Nord Refugee Character Diary - Hrisskar III

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

bulbaquil

...is not Sjadbek, he just runs him.
Real time? Just solving the puzzle, right? Not finding it?

Real time to solve took me about 10-15min I think. I was starting to get a bit frustrated, lol.

How did the devs intend for the player to solve that puzzle, anyway? Trial and error? I mean, trial and error would in fact be in character, given that your character almost certainly knows next to nothing about Dwemer, but... It's pretty clear that you need to get all four lights on; it's not so clear how to do that.

BIGwooly

Because that isn't how General Stores work. They operate like pawn shops. They don't make the goods, they just buy low and sell high.

Thanks for answering for me. d;-) This is exactly the correct answer.

BIGwooly

How did the devs intend for the player to solve that puzzle, anyway? Trial and error? I mean, trial and error would in fact be in character, given that your character almost certainly knows next to nothing about Dwemer, but... It's pretty clear that you need to get all four lights on; it's not so clear how to do that.

Yeah, I was looking all over the room for clues on how to solve the puzzle. Trial and error seemed like the dumb way to do it. BUT .. after looking all over the walls, picking up all of the ruined books, etc. .. trial and error led the way.

BIGwooly

- 10th of Heartfire, 4E 202 -

I woke this morning not sure what to do next. I have an elder scroll in my possession, but I'm feeling ill-prepared for this destiny I seem to bear. It's a miracle of the gods that I've made it this far. I consider that they have helped me, but the gods can change their minds as easily as the wind picks up a leaf. What if today they decide they are bored with my plight and leave me to my own devices?

If I learned anything yesterday, it's that immortals easily lose interest in mortals.

So I need to strengthen myself if I'm going to continue on this path. I sense that my future holds much more danger than my past, and my past has been fraught with danger.

I can always improve my combat skills, but my real strength is in my voice. It always has been. My voice will give me the greatest advantage in any situation. My adversary is dragon, and my tongue can speak their language against them. So I need to increase my knowledge of this language. I need to learn every word .. every shout .. that I can. I need to learn them and become adept at focusing their power together. This is how I will strengthen myself and increase my chances of surviving this ordeal.

I still have the old sketch in my journal of the dragonstone I recovered. If my discovery holds true, I should be able to locate more word walls and learn more of the dragon tongue. It appears there may be such a wall located between here and Windhelm. I'll see if I can find it today. I'm packing several days of food just in case.

BIGwooly

- 10th of Heartfire, 4E 202 -

My expedition to find the word wall between Winterhold and Windhelm did not go well. Alduin has raised a dragon in that area, and no sooner had I begun my search when I was set upon by the beast. I'm still not ready to confront a dragon on my own, so I had no choice but to flee to Windhelm. Thankfully the dragon lost me as I rode through the trees near the road.

I arrived in Windhelm around noon, and ate my lunch while I consulted the dragonstone sketch again. It seemed there was a concentration of several word wall locations right near Windhelm. So after downing my seared salmon and bread, I headed out to find one of them.

For the rest of the day I rode all over the mountains.

It was tedious, and by the time evening rolled around I had to head back empty-handed. Tomorrow I will try again. This time, instead of following the road, I'm going to follow the river. The river forks south of Windhelm, and near the fork in the river is a word wall location. I hope to find it.

BIGwooly

- 11th of Heartfire, 4E 202 -

I rose early this morning to make sure I got a good start on the day. I had a lot of riding ahead, it was all likely to be off of roads and trails. Not easy on me or Dawn.

While following the river I came across a cabin. It didn't look like much of a home, but it was more of a home than I had. Whoever lived there might be able to point me in the right direction to find what I was looking for.

But as I approached the entrance I heard a raging roar and a giant bear bolted out at me. Luckily I was still atop Dawn, and luckily she didn't completely spook and throw me from her and into the river. My day and my life would have ended right then and there.

Instead I was able to turn her and we took off with the furious mer in tow. Up the hill we went, and then I turned my horse around some rocks and dug my heels in. She quickened the pace and we raced right past a sauntering giant.

When we were a safe distance from the giant I coaxed my frightened Dawn to a stop and let her catch her breath. I was looking back toward the giant when suddenly the bear reappeared. It was still chasing us!

I was about to dig my heels in again but then the gods smiled on us. As the raging animal raced past the giant, it attack the bear with it's massive club. The bear howled in pain and it's anger increased, if that was possible ... and it turned to attack the giant.

Well, a bear is a formidable danger, but a giant is much more so. Within a few minutes the bear collapsed, it's life beaten from it by a giant that barely seemed agitated by the whole affair. I chuckled, and then we moved on.

A short while later we found a cave and I marked it on my map. This may be one of the locations hiding a word wall. If the area outside of the cave is any indicator, this place will be crawling with spiders. And not the small kind.

Another hour or two of exploring led me to an interesting area with hot springs and steam cracks and boiling pools. I navigated through this carefully, and then thought I spotted the dark shape of another cave entrance in the distance. A few minutes later I was in front of another cave, and marked it on my map. This one seems to match up very well with the locations marked on my sketch.

There is a dragon nearby. Too close for my comfort really. But I can't take Dawn into the cave. I'll have no choice but to leave her outside and hope the dragon doesn't spot her. We're on the backside of a large rocky hill, so she should be save from the dragon's sight. Still, its shrieks and bellows don't make me feel any better.

And now .. to find another wall ....

BIGwooly

- 11th of Heartfire, 4E 202 -

So the cave I entered was a place called Eldergleam Sanctuary. At first I was expecting to run into a troll, or a cave bear. The cave was crude and appeared abandoned by men. That usually means there is significant danger ahead.

But then I came to a point where the tunnel opened into a cavern and I couldn't help but notice the steps ... made by men.

eldergleampath.jpg

I touched my hand to my mace and entered the great room cautiously. It was beautiful, though. Giant rays of light poured in from openings in the ceiling, and massive waterfalls followed. There were all types of vegetation, with butterflies and dragonflies darting about it all. It was a spectacular sight, and I found myself walking the path and not paying attention.

eldergleamcavern.jpg

But then I saw a man across the room. He had just knelt down by one of the many streams flowing about. My hand went back to my mace and I moved forward more slowly. And as I did I spotted a bridge, in very good condition, and a man sitting next to the bridge. I approached still more slowly, crouched and ready for action.

But the man eventually spotted me, and likely wondered why I was crouched. He welcomed me to the beautiful sanctuary, and I realized I was among decent people that weren't looking to slit my throat and take my gold. Still, you can never be too careful, so I remained somewhat on guard.

After looking around I met a woman who explained the history behind the place, and the importance of a tree located high above the streams and plants and rocks where we stood. The tree was Eldergleam, and it was unreachable due to it's sprawling root system. It was the most beautiful thing to see, though.

eldergleamtree.jpg

The woman told me of a rumor that a certain weapon would cause the roots to move and allow one to pass, but she quickly dismissed her story as just rumor .. and would say no more. It was intriguing, but I was there to find a word wall, and after having another look around I realized I was not in the right place to find one. As beautiful as this place was, it wasn't what I was looking for.

So I bid it farewell and spent the rest of the evening exploring on the way back to Windhelm. I managed to come across some more dragon burial sites, which have all been emptied. I'm now starting to doubt my theory on the markings of the dragonstone. Eldergleam Sanctuary seemed to be in the exact position of one of the markings, but there was no word wall. There was, however, a dragon burial mound nearby.

It's possible that the markings correspond to dragon burial sites, which would leave me in a bad state. I need to learn more of the language, but I may not know where to go to do that. I'll sleep on it tonight and see what I come up with in the morning.

BIGwooly

- 13th of Heartfire, 4E 202 -

After wasting my time at Eldergleam Sanctuary I decided to check out the other potential word wall location I had found. It was another cave, but this one boasted a particularly menacing entrance. All around the entrance were cobwebs and bones and carcasses. It was pretty obvious I was going to run into spiders inside. I loathe spiders. Loathe.

But I was determined to locate another word wall. So in I went.

The first thing I noticed was that the inside of the cave was somehow more menacing in appearance than the outside. It's tight and dank passages were coated with cobwebs, and within a few hesitant steps I had the vile stuff in my mouth and all over my armor. I hate that feeling. It's like I'm being suffocated just knowing I'm covered in the stuff.

I didn't have long to meditate on my annoyance as I could hear the unmistakable sound of spiders crawling ahead of me. Out came my mace and my shield and I prepared for the worst. From the sound of it, I was facing at least two or three spiders.

Make that four. Luckily they were all very small, and I dispatched them one by one with a shout of force or a crushing blow from my mace.

Deeper I ventured into the cave system, killing more spiders with metal and sound. In one cavernous room, with a large drop to a pool of water below, I killed maybe a dozen of the monsters. Many of them I blew from the ledges with a strategic use of my shout. The last one fell to fire that my voice spoke into existence.

I continued ahead, killing more spiders and eating more cobwebs. My stomach alerted me that it must no longer be daytime outside, so I ate some cooked beef for dinner. Normally I bring along some ale to help wash my meal down, but I was trying to travel light. Oh how tasty an ale sounded in that moment. If not to wash the beef down, then at least the wretched cobwebs.

My stomach full, I pushed on. I squeezed along through the tight passages until I came to a decent size room with two small spiders on the opposite side. I stepped forward cautiously, feeling that something wasn't right. Now you would think, given that I had been keeping my eyes on the ceiling constantly as I explored the cave, that I would have looked up as I entered this room. Any time I'm in the presence of spiders I keep watch on the ceilings.

The enormous spider floated down in front of me like an apparition on a string.

giantspider.jpg

I froze, hoping it hadn't seen me, but then I decided a second later it was best to take action. I released a shout of force, which flung the giant arachnid and his two cohorts back against the cave wall. Whether it was my shout or the crushing force of the larger spider, I don't care .. but the two smaller spiders died as they hit the wall and the larger one slammed into them.

By this time I had already retreated into the tunnel I had come from. I instantly recognized that it was likely too small for the larger spider to enter. So I was safe and sound while the beast stormed around just outside the passage.

As he calmed down I snuck out and shouted him against the wall again. I repeated this approach many times over, and then switch to bathing him in fire. I don't really know which was more effective, but in the end I defeated the great spider with only my voice. I was happy with that.

I was not happy with the fact that I had just spent a day and a night in a spider-infested stink hole and there was no word wall in sight. As I left the cave the sun was rising and it's brightness reminded my eyes of the time I had just spent in the cave. I was tired and frustrated, and headed back to Windhelm to catch a few hours of sleep.

Now it's mid-afternoon, and I'm heading out to try and explore a location near Riften. If this next location turns out to be nothing but an ancient burial mound, I may have to give up this plan of action.

Eriksen

Hello there! I just registered so I could tell you how much I'm enjoying reading this journal. I don't have the time to play like this, or do the write up, but love reading the work of others. You clearly put a lot of effort into this, and it makes for excellent reading! I'm only up to about page 9 of the 39 page thread, so I've still got lots of catching up to do!!

TamrielsSavior

The Dark Nord of Helgen
Hey, BIGwooly, another nee member sending out props to your awesome tale.

Since I am all caught up, and at work thus unable to continue my hardcore character right now, anyone know if there are any other journals out there that have made it past a day or 2 that are woth reading?

Please keep them coming, and I can't wait to hear about your next character/playthrough!

Since I am all caught up, and at work thus unable to continue my hardcore character right now, anyone know if there are any other journals out there that have made it past a day or 2 that are woth reading?

Please keep them coming, and I can't wait to hear about your next character/playthrough!
Well, this diary is over now, so don't post on it, but try searching "Dairy of Filim - A Hunter". It had a really good ending. In fact, if you click on his profile, you could find his other diary, but he just started it.

BIGwooly

Hello there! I just registered so I could tell you how much I'm enjoying reading this journal. I don't have the time to play like this, or do the write up, but love reading the work of others. You clearly put a lot of effort into this, and it makes for excellent reading! I'm only up to about page 9 of the 39 page thread, so I've still got lots of catching up to do!!

Wow, thanks. That means a lot because keeping this up hasn't been easy, lol. Glad you're enjoying it. If you're on page 9 you've still got a lot of good stuff ahead to read. d;-)

BIGwooly

Looks like your question already got answered, which is good. I don't have much time to actually browse the forum, so I don't know what other journals are out there.

Thanks for the kind words on the journal. And yes, the next project I have in mind is going to be (dare I say it) even more epic? We'll see. d;-)

Neriad13

Premium Member
Looks like your question already got answered, which is good. I don't have much time to actually browse the forum, so I don't know what other journals are out there.

Thanks for the kind words on the journal. And yes, the next project I have in mind is going to be (dare I say it) even more epic? We'll see. d;-)

If'n you don't get whacked by a wolf at level one, anyway. ;)

bulbaquil

...is not Sjadbek, he just runs him.
Yeah. Expert level Dead is Dead with all the other restrictions in play, as I understand it?

I tried a Dead is Dead once on Adept with the intent of playing MQ, Civil War if I got through it, Companions if I got through that, and choosing the side I'd follow out of Helgen and the side I'd take in the Civil War randomly. Didn't work out so well when I accidentally gave Malborn none of my inventory. I died for realsies in the Thalmor Embassy needless to say :)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts