Nord Refugee Character Diary - Hrisskar III

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
I have question: I started one of these characters, and when I died I did what you do and pay the people 300 gold and wait a week. My question is, can you do this without reloading? I'd like for the people I killed to remain dead, but when you have to load, they come back to life.
I too am fairly curious about this. It sounds like it would break immersion, but it would be needed, y'know?

BIGwooly

I have question: I started one of these characters, and when I died I did what you do and pay the people 300 gold and wait a week. My question is, can you do this without reloading? I'd like for the people I killed to remain dead, but when you have to load, they come back to life.

Unfortunately I don't see any way around it. If you die, you have to go to a previous load. Maybe on PC there is a mod for this, but I play on the console so it is what it is.

You could always do your own variation of the rule and save more often or go to the latest auto-save. Just be careful with this because it takes a bit of the punishment away from dying. And dying should be baaad .. mmmkaaaayyy ...

DarkEastwood

Oh yes I know :p I'll just digress the comsequences of dying. I had a rule that was even worse than yours (and wasn't Dead is Dead) wher when you die, you must drop everythng you own. I excluded it out of horrible frustration.

And also, (I'm only on page 7, so no spoilers please) did your character hate the Imperials before the Helgen incident? And also, why didn't he get the better judgement that a dragon attacked Helgen and not Imperials?

BIGwooly

- 7th of Heartfire, 4E 202 -

I rode into Windhelm this afternoon, so exhausted I'm surprised I didn't ride right past the stable and into the river. My eyes still hurt from the blinding whiteness of the above ground world. Being down in the depths of the dwemer ruins for so many days has nearly made me blind like the falmer.

It's amazing that I spent so much time down there, but left so much unexplored still. Despite my desire to see the sun, or at least feel the cold blast of a snowstorm, I wanted to stay down there and just absorb the dwemer culture. It's truly remarkable the civilization that they built, and so much of it is just not understood. And nevermind all of the valuable items I left behind. A treasure hunter would go insane in that place.

The important thing is that I finally located the place to inscribe the rune that Septimus, the crazy old man, had given me. I also now have in my possession an actual elder scroll. It makes me nervous to carry this. Honestly. Such power is contained inside, such knowledge. I've learned enough over the past week or two to know that the scroll is beyond my comprehension. It must be. I don't dare even peak inside it.

The room where I inscribed the rune was a marvel to behold. I would sketch it here but my eyes hurt from riding in the daylight. My fingers are tired and sore as well, from holding my mace and my shield at the ready for such an extended time. No, I can't sketch today.

In fact, I've eaten a large meal and I'm headed to bed in the middle of the afternoon. I was up all last night wandering the dwemer ruins. I must sleep. Now.

I find it fun to kinda "lose" track of time in those ruins. Like you just wake up and find a way out, and its freaking midnight. Nothing is quite like it.

BIGwooly

Oh yes I know :p I'll just digress the comsequences of dying. I had a rule that was even worse than yours (and wasn't Dead is Dead) wher when you die, you must drop everythng you own. I excluded it out of horrible frustration.

And also, (I'm only on page 7, so no spoilers please) did your character hate the Imperials before the Helgen incident? And also, why didn't he get the better judgement that a dragon attacked Helgen and not Imperials?

That's actually a pretty cool restriction. I'm sure it was really frustrating, but if I had heard of it or thought of it before I started I probably would have done it, lol. By the way, my next project will be involving 'dead is dead'. d;-)

To answer your question, yes and no. Hrisskar grew up with a dislike for the empire, born mostly from his father's views and opinions. His father, although he disliked the empire's methods and attitudes, was always still civil to them and treated them as fairly as anyone else. So when his father was killed by the imperial troops at Helgen, Hrisskar's dislike turned to hatred.

As for Helgen and a dragon. That is nothing more than a rumor, started by the imperials to deflect any criticism that may have come from their raid. Right? d;-)

DarkEastwood

Probably one of the best parts about this play style, is no world map. I really feel like I'm knowing the landscape better, and being lost is really half the fun of it! One time, I was on my way to Windhelm from Whiterun, and I somehow ended up in Dawnstar. I honestly don't know how this happened.

Also one other rule I established for myself is I must pay my followers 10 septims and hour that they're with me. Housecarls excluded, since they're pretty much meant to be your slave.

BIGwooly

It's definitely much more immersive without the map and the HUD compass. It forces you to pay attention to the world you're 'living' in.

So you're paying companions 240 gold per day? I'm assuming you aren't playing with many of the other restrictions I use because for my character 240 gold a day would leave me poor very quickly, lol.

DarkEastwood

Well I am using all your restrictions, but I rarely use followers and if I do, it's just to clear a bandit hideout or something. That. usually takes about 4-8 hours which the loot pretty much pays me back twice as much. But currently, I'm broke. I absolutely despise Two-Handed Bandit leaders.... I owe the inn too much money (600+ gold)

BIGwooly

Well I am using all your restrictions, but I rarely use followers and if I do, it's just to clear a bandit hideout or something. That. usually takes about 4-8 hours which the loot pretty much pays me back twice as much. But currently, I'm broke. I absolutely despise Two-Handed Bandit leaders.... I owe the inn too much money (600+ gold)

Maybe you could consider an alternate restriction. You have to pay a companion 500 gold to follow you, right? Well, that gold could be good for a specific amount of time .. like 1 day .. or whatever. I really like that idea. Each additional day could be 250 gold, or half the initial rate. I love the concept because it never made sense to have a follower you paid 500 gold to just agree to follow you indefinitely. You've inspired me with a restriction! d;-)

BIGwooly

- 9th of Heartfire, 4E 202 -

It took me two days but I finally reunited with Septimus in his cave of madness. He was pleased I had returned with the rune inscribed, but he was still losing his mind over the fact he couldn't figure out how to open the giant dwemer lockbox in the cave. I didn't have the heart to tell him he might never open it.

As I was preparing to leave there was a large magical disturbance and the exit from the cave was engulfed in some sort of cyclone of strange blue magika. I spent the next hour trying to find an alternate way out of the cave, as I had no intention of walking into that vortex of light. But there was no other way out. I was trapped.

So I approached the exit with caution, my mace and shield at the ready. But I was not sucked into the magic as I expected, and nothing sprung forth to attack me. Instead, the voice of a daedric prince confronted me. It was Hermaeus Mora, the same prince that Septimus himself had given his mind and soul to.

The prince spoke to me for some time, and eventually inquired of me to serve. But Septimus was right there before me, practically mindless .. numb to reality. With fear in my heart, I declined the prince's offer to serve. The prince was not pleased with this, and assured me that I would change my mind eventually. The tone was ominous, and I left the cave with a sense of unease.

When I arrived back in Winterhold later that evening there was a fight in progress on the street. I stayed out of it, unsure of what was going on and not looking for any more trouble. After a bit it was over and an elf lay dead in the street. It turns out he was a worshipper of Boethiah ...

bulbaquil

...is not Sjadbek, he just runs him.
Well there are a lot of followers that don't require the 500 up front. These are the ones I pay the 10 gph. The mercenaries, I pay 500 up front, then after 1 week I do 10 gph.

Alternative method: Hire the merc, take a note of the day of the week, dismiss them when the same day rolls around, and re-hire them if you still want their services.

BIGwooly, about how long real-time did it take you to solve the Dwemer button puzzle?

BIGwooly

Alternative method: Hire the merc, take a note of the day of the week, dismiss them when the same day rolls around, and re-hire them if you still want their services.

BIGwooly, about how long real-time did it take you to solve the Dwemer button puzzle?

Real time? Just solving the puzzle, right? Not finding it?

Real time to solve took me about 10-15min I think. I was starting to get a bit frustrated, lol.

Neriad13

Premium Member
Em..Hermaeus Mora's actually the Daedra involved with Septimus.

Real time? Just solving the puzzle, right? Not finding it?

Real time to solve took me about 10-15min I think. I was starting to get a bit frustrated, lol.

Man, you should've seen me doing the similar puzzle that's needed for a College quest. The problem is that ever since I first got the game, I've had a persistent glitch that renders me unable to see spider webs or beams of light. No fiddling around with settings or adjusting the graphics quality seems to fix it. Unless there's something blatantly obvious that I'm glossing over, which is always a possibility.

So, I had to do this puzzle entirely in the dark, being unable to observe the beams of light that I was meant to be focusing. I swear I worked at it for an hour, though most of that hour was spent trying every trick I knew to see if I could coax those light beams into existence. And then I got angry and fus roh dah'ed the idiotic quest giver off of a high ramp. I don't think he blamed me, as he was perfectly fine with the experience.

Sighing, I gave up and just set to poking at the row of buttons blindly. After a sustained amount of poking, I somehow miraculously got it. And cheered loudly.

Username552

I'm loving this so far but if he was a shopkeepers son why doesn't he use smithing. o_O If it was a food stall I would understand but if it was a general goods store like Belethor's shop i'm not so sure.

I'm loving this so far but if he was a shopkeepers son why doesn't he use smithing. o_O If it was a food stall I would understand but if it was a general goods store like Belethor's shop i'm not so sure.
Because that isn't how General Stores work. They operate like pawn shops. They don't make the goods, they just buy low and sell high.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts