Nord Refugee Character Diary - Hrisskar III

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

TamrielsSavior

The Dark Nord of Helgen
Hey, BIGWooly, I know you have a good idea for another playthrough, and have amassed a sick following, so I have to ask....

Will you be doing another journal for that character, too? I sure hope so, and if you do, I think the forum style is great instead of a blog. I get almost as much entertainment from the side discussions as I do from the journal! Well, maybe not almost as much, but it's still a lot of fun reading it this way.

Keep up the awesome work and really admire your dedication to this project!

shongo3258

Vampire of Skyrim
I am taking a break from my hriskar copycat character for awhile and am trying out a ninja build. I really wish I could get a katana quickly though I have to go all the way through Bleak falls, walk to high hrothgar, and beat ustengrad. grrrrr! anyone know how to get a katana quickly?

Neriad13

Premium Member
I remember the first time that shout was used against me. I didn't even realize what had happened until I went to attack and discovered I had no weapon. Running around in the dark with a draugr trying to kill you while you search the floor for your weapon SUCKS, lol.

I did something a bit different when faced with the same circumstance. When my sword was knocked from my hand, I didn't bother calling off my offensive to go looking for it (I'd actually assumed that it was vaporized at the time). I kept on the guy and ended up punching a draugr overlord to death. It still stands as one of the most hardcore things I've ever done. :D

I am taking a break from my hriskar copycat character for awhile and am trying out a ninja build. I really wish I could get a katana quickly though I have to go all the way through Bleak falls, walk to high hrothgar, and beat ustengrad. grrrrr! anyone know how to get a katana quickly?
Here's a wiki entry that should help.

Blades Sword (Skyrim) - The Elder Scrolls Wiki

I happened to run across this one while playing around on the ps3 and went looking for the info on it specifically... But found the other page that lists the basic ones.

Bolar's Oathblade - The Elder Scrolls Wiki

BIGwooly

Hey, BIGWooly, I know you have a good idea for another playthrough, and have amassed a sick following, so I have to ask....

Will you be doing another journal for that character, too? I sure hope so, and if you do, I think the forum style is great instead of a blog. I get almost as much entertainment from the side discussions as I do from the journal! Well, maybe not almost as much, but it's still a lot of fun reading it this way.

Keep up the awesome work and really admire your dedication to this project!

Thanks for the support, bro! And yeah, the next project will involve a journal, but there's a twist to the whole thing. So hard to keep my mouth shut about it while I play this character, lol.

BIGwooly

I did something a bit different when faced with the same circumstance. When my sword was knocked from my hand, I didn't bother calling off my offensive to go looking for it (I'd actually assumed that it was vaporized at the time). I kept on the guy and ended up punching a draugr overlord to death. It still stands as one of the most hardcore things I've ever done. :D

I'm assuming you weren't playing on 'master' difficulty? I had to find a weapon because I would have punched the draugr once or twice and then been dead as dead, haha. Still, beating down a draugr deathlord is pretty badass .. on any difficulty.

BIGwooly

- 20th of Frostfall, 4E 202 -

I arrived back in Windhelm late last night after venturing out to a ruin I had discovered along the river as you follow it toward the coast. There was an alter at the entrance, and patrons had left various gifts for the souls of those entombed inside. One of the gifts was a book that told a story of none other than Ysgramor himself, who had lost his brother to the sea ghosts when they traveled to Skyrim's coast from Atmora. The ruins were the tomb for those lost souls.

After making my way inside a bit I came across the strangest thing. It was a blue orb of energy. It was small. Maybe the size of a small cabbage. And as I approached it began to dancing about. I was wary at first, expecting it to attack me and kill me with some ancient magic yet unseen to my eyes. I was ready to use my shout of invincibility in the event I had time to react.

But the blue orb did nothing but dance around me, and as I pushed on it was joined by a second orb .. then a third and a fourth and a fifth. Pretty soon I had a half dozen or so of the strange things with me, and despite my initial concern I now felt oddly comforted by their presence. They seemed to be leading me forward.

blueorbs.jpg

And I came to a room with a large gate. Just in front of the gate, on the ground, lay a man who was dead but had definitely been alive recently. He looked to be a scholar, as he wore no armor and carried no weapon. He did have two books in his possession .. one a children's story book that I found amusing .. and the other his personal journal. In his journal he had written down some of the translation of what was written on the walls of the room.

All was so in Atmora
land of truth and our home

Man in his throne,
so should he be
Whale in the sea,
so should he be
Eagle in Sun's Sky
so should he be
Snake in the weed,
so should he be

Sorrow! For the Sea-Ghosts took Yngol
Prize Brother of Sail from
Atmora's fleet

And non on land
nor sky, nor sea
would ever again
be as should be

It was a beautiful rendition of the story I had read in the book outside the ruins. The journal went on to talk about how the man was blocked by the gate but that there was a lever handy right in front of it. And there he lay dead, with the gate still shut.

Now I had known the moment I walked into the room that the gate would require some thought to open. I recognized the pedestals on the sides of the room with their familiar carvings. These were moveable rock, and had to be set just right in order to make the way open or safe. I had seen these plenty of times before, my first being at Bleak Falls Barrow many, many months ago.

So I lit a torch and scoured the room for clues on how to set the stones. But despite my efforts I couldn't seem to find the clues I needed. But I knew they had to be nearby. That was how the ancient nords designed these puzzles. It had to be carved into the walls somehow ....

And that was when my thoughts went back to the poetic story I had just read in the scholar's journal. He had deciphered what was on the walls that I couldn't read myself. And all the clues were right there in the text.

Man in his throne ...

throne.jpg

Whale in the sea ...

whale.jpg

Eagle in Sun's Sky ...

eagle.jpg

Snake in the weed ...

snake.jpg

And just like that the stones were set and I was able to open the gate without harm. I probably owe my life to that dead scholar and his translation abilities.

Further I delved into the ruins, expecting draugr to attack at every turn. But the entire place was eerily absent of active draugr. The only life seemed to be that of the bouncing blue orbs that followed me everywhere. I began to wonder if they were the souls of the draugr, and if they would eventually do me harm.

Finally I came to a bridge across water, with a door on the other side that bore the mark I sought. Surely a word wall was ahead of me. My pulse quickened with excitement and dread, since the wall would certainly be protected by more than these friendly blue companions.

bridgeanddoor.jpg

I continued through the door and through the tombs, and eventually came to another door. This one was also familiar, but not in the best way. It was just like the door at Bleak Falls, and required a dragon claw to open. Having not found a dragon claw on my way in, I was stuck, and couldn't proceed.

So after thinking over my predicament at the bar last night, I'm going to head to Riverwood. I believe the shopkeeper there still has the dragon claw I recovered from Bleak Falls. I only hope he's willing to sell it and that I have the coin to afford it.

BIGwooly

Hey Wooly, how many hours have you played Hrisskar?

Just checked this for you and the numbers (I'm on Xbox) are: 379.20.50

So I'm guessing that's 379 hours, 20 minutes and 50 seconds? The time is a bit skewed as I often have the game paused while I write up a journal entry or check Facebook or make some food or whatever. So I'm guessing actual playtime in the game is probably more like 175-200 hours.

BIGwooly

- 21st of Frostfall, 4E 202 -

So Lucan Valerius in Riverwood was unwilling to sell me the dragon claw device I retrieved for him from the bandits in Bleak Falls. Needless to say I was annoyed that I had ridden all day only to come up empty-handed. But while sitting in the local inn that night I remember that the shopkeeper in Winterhold had offered to sell me a similar claw some time ago. I wasn't interested at the time because I had no use for it. But now ...

The question was whether or not she would still have it. It had been months and months since she offered to sell it. While it's not exactly a slice of beef, it felt like a long shot that she would still have it after all this time. But I had no other options unless I wanted to try and locate a different ruin. And that wasn't appealing considering I was certain this ruin had a word wall deep inside.

So after another long ride I found myself in Winterhold, which is a miserably cold place and full mages and people who think they are mages .. and I'm not fond of either. But Birna, the shopkeeper in town, still had the claw to my great surprise and joy, and I procured it from her for a mere fifty coins. I almost felt bad to pay so little for something so valuable. But she seemed happy to have the coin in her hands, so I'll leave it at that.

It's only mid-afternoon but I just feel tired and have decided to relax at the inn for the rest of the day and spend the night. After fleeing from a dragon yesterday and another today, I could use a good bottle of ale and some time out of the saddle.

shongo3258

Vampire of Skyrim
do you think hrisskar will attempt to defeat the dragons before returning to fight the empire or will he take out the imperials first?

Neriad13

Premium Member
I'm assuming you weren't playing on 'master' difficulty? I had to find a weapon because I would have punched the draugr once or twice and then been dead as dead, haha. Still, beating down a draugr deathlord is pretty badass .. on any difficulty.

No, I was still a Novice pussywillow back then. However, I'd put a ton of perks into heavy armor and was able to pack a pretty mean punch. It was one of my first really intense moments in the game.

bulbaquil

...is not Sjadbek, he just runs him.
do you think hrisskar will attempt to defeat the dragons before returning to fight the empire or will he take out the imperials first?

He's already taken out the Imperials (page 35, 5th of Last Seed 202) :)

Heh, time passes quickly with these restrictions. I haven't hit 202 yet even on Sjad's file (though I'm close), and Hrisskar is almost to 203.

BIGwooly

- 29th of Frostfall, 4E 202 -

My return to the nordic tombs was unsuccessful. The claw I had purchased worked as I hoped. It opened the massive stone door and revealed a chamber with a throne at the center. The throne was facing away from me, but I could see the horns of a helmet protruding upwards. Something was sitting on the throne, and I was pretty sure it was a draugr deathlord as they wore helmets with similar horns.

So I stepped into the room cautiously, mace gripped tightly. My eyes were locked on the throne and my heart sank when I saw an apparition rise from the throne. There was no doubt I was seeing a ghost, and it wore the same horned helmet that I could still see at the throne. The ghost had heard me, or felt my presence as I entered the room. It was looking for me and my blood was cold with fear.

I've faced my share of dangerous foes, but a ghost was a new thing. I had no idea what to expect, and I wasn't feeling all that confident. The thing just oozed power and evil. But I had gone to such lengths to get here. I couldn't turn back now.

I snuck closer to the apparition, my feet almost refusing to move. The ghost came to attention again, either hearing or sensing me. It moved directly towards me and I did my best to muster my courage. At the last moment I reacted and struck at it with my mace.

The mace flew through the ghost, and I rose from the shadows to greet my foe. But it was a futile move. The ghost turned to me and shouted me completely off of my feet. Now I'm a large nord, and I wear very heavy armor, mostly orcish. And I didn't just fall backwards, I flew ten .. twenty paces and slammed hard against a wall. I was severely stunned and felt as if half my life had been shouted right out of me. I knew I was in deep trouble now, but it was too late. The ghost was upon me before I could even recover enough to stand up. His giant axe crashed down on me and nearly broke my back. I struggled to rise and return a shout, but it was over. A second blow made sure I would not be able to win this fight this day.

And so I've spent the better part of the past week immobilized in bed, gritting my teeth through the most intense pain I've ever felt. I'm on my feet finally today, and by tomorrow I should be mostly back to normal, but I'm not looking forward to making a decision on what to do next.

bulbaquil

Just checked this for you and the numbers (I'm on Xbox) are: 379.20.50

So I'm guessing that's 379 hours, 20 minutes and 50 seconds? The time is a bit skewed as I often have the game paused while I write up a journal entry or check Facebook or make some food or whatever. So I'm guessing actual playtime in the game is probably more like 175-200 hours.

Heh - half a month of real time.

BIGwooly

- 30th of Frostfall, 4E 202 -

Today was bittersweet.

After hiring the services of a local swordsman, I headed back to the ruins to confront the ghost. But only halfway there a dragon appeared overhead and we were forced into a fight. My hired sword had a bow, and put it to use right away, while I used my shout of force and mace whenever I could.

Finally we coaxed the beast into a fight on the ground, and I went in for the kill while it's attention was on Stenvar, my new companion. Over and over I struck the beast's neck, looking for a weak point. It was dangerous business. At any moment the dragon could turn and bite me in half if I wasn't paying attention.

I was feeling pain all over, so when the dragon suddenly rose back into the air I was grateful. We could use the trees as cover for a minute while we recovered and the dragon came back for a second round. But as the dragon's wings carried it upward I caught something in my peripheral vision.

Turning my attention back to the ground I just barely had time to raise my shield as a giant sabre cat pounced on me. So much for recovering. I tried to get Stenvar's help but he was fixated on the dragon and I was left to fend for myself, bleeding and weak, against the nastiest feline I've ever done battle with.

My fear and surprise quickly turned to anger and I gave the sabre cat a beating unlike any other. This not only left the cat dead, but also helped me recover since my mace can magically absorb the life force of my enemies.

The dragon returned, just as I finished my business with the cat. My anger was still peaking as I rushed in haphazardly and began given the dragon a beating as well. Stenvar went to work on it with his sword as well, and after some time we felled the creature.

As much as I wanted to continue and finish the task I had set out for, I wasn't about to leave the dragon's valuable bones and scales for someone else to collect and sell. But I would need my horse to make this an easier trip back to Windhelm. Only I couldn't find her anywhere.

I looked in the trees, across the road, up the hill. Nothing. I couldn't hear her anywhere either. My earlier anger now turned to frustration. The day was slowly passing and I had paid five hundred good coins for Stenvar's service and I didn't want to have to pay him for a second day. I needed to find Dawn and get the bones and scales back to Windhelm right away.

So I continued looking for her. Obviously the dragon had scared her off, and it was just a matter of doing a methodical search of the area to find out where she had found a safe refuge. But as I came around a cluster of boulders I wasn't prepared for what I saw.

dawndead.jpg

Dawn was dead. I couldn't tell if it was the dragon or the sabre cat that had brought her fate, but she was dead either way. My frustration turned back to anger, as I had just lost a great companion, and would need to part with another thousand coin at least to replace her. And that's even if I could find a horse for sale. This day was going quite poorly.

Despite it all, we made our way back to Windhelm with what we could carry, and I sold it off. I then checked with the stable master and purchased a new horse, which I have refused to name. We saddled him up and headed back to where we had left the dragon. And not surprisingly, someone else had come along and stripped the remaining scales and bone away, so we just continued to the ruins.

Inside we found the ghost, pacing in the room where I had left him. I had use a bit of my remaining gold to purchase a bow so we could at least try and attack the foul thing from a distance. The bow was enchanted, and I had purchased it because I remember my grandfather always talked about how ghosts were not affected by regular weapons. This one would hopefully burn the ghost and keep us alive.

My first arrow flew and my mouth was open even before it hit. This time I was going to get the first strike in, and the first shout. My arrow struck and my voice lifted the ghost into the air and flung him backwards. I was somewhat surprised that my voice worked against the thing. I hadn't expected it too.

Stenvar broke with the plan to use bows and charged in with his sword instead. Such is working with mercenaries. I continued to strike with arrows while Stenvar did his best with his sword. The ghost was very powerful, though, and within a short time Stenvar was on his knees and near death. So I ran in with my mace flying to draw the shade's attention away.

It worked, and I began retreating. I was trying to evade and block blows from the ghost's deadly axe, while trying to find my voice as well. Just as I found it Stenvar made his way back into the fight, and my shout send both him and the ghost flying. Imbecile.

Just when I needed his help the most, Stenvar was back on the ground coughing up blood. So I continued my dance with the ghost. Evade a blow. Block a blow. Bash back. Strike with my mace. Feel the sting of the ghost's axe. Step away. Evade again. Block again. Get hit again. Strike back again.

Finally Stenvar made it back into the fight, as I was once again looking for the opportunity to use my voice. The two of us were hurting badly and we had reached a critical point. It was time to either end the fight or flee. The only alternative was death for both of us.

I was contemplating a retreat just as the ghost took a blow from my mace and Stenvar's sword simultaneously, and he staggered backwards. I sensed the weakness, and sensed our opportunity, and decided to push the fight at the risk of my own life. We renewed our efforts, and pushed against the shade harder than ever. We were now landing more blows than he was returning.

Finally, he fell to our hands. I nearly collapsed from exhaustion.

The ghost, it turns out, was the ghost of Ynogr himself .. the nord lost at sea in the book I had read earlier. His skeleton was still resting in the throne I had seen, and a magnificent helmet adorned his skull.

ynogr.jpg

I took the helmet and found it fit well. I also found it was a better construction than my orcish helmet, and was enchanted as well. In addition to my nord-born resistance to frost magic, this helmet would provide me additional protection against those arts.

We finished exploring the tombs but found nothing else. I left happy to have found such a nice helmet, but disappointed that I had found a word wall. I'm realizing now that not all of these old nord ruins may have word walls. Some are just tombs or other structures. I'm just going to have to keep at it.

I bid Stenvar farewell, and let him keep the leather helmet I had purchased him the day before. He had helped me kill a dragon and very powerful shade, and it seemed a tip was in order. Tomorrow I plan to head to Dawnstar .. and from there to a ruin I discovered a while ago along the coast.

bulbaquil

Yay Stenvar!

I use Stenvar as Sjadbek's perma-companion, though I think of him as Burdnar, one of Sjad's friends from Helgen (you can safely read the first two chapters of "Bear of Skyrim"; they shouldn't spoil anything for you).

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts