their bows the moment they spotted me. I dug my heels into Kili's side and took off again. The soldiers gave chase.

Despite all of my efforts over the next hour I couldn't seem to separate the imperials from each other. I was about ready to give up and cut my losses, but then an idea came to me. The stormcloak camp wasn't too far, and stormcloaks hate imperials as much as I do. If I could lead these legion soldiers to the camp, I might be able to recruit some real help.

It took me the rest of the afternoon to accomplish this, and took all my horsemanship skills to keep the soldiers coming. I was nearly dizzy from weaving in and out of the trees, up and down the hill .. when finally one of the stormcloaks caught sight of the imperials.

What followed was a very swift fight fought only with bows and arrows. Three imperials against a half dozen stormcloaks. It ended with three imperials dead. I looted their bodies, well two of them anyways. I think the third fell from a cliff and despite two hours of searching I couldn't find him.

stormcloakambush.jpg

After selling off the imperial gear I had just barely enough gold for the new mace. I was a little nervous about committing all my gold this way. I had just gotten myself out of a hole, and had promised not spend all my gold again. But this new mace was glorious, and I had to have it. I might not see a weapon like it again for a really long time. So I bought it. And once again, after buying dinner tonight, I have a meager fifty gold in my pocket. I hope this mace was worth it.

BIGwooly

- 17th of Sun's Dawn, 4E 202 -

It's morning and I'm in a strange town called Dawnstar. This place is far to the north, along the coastline ... and it's freezing cold. I arrived last night, just before dark. After an entire day on the road I was just happy to see some form of civilization.

My sleep last night was restless. When I arrived in town everyone was talking about nightmares. They all seem genuinely disturbed, as if they were living their nightmares in this world. Hard to explain, but it definitely made my mind wander during the night.

I'm sure by now you're wondering why I'm in Dawnstar. Well, to put it simply, I'm a fugitive. Yesterday I strode into Morthal with a sack full of ingredients to mix and sell. I'm not the least bit fond of Morthal, but it was closer than anything else and the alchemist there gives me fair prices.

But as I rode into the center of the town a guard rushed over to me. Something about the way he ran over made me think we must somehow know each other. I coaxed Kili to a halt as the guard got close. But as he got close I realized something was wrong. His palm was on the hilt of his sword.

Before I could gather my thoughts the guard was spouting some nonsense about being wanted for a crime and that I had to dismount and follow him to jail. My mind was spinning as I tried to sort things out. And then, as the guard was close to losing his patience, it hit me. My attack on the imperial prisoner escort. The third soldier, who I thought had died and fallen from a cliff, must have survived and run to Solitude to alert the guard there. Now my name and likeness were on a list, and I was a wanted criminal.

If only they knew that the imperials were the criminals. They murdered my father and pollute our land with their laws and restrictions. I was not a law breaker. I was a hero for attempting to free the prisoner. These imperials would never put me in a cell; certainly not a nord guard in Morthal who fancies himself some sort of pseudo-imperial.

So I fled from the Morthal with the guard chasing me. I rode and rode and rode, avoiding bandits and even an ice wraith. When I came across a small village another guard attempted to arrest me so I fled again. After hours and hours of pushing Kili through the blinding snow we stumbled upon Dawnstar.

And now, as the morning sun brings a hint of warmth to this frozen place, I'm embarking a new adventure. Last night I met a man at the inn who seems to know how to end the nightmares for the people of Dawnstar. I can't say I trust him completely, but he swore on Mara's name that he meant well. Only a fool would do such a thing and not mean it. Either way, I've agreed to follow him and help him restore the town's sanity. He practically begged for my help.

I'll be keeping a close eye him just the same.

BIGwooly

The day has barely begun and already it's almost been a disaster.

I followed the mysterious man up out of Dawnstar to a nearby ruin. He warned me of the dangers before we stepped inside, but as I opened the door to follow him in he was gone! I searched all over in the interior chamber, which resembled a church of sorts, but he was nowhere to be found. So I stepped outside to see if he had somehow exited without me noticing.

Outside I found an ice wraith snaking up the path toward the ruin. So I quickly jumped back inside. It was still early in the morning and I wasn't really feeling up to taking on an ice wraith. I have a bad memory associated with that.

But once I was inside I realized my dilemma. Kili was still outside, and the ice wraith was likely to kill her if I didn't come up with a plan. With no ideas on hand I decided to step outside and face the wraith.

The battle had nearly just begun when I was feeling faint from injury. Ice wraiths are just plain deadly, and I'm no match for them yet. Barely clinging to life I jumped back through the door into the ruin. The wraith couldn't follow me in, but Kili was still out there, and the wraith was probably seconds away from killing her. I didn't know what to do. If I stayed inside I would probably spare my own life but lose Kili. If I stepped out to help Kili I could be dead in a heartbeat.

My body was in severe pain and I could barely see. My vision was horribly blurred and I had much blood in my eyes. I had no time to weigh my options or come up with a plan. I had to act.

So I chose to save Kili. I swear to you that if the wraith had even brushed against my skin I would have died. I was this close to death. But I burst out from the door and in one fluid move I use my shout of fear as the wraith was in mid-attack against me, and then jumped atop my horse.

We rode back down to Dawnstar as I strained to keep from passing out. Somehow we made it, but I wasn't going to stay in that town another night. So now we're headed out on the road and hoping to make our way south to Windhelm or Whiterun. Talos grant us speed.

BIGwooly

Disaster.

Absolute disaster.

I truly wish I hadn't gotten out of bed this morning. I don't even know how to pen words at the moment. I don't know if I can. The pain .. the grief ... it's overwhelming

I can't write tonight.

I just can't do it.

BIGwooly

- 18th of Sun's Dawn, 4E 202 -

I awoke this morning in Dawnstar, hoping the previous day had been nothing but a nightmare. After all, I'm in Dawnstar and everyone is having nightmares here.

Unfortunately it was not a nightmare. My heart is so heavy and my stomach is in knots. Yesterday was the worst day since the day I left Helgen.

While traveling through the mountains toward Whiterun and Windhelm, I came across a small frostbite spider. I retreated a bit and dismounted, allowing myself time to equip my shield and mace before the spider could attack.

Everything was going fine until Kili ran off. I took off after her and noticed that she was heading straight for a second small spider. I followed, fully intent on helping her with the fight. It would be easy enough.

But as she reached the spider a towering giant appeared out of nowhere. He smashed the spider, and then began chasing Kili. My heart sank and I sprinted after them. It was a precarious situation, because I couldn't afford to get too close to the giant and risk him smashing me. But I had to find a way to distract him away from Kili, or at the very least, I had to find a way to get to Kili so I could mount her and ride away.

No matter what I tried I couldn't do either, though. I couldn't seem to get close to the giant and I couldn't seem to cut a path to Kili. My anxiety built over the next hour as the three of us ran through the woods .. the giant chasing Kili .. and me trailing the giant. Every time he got close and swung his massive club I thought Kili was dead, but then she would manage to slip away. But this also meant I could never quite catch up. It was an excruciating game of frustration and despair.

We came upon a fort and Kili ran around the corner of one of the walls. The giant pursued. I did my best as well, but I was out of breath and moving slow. I decided to try and cut up a rocky mountainside to get a better angle and avoid a potential encounter with the giant. The last thing I wanted to do was run around that corner and run right into him.

I made it across the rocks without a hitch, but as I was coming back down and angling toward Kili a pair of arrows shot past me. There were now bowmen on the walls of the fort firing arrows at me as I tried to rescue my beloved horse.

Right about then, as I was dodging a second set of arrows, the giant caught up with Kili and crushed her beautiful body with his club.

I was devastated and in shock.

Kili was dead.

The giant sauntered off and I just stood there, the blood draining from me. I was overcome with grief and loss. I couldn't move.

It wasn't until the second arrow struck me that I finally moved. The pain jarred reality back into my bones. With bowmen loosing arrows at me and another warrior charging my way with a sword drawn, I knew I had to leave. I couldn't even take a moment to say goodbye to my wonderful steed. It was heartbreaking, and I fled across the snow with tears stinging my eyes.

kilidead.jpg

So now I sit in a room at the inn in Dawnstar. I'm just about broke after drowning my sorrows in ale last night. This is a dark time, and I feel lost in this cold world.

Thomas Liu

tyl089
- 18th of Sun's Dawn, 4E 202 -

Right about then, as I was dodging a second set of arrows, the giant caught up with Kili and crushed her beautiful body with his club.

I was devastated and in shock.

Kili was dead.

The giant sauntered off and I just stood there, the blood draining from me. I was overcome with grief and loss. I couldn't move.

So sorry for your loss, but it's stories and experiences like these that now instead of leaving giants be and going our separate ways, I kill every single giant mammoth or no mammoth when I see them.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts