Nord Refugee Character Diary - Hrisskar III

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

BIGwooly

- 13th of Heartfire, 4E 202 -

Well, that was a short trip. I never made it to Riften. Instead, as I was traveling cross country across an area with hot springs and thermal cracks, I came across some ruins. There were bits of time scattered all over, and I even found a draugr wrapped in burial cloth in one of the hot pools. Then I noticed what looked like an alter, and there was another draugr on top of it.

I approached to investigate, but then heard a shout and felt the stinging chill of an ice bolt as it penetrated my armor. Two mages were running down a hill towards me, cursing me with their tongues and loosing more icy projectiles with their hands.

I retreated behind an ancient pillar and began taunting them into using their magic against me. Each time I showed myself they would cast their spells, and I would duck back behind the pillar to avoid the blasts of magic. My goal was to get the two of them to use up all of their magika, at which point they would be forced to fight with whatever weapons they were carrying .. most likely daggers. I knew that my mace and shield, along with my voice, should be able to easily overpower two mages with daggers. Provided of course that their daggers weren't enchanted with powerful magic.

But after some time it seemed the mages were still plenty energetic about perforating my hide with spears of ice. I hadn't seen either of them drink magika potions, but it's possible I missed it if they were quick about it. Still, even with potions it seemed by now that at least one of them should have been exhausted of their magical abilities. The sky was turning dark and it was going to be night soon. How long had this standoff been underway? Hours for sure.

I decided I needed to switch my strategy and head on the offensive. So I began to use my fiery shout against them periodically. It's effectiveness seemed minimal though, as they were keeping their distance. So I switched to a shout of force, which also had minimal impact given the distance between us. I finally decided it was time to move in and put my mace to the test.

My first effort to do this taught me a valuable lesson. While each individual strike of ice caused me pain, it wasn't severe. My nord blood offers some natural protection against frost. Cumulatively, though, the shards of ice took a toll on me as I tried to get closer to one of the mages. And I say .. tried .. because I had neglected to consider that frost magic has a freezing effect on it's victim, and can really slow you down. I began to worrying that I was going to become frozen in one spot, and then I would be helpless against their attacks.

So I retreated again, as quickly as my frozen feet would allow, and dropped over the side of a ledge into cover. The mages closed in again, but smartly maintained a safe distance from me. They also had split up now, and I was about to be caught in a crossfire .. in the dark. Things were not looking good.

As the freezing effect slowly wore off, I altered my plan once again. I determined which of the mages was closest to me, and sprinted towards him. As he prepared to unleash some ice at me I shouted at him with force, but not full force. Just enough to disrupt his attack and stun him briefly. This allowed me to sprint and close in on him without taking any damage.

He had recovered by the time I reached him, and my first move was to smash him with my shield, thus disrupting his next attempt to attack me. Then I put my mace to work. As the mage recovered from the shield blow, he turned and ran, trying to create some distance between us. He was a cunning opponent for sure. I followed in a sprint, but I was absorbing strikes of ice from the other mage and it was slowing me down just enough. My target was getting away.

So I shouted a full shout at him this time, and stepped back to avoid the other mage's long range attacks. My victim tumbled across the rocks and landed in a heap, and I ran to him as quickly as I could. This time I was more careful to alternate each mace strike with a bash of my shield. Although I was getting blasted with ice from the accomplice mage, my target was unable to fight back or run away. With my skin freezing and in pain I crushed the mage's life.

Now I had to deal with the second mage, but I needed to recover. So I found safety behind some rocks again, and gritted my teeth through the pain of the frost that coursed across my skin. It made a horrible sound, like the slow cracking of thin ice, and the frosty vapor that came off my skin remind me of a man's breath on a cold day.

I spotted the mage as he came down a hill, so I circled around the rock to maintain cover. I wanted to be completely recovered before I engaged him. But I wasn't going to get a rest in this fight. While my eyes were on the mage I heard an enraged shriek to my right, and spun to find the mage I had just killed bearing down on me with crazed eyes and a steel dagger. These weren't just mages. They were necromancers!

The undead mage fell on me with his blade and I didn't have the presence of mind to block the first strike. I was still a bit in shock. But I quickly regained my senses and let him feel my mace for a second time. We alternated strikes with each other, while the other mage continued to send bolts of frost at me. The undead mage was frantic in his attacks, and one with less experience may have succumbed out of sheer panic, but I did not. I began blocking his strikes and countering them with strikes from my shield. Soon enough my mace found enough openings to put the undead back into the world of the dead, and he dissipated into a cloud of magical ash.

I turned my attention back to the other mage, and shouted him off of his feet. Our fight was very similar, with me rushing over and using my shield to keep the mage off balance while my mace did the dirty work. Eventually he perished, and I examined their bodies. Both mages had been wearing special robes that allowed them to regenerate their magika much faster. It's conceivable that neither of them would have ever actually run out.

In utter darkness I made my way back to my horse. I couldn't find her at first, but I could hear her, and that eventually led me to her. Then it was back to Windhelm to rest and start anew in the morning.

BIGwooly

Yeah. Expert level Dead is Dead with all the other restrictions in play, as I understand it?

I tried a Dead is Dead once on Adept with the intent of playing MQ, Civil War if I got through it, Companions if I got through that, and choosing the side I'd follow out of Helgen and the side I'd take in the Civil War randomly. Didn't work out so well when I accidentally gave Malborn none of my inventory. I died for realsies in the Thalmor Embassy needless to say :)

Yes, I'm considering expert level dead is dead, with all of these restrictions plus maybe a few more I've been thinking of. But trust me on this, there is a really good twist on how this will work. d;-)

Neriad13

Premium Member
Yes, I'm considering expert level dead is dead, with all of these restrictions plus maybe a few more I've been thinking of. But trust me on this, there is a really good twist on how this will work. d;-)

Once your character dies, he will awaken as a draugr? :eek:

pl*ps. Now I need to know what it is. When are you starting it?

BIGwooly

I can't really say, as I want the twist to be a good surprise. But I will say I doubt anyone else has ever gone this direction.

As for when it will start ... well, whenever Hrisskar retires to a life of peace and solitude and ale and women or whatever, lol.

I can't really say, as I want the twist to be a good surprise. But I will say I doubt anyone else has ever gone this direction.

As for when it will start ... well, whenever Hrisskar retires to a life of peace and solitude and ale and women or whatever, lol.
OO! OO! I think I have it, but I can't figure out the spoiler tag.

TamrielsSavior

The Dark Nord of Helgen
Looks like your question already got answered, which is good. I don't have much time to actually browse the forum, so I don't know what other journals are out there.

Thanks for the kind words on the journal. And yes, the next project I have in mind is going to be (dare I say it) even more epic? We'll see. d;-)

I bet! I know you must be pretty busy between work, playing and journaling (and not necessarily in that order! Lol) so I figured I would ask the forum in general. Thanks for the response Mr1, but why did you say this one is over?

BIGwooly, I came across this from your link on your hardcore playstyle post. Seems like the regenerating health part of Skyrim takes some of the realism/difficulty away from you. Have you considered playing a non-mage vampire that follows your same restrictions? No health or stamina regen during the day while outside would accomplish a lot of that. Being non-mage takes aways the good bonuses of being a vampire and you could just roleplay that you aren't really a vamp. Wouldn't help in caves or dungeons, but would add to your realism in needing food and potions to recover.

DarkEastwood

Yeah I've been reading about 1-4 pages a day since about last week. I'm currently on page 16 and am very much enjoying it :p People saying the ending is really good, amkes me very excited. I'm glad you ended it a traditional way, not just keep on going until you get bored and stop. Great job so far! Let's hope you don't post your new one before I finish :eek:

bulbaquil

...is not Sjadbek, he just runs him.
I bet! I know you must be pretty busy between work, playing and journaling (and not necessarily in that order! Lol) so I figured I would ask the forum in general. Thanks for the response Mr1, but why did you say this one is over?

BIGwooly, I came across this from your link on your hardcore playstyle post. Seems like the regenerating health part of Skyrim takes some of the realism/difficulty away from you. Have you considered playing a non-mage vampire that follows your same restrictions? No health or stamina regen during the day while outside would accomplish a lot of that. Being non-mage takes aways the good bonuses of being a vampire and you could just roleplay that you aren't really a vamp. Wouldn't help in caves or dungeons, but would add to your realism in needing food and potions to recover.

I doubt Hris has DG. :)

TamrielsSavior

The Dark Nord of Helgen
I doubt Hris has DG. :)
You don't need DG to play that way as a vamp. I was playing that way on PS3 with my last character. Just need to avoid stage 4 so people don't attack you on sight!

BIGwooly

THIS JOURNAL HAS NOT ENDED

I'm not sure where this came from so I just wanted to officially state that this journal has not ended. I did mentioned another project idea I had, but that in no way indicates that this journal is close to ending or that it has ended. I've had the idea for the other project for several months.

So stay tuned as the adventures of Hrisskar continue ...

Cheers!

Nononono, I meant that Filim was over.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts