Nord Refugee Character Diary - Hrisskar III

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

BIGwooly

- 14th of Sun's Height, 4E 202 -

We waited for a few hours after the sun set to move for our attack of the imperial caravan. A storm had moved in and the darks clouds blotted out what little light would have been granted from the stars. These were the perfect conditions for an ambush.

The sentry guard was dispatched easily. Ralof and the other two stormcloaks struck him with arrows at the same time and the soldier didn't know what had hit him.

While the three of them moved up onto the ridge to provide cover, I quietly inched my way toward the camp itself. The plan was for me to cause a distraction and draw the attention of the other soldiers, while my comrades on high rained down arrows from the darkness.

Everything seemed to be going according to the plan. I had nearly reached the edge of the camp when I heard a shout. I froze, straining my eyes in the darkness to see what was happening. But I saw nothing. I merely heard the pounding of several sets of armored feet on the soggy ground.

I waited in the blackness just outside the camp. Whatever was going on, I needed to gauge what it was before I made a move. If we had to delay the attack, so be it.

But the attack wasn't going to be delayed. From somewhere above me I heard steel crash against steel. It was followed by a fury of similar sounds that were unmistakably battle-oriented. My companions had been spotted, and the entire troop of legion soldiers was now swarming them.

Throwing caution to the wind I raced through the night to assist my fellow stormcloaks. As I reached the fighting I immediately realized my shouting ability was going to be useless. It almost too dark as it was to see who was friend and who was foe, and the combatants were all bunched together such that there was nowhere I could direct a shout where it wouldn't likely hurt one of my own.

So instead I charged into the melee and let my mace fly. The action was intense, and I constantly had to take an extra moment or two to make sure I was about to strike an imperial and not one of my own. The legion troopers made it easier whenever they attacked me first. The stormcloaks held their own and showed true skill, and the four of us beat down the six of them without losing a single soul.

We did a quick search of the area to make sure there were no stragglers waiting to ambush us, and then surveyed our prize. The wagon was in bad shape, and we would need to bring back assistance to get the large, locked treasure chest back to the camp.

I decided to wait until dawn to head out. The camp wasn't all that far away, but there was a fort on the way occupied by forsworn savages. It was best to pass that during the daylight.

Dawn took it's time arriving, but eventually the sky began to brighten and I went to work dragging the dead imperials out into the road. Summarily I stripped each of their armor to send the usual message to the empire. We were going to strip our land bare of these imperial occupiers.

I had just finished doing this when I noticed three very large, very ornery brutes approaching us. They saw me and drew their weapons. I didn't know what to make of this, but I could tell these brigands meant trouble.

They charged and I shouted two of them off their feet. The third escaped my shout and closed in on me with a large orcish axe in his hand. The axe stung me as it connected with my shoulder. I managed to get my shield up before the next strike landed, but even this one staggered me on my feet. These were not your typical roving bandits. This was something else.

I recovered in time to absorb another stinging blow from the axe, my life spared only thanks to the quality armor I was wearing. I swung back and then realized that this giant man was going to kill me if I didn't retreat. And if not him ... then certainly his two friends that had just managed to overpower both of the remaining stormcloak swordsman.

For the next hour we played a game of cat and mouse, where I would alternately shout at the men or fire a few arrows at them, and then retreat with great haste. Eventually, one by one, I took them down. By now it was past noon. The fight had gone on for several hours.

I examined each of their bodies and found little worth taking, except the hundred or so gold that each had. That was a substantial amount of gold for a bandit type to be walking around with. My curiosity was satisfied when I found a note in the leader's pocket. It was a contract, to teach me a lesson for stealing, however these brutes felt like doing it. Judging by the pain in my shoulder, I knew what their lesson plan was.

The note was signed by the blacksmith in Markarth. Apparently he had seen me leave the stolen broom behind after all. Why he hadn't confronted me then and there I'm not certain, but he seemed to prefer that some hired thugs handle the job instead of the local Markarth authorities.

I piled their bodies on the road next to the imperials and headed back to the stormcloak camp. It was already evening by the time I returned. I reported to Galmar and got my new orders, and then was reminded by a pang of hunger that I needed to eat still.

The stormcloak camps are notoriously sparse when it comes to food, so I went down to the river instead. It took another hour or two but I was able to catch several salmon. I couldn't help but be reminded of all my time spent on the island back near Riverwood last year. Those seem like such simpler times now.

I was famished, and ended up eating everything I caught. Tomorrow I will have to find more food.

BIGwooly

- 15th of Sun's Height, 4E 202 -

I've stopped off in Rorikstead on my way to help a stormcloak regiment clear out an imperial fort. I had to skip breakfast this morning due to the lack of food back at the stormcloak camp. Luckily, the innkeep in Rorikstead had plenty of tasty morsels for me to purchase.

Before arriving in the small town, I came across a strange scene. At a fork in the road I spotted a cart with a chest in it. As I approached several bandits made their presence known, and I was forced to ride away. Once I was out of sight I left Cloud in a safe place and snuck back to check on the bandits. If they looked weak enough it might be worth confronting them to see what was in the chest.

But another band of thugs had arrived, and now I watched in amusement as bandits fought bandits. Everyone had opted to fight from range, with bows and arrows. The air whistled with them as the fight raged on through the morning.

After some time, several bandits had succumbed to the two-way barrage. But then things only got more interesting. From the opposite hills, a pair of hunters strolled into the fray. They wasted no time joining the fight with their bows. It was fascinating to watch. Six men circling each other in and out of the rocks and bushes, loosing arrows whenever they had a clean shot. The fight dragged on for at least another hour or more before the hunters finally prevailed and stuck the final bandit with two precise shots to the head.

I revealed myself at this point, taking care not to have any weapons in hand. The hunters had already demonstrated their abilities nicely, and I didn't want them to mistake me for another bandit.

I approached them and we spoke for a bit. They were uninterested in the chest in the road, so I bought some of their goods as a show of faith and gratitude. They thanked me and continued their hike back into the mountains, while I investigated the chest and the bodies of the slain bandits. The chest had a bit of gold and a potion, as well as some worn weapons. I took the gold and the flask and left the rest. I found a bit of additional gold on the bandits, but not much else.

And now I'm finally filling my belly. It's mid-afternoon and I couldn't be happier to see chicken breast and salmon steak. And the ale .. oh how it guides everything down so perfectly. When I'm finished I'll purchase some extra food for the road and then head to the fort. It shouldn't be too much farther down the road. I'm guessing maybe a few hours of riding will get me there before sunset.

BIGwooly

- 16th of Sun's Height, 4E 202 -

I managed to reach the fort just before sunset. The stormcloak regiment was already gathered out of sight below it. They were itching to get to the fight, having spent the entire day waiting for my arrival. I felt bad for arriving so late, but I would certainly make my presence worth it for them.

As one we moved up the mountain to the fort. I saw the first arrow fly, from one of our own. He had aimed it at a guard in the closest watchtower. The arrow struck a post next to the guards head, alerting him and the entire imperial garrison that we were upon them.

Part of our group headed for the gate, while the rest attempted to harass the archers on the fort's walls. I broke away from them and found the stairs up to the watchtower. The guard at the top was busy sending arrow after arrow into the men storming the gate. He didn't notice as I sprinted up the steps to him. By the time he felt my presence it was too late. My mace had left it's mark and claimed his life.

I rejoined my comrades and we broke through the defenses at the gate. Once inside the fort it was mass pandemonium. Stormcloaks were pouring in through the gate and imperials were pouring out of doors and down stairs. Everywhere you looked there were men fighting. A year ago a scene like this would have left me crying in the corner. Now I relish it.

Mace in hand, I waded through the fighting. The clanging of weapons on armor was music to my ears. I could have almost closed my eyes and just listened to it. But I didn't. Instead I fought my through the mess of combat, knocking the life out of anyone who crossed my path. My goal was to reach the walls above, where scores of archers were laying down fire into the stormcloaks.

I broke through the melee and reached the first wall. Three archers turned their bows to me, no doubt certain they were about to kill me. But I unleashed a mighty shout and two of the archers were torn right off the the wall. They fell a very long ways to meet their final end on the rocks below.

The third archer loosed his arrow with obvious fear in his eyes. I took the hit and closed on him. He tried to notch another missile but I smashed into him with my shield. I struck him hard with my mace and he fell backward. He recovered enough to draw his sword but I struck him again .. and again he fell backward. This time he didn't get a chance to recover. My third blow crushed him.

The fighting played on as the sun set around us. It was a beautiful painting, if not a violent one. There were more imperials than I expected, but I relished killing every one that appeared. They flowed forth from the doors of the fort like fresh water from a spring, and I drank them in. One .. two .. three .. I smashed my forward. Soldiers dropped before me like wheat to a harvester.

I was almost disappointed when the final legion soldier met his end. But Galmar and Ulfric will be happy. We've dealt the legion a nasty blow tonight.

Unfortunately I can't seem to find Cloud anywhere. I had left her outside the fort in a safe location, but she was gone when I went to retrieve her. It's past midnight now and I can barely see my hand in front of my face. I would be just as likely to run into Cloud as I would a bear. I will have to search for her in the morning.

BIGwooly

- 17th of Sun's Height, 4E 202 -

Yesterday was quite a day. By the time I reached Whiterun darkness had settled on Skyrim, and I was too exhausted to even consider writing in my journal. I barely had the energy to eat. I think I was asleep before I got my boots off.

When I woke yesterday, my first order of business was to find Cloud. Aside from being a good companion, and aside from her abilities to make so much of my life easier, she was loaded with valuables as well. I really didn't want to lose her or those items. But despite spending the entire morning searching the area all around the fort, I came up with nothing. Not even a hint or a clue as to where she was. My guess at this point is that one of the fleeing imperials came across her and used her to escape us in the failing light the night before.

So my morning started off poorly. I had lost my horse and wasted several hours to come to this conclusion. If that didn't sour my mood enough, what happened next surely did. As I was walking back up to the fort a giant shadow passed over me and the earth itself shook with a roar. I ducked instinctively and looked up to see a giant dragon soaring over the fort.

fortdragonflyover.jpg

The remnants of the stormcloak regiment began running about the fort like so many ants that have had a bucket of water spilled on their mound. The dragon made several passes, torching the living and the dead without regard. Amidst the stench of burning flesh and smoldering magic flame I made my way up onto the walls to join my friends in fending off this foul fiend of the air.

fortdragonattack.jpg

With our bows bend like the backs of slave miners we unleashed armies of arrows at the dragon as it swooped over us and doused us in flame. Again and again the dragon made his soaring attacks, and our arrows continued to find their marks.

Finally, after quite some time and after the loss of many stormcloak troopers, the dragon landed outside the fort with the force of an earthquake. We rushed outside to take the fight to it, but kept our distance and used cover as much as we could.

We continued to pierce it's scaly armor with our arrows. The dragon shrieked in anger and blinded us with it's powerful flame. More men succumbed to the burning magic as more men rushed to join the battle. It was then that I noticed a rogue horse from the fort had run out to attack the dragon. I was nearly mesmerized by the sight of a horse confronting a dragon. It was as unreal as anything I've ever seen.

fortdragonhorse.jpg

But my trance was broken as it dawned on me that I need this horse alive. This horse could get me to Whiterun .. and Windhelm. With Cloud missing this horse was my salvation.

I broke rank and rushed out to save the steed. The dragon was biting at it now, and at any moment it's mighty jaws were going to break the horse in two. I got just close enough and let out a mighty shout of force. The dragon jerked back, stunned and angered by my voice. I didn't miss a step and continued sprinting right past the evil creature so that I was at its back. This would give me the best opportunity to kill the dragon without losing my own life first.

I began striking the dragon's back over and over, sidestepping with it as it tried to turn and face me. From a distance the stormcloaks kept up their assault of arrows. The dragon was weakening by the second, and with a few more well-placed blows it finally slumped to the ground as its life left and its soul melded with mine.

Now if I were to tell you that this was the end of my day I think you would agree it was quite the day. But this was just the tip of the spear. It was barely mid-afternoon and I still had hours of adventure left ahead of me. I just didn't know it.

After collecting what I could from the dragon, I set out for Whiterun on my new horse. I had secretly decided to name this horse Dragonborn. He was obviously fit for the challenge. Now if I could only teach him to shout ...

It was about an hour or so later, as I was taking a slow pace down the road, that the next event occurred. I was riding along, somewhat lost in the view around me, and not really paying attention. I was tired from defeating an entire fort of imperials yesterday and slaying a dragon today.

So it came as quite a surprise when a man, fully adorned in very heavy armor, came crashing down from the sky in front of me. When I say from the sky, I mean this man literally came down from the sky .. as if the gods themselves had loosed him like an arrow towards the land below. As it was, he nearly struck me, which could have proven fatal for me perhaps. I halted Dragonborn and looked all around and skyward. But I saw nothing.

Perplexed, I pondered the possibilities. I investigated the body and found a good bit of gold but not much else besides the man's armor. It was obvious he was a criminal of some sort. In fact, he appeared to be a leader of some sort as well. So how did he end up in the sky? And how did he nearly come down on top of me?

I decided to mount my new horse and have a look around, but then realized the horse was gone. How had I managed to lose two horses in less than a day?

On a whim I ran back up the road, and sure enough, there was Dragonborn. He was slowly sauntering along the road. Apparently he wanted to return to the fort, as he knows it as his home. I just caught up to him as I ran out of breath, and managed to mount him again.

It was then that I noticed the mammoth nearby, as well as the giants walking behind him. Suddenly it all made sense. The criminal leader had experienced an unfortunate run-in with one of the giants. The giant surely got the better of the man and slammed him into the clouds. He had then fallen back down to the ground and landed all but on top of me. Just wait until I start telling this story at the inns. Who will believe this one?

The mystery solved, I headed back down the road toward Whiterun. At this rate I was going to be lucky to make it in time to sell some of my items to the stores. And then I saw the imperial patrol coming towards me on the road. They had a prisoner in tow, but I couldn't waste any more time. I needed to make Whiterun tonight so that I could make Windhelm tomorrow and update Ulfric on our progress. Communication is key in a war.

But as I rode past them, with no intention of stopping to free my comrade, my eyes met with his. I continued riding right past them, with an unbearable guilt welling up inside of me. Another forty paces down the road and I grumbled and turned Dragonborn around. I couldn't just let these imperials have their way with one of our own. By this time tomorrow the poor fellow could be dead, or worse.

I rode my horse right up to where they were and pulled him off the side of the road. I didn't have time to set up an elaborate ambush. The light was going to start falling soon. Instead, I dismounted and drew my mace and shield right away. I approached the patrol without hesitation, and they sensed the trouble coming.

While they drew their swords I stepped in between the rear guards and the prisoner. The closer one began to warn me with a gruff voice, but mine voice drowned out the rest of this words and sent the two of them cartwheeling into the bushes. I spun around to face the inevitable incoming attack from the remaining soldier, and managed to block it nicely. I considered a shield attack to throw him off balance, but I was anxious to end this fight. So I struck the soldier in the face with my mace. He took the blow fairly well, and struck back even as I landed my second blow against his ribs. We both groaned in pain from the blows but I didn't let up, and before he could even think of unleashing his next strike mine was already on it's way. It crashed down on the top of his helmet and crushed his spine, dropping him to the ground with a sound like a sack full of metal tankards and potatoes.

I turned my attention to his fellow soldiers, who were just starting to get back to their feet. I sprinted to them and within seconds I had killed one of them and was dominating the other. He fought back the best he could but my ability with my mace, combined with it's magical abilities and the magic abilities of my wielding necklace and gauntlets ... it was easily too much for him. After just a few rapid strikes he fell to the side bloody and battered.

I freed the prisoner and set him on his way, and then realized that once again my horse was gone. Frantic, I began running around trying to find him. I had kept the fight pretty short, so I knew he couldn't have gone far. And sure enough, he hadn't. I found him once again wandering up the road back towards the fort. This horse has a lot of courage but is stubborn like an ass. I considered giving him a new name.

After mounting the horse I decided to catch up to the prisoner and escort him to Whiterun. It felt good to have freed him from the patrol without getting him killed in the process. So we traveled the road together, as evening approached and the sky and mountains changed color.

As Whiterun came into view I was riding just ahead of the freed stormcloak, so I didn't even see the khajit attack him. Instead I heard it. The sound of twin blades cutting through the air, and then through flesh. I jumped from my horse and rushed into help my friend. He had only his fists and was barely wearing rags, and was no match for the khajit. I did what I could to disrupt the highwayman's attacks, but it wasn't long before the stormcloak was on the ground with his life leaking out onto the soil.

Furious, I unleashed a full shout of force and blew the khajit backwards. In a frenzy I attacked him, not even bothering with my shield anymore. I flurried with my mace and the khajit was overwhelmed. He fought back for a time, but my mace beat the life right out of him eventually.

And once again, my horse had wandered off. I had half a mind to beat this horse down with my mace now. But Whiterun was close and I needed the horse to help me transport the valuable dragon scales and dragonbone from the dragon I had slain. I did now begin calling him Ass instead of Dragonborn.

And this is why I slept in so late this morning. The past few days have drained me. I could use a rest .. a day at lake .. how nice that would be. Maybe when this war is finally over.

BIGwooly

- 17th of Sun's Height, 4E 202 -

Today was a good remind of why a horse is so invaluable in Skyrim. After writing in my journal this morning I sold some things in the city and then went out to the stables to collect my horse and ride to Windhelm. Only I couldn't do that. Ass had apparently broken out of the stable last night and wandered off again. Well good riddance! At least that's what I thought at the time.

An hour later, on the road just outside of Whiterun .. when I was being attacked by a fearsome man wearing dwarven armor .. I would have paid half my gold to have had that stupid horse underneath me. Instead I had to fight with this man for nearly an hour before I finally bested him. Even then, I couldn't take anything of his with me as it all weighed so much, and I didn't have a horse to help me carry it.

I continued on my way after this trial, noting that a dragon was circling in the distance. I really am seeing a lot more of them lately. It's turning into a crisis of it's own, and we're going to have to push the empire out of Skyrim more quickly so we can deal with this new threat.

With these thoughts on my mind I slowly made my way toward Windhelm. The road feels much longer when you're walking it, and much more dangerous. I did my best to avoid wolves and bears and other such things. I even convinced a highwayman to let me pass freely and that I would spare her life. It was about mid-day when I came across the bard.

His name was Talsgar, and I had actually seen him before .. several times, in fact. He travels the land looking for inspiration for the songs he sings. We chatted for a spell, and then I let him be on his way. But I noticed we were heading in the same direction, so I decided to walk with him. He might have been a bard, but I couldn't help but notice the sword on his hip. If there was trouble on the road ahead we may as well face it together.

Hours dragged past as we slowly made our way on the road. It was a beautiful walk, but my feet were sore from the road and my back sore from my armor. I was really missing being on a horse.

We crossed a bridge and came across some Alik'r mercenaries hassling a woman. She insisted that she wasn't the one they were looking for. I kept my eyes forward as I listened. There was no reason for me to get involved in whatever dispute they had going on. And it was just as well that I didn't get involved, as the Alik'r decided to move on and leave the woman as we passed by.

So I continued on the road, with the bard at my side and two Alik'r mercenaries following a short ways behind us. If we ran into trouble now I was feeling pretty confident we could handle it. Little did I know a simple skeever was about to ruin my day.

I spotted him on the road ahead. He was just sitting there, not really exhibiting any aggression. But I knew skeevers well enough. They are all aggressive, and nasty as well. But I also knew they were no match for me now, and especially not with the other blades nearby. So, as is so often the source of folly, my confidence inspired me to have some fun with the wretched animal.

As we got close I didn't even draw a weapon. The bard drew his, but I had a surprise for him. He was about to find out he wasn't the only one with an impressive voice. The skeever ran in to attack and I unleashed a full shout against it. To my utter enjoyment it blew off the road and into the air like a leaf caught in a fall storm.

But my laughter was cut short at the sight of the bard, his eyes ablaze with anger, rushing at me with his sword held high. I backed up, stumbling, trying to ascertain the situation. And he made it clear as he struck me hard with his blade. I continued backing up, and he struck me again. Why wouldn't he yield? I wasn't even fighting back.

After a third full strike against me I had no choice and had to draw my mace and my shield. I began blocking all of this blows, trying to reason with him. But he couldn't hear me it seemed, and he was intent on killing me. I tried one more time to get him to cease his attack, by putting my shield and weapon away.

But again his sword struck home against my breastplate. I knew how this would end now, and it broke my heart. I drew my weapon again and let his attacks fall against my shield. Over and over he landed his fury against my steel defense, and with each blow I lost hope that he would reconsider this fight.

Finally, my arm began to tire from his constant slashing, so I struck back at him with my shield. Enraged, he doubled his efforts against me. So I smashed him again, and this time followed up with a smashing blow from my mace as well. The fight was on now .. to the death.

We battled for a while longer. He began using magic, and at one point I attempted to shout him down but he had created a magic wall in front of him and it blocked my shout. I was impressed by that, but the moment his wall dissipated I landed a series of critical blows against him and finished him for good. Not since I killed the farmer on his way to join the legion many months ago outside Whiterun have I felt so sick after a fight. Just a half hour previous we had been walking as friends. And now he was dead. I hadn't even gotten the chance to hear him sing.

I took nothing from him, and said a prayer over his body. The Alik'r men had caught up and witnessed the end of the fight, but they said nothing and walked right past me. Either they respected that I hadn't interfered in their business or they were afraid of me. Either way it didn't matter.

In somewhat of a daze I decided to continue on my way with the Alik'r. It wasn't something I spoke to them about. I just walked near them. Perhaps it made them uncomfortable, but I didn't care. If we came across a bear we were all more likely to survive if we fought it together. And just to ensure my unease I heard the muted shriek of a dragon, and spotted it circling a mountain in the distance. They are increasing their presence daily it seems.

We weren't far from Windhelm when the hammer-wielding khajit came running from the cover of some bushes on the side of the road. The Alik'r men separated and fled in different directions. Good to know I would have fought to save them, but the favor would not be returned. I'll be sure to remember that about the Alik'r.

I got my shield up just in time to block the first giant swing of the hammer, but it still nearly knocked me off my feet. Stunned and just a little bit scared, I shouted and sent the cat flying back into the bushes. I pursued, and struck it several times with my mace as it struggled to get up.

The khajit managed to find his feet again, as cats typically do, and we began trading blows. I tried to shout again but found I had no voice, so I resorted to blocking while trying to get my voice back. But the cat's hammer was doing too much damage, despite my valiant blocking. In a moment I realized I was going to die if I didn't do something different right away. So I did the only thing I could think to do. I shouted a different shout ... a shout of fear.

The khajit turned to flee and my mace found his back. The blow was enough to bring him to a knee, and without hesitation I struck him again and ended the fight. After taking the small bag of coins he carried I finished the walk to Windhelm .. and finally .. had a good end to my day. There, in the stall eating hay, was Cloud. I almost didn't believe it at first, but the stablemaster assured me it was her. She had found her way back from the fort all the way to Windhelm. I was truly amazed.

Feeling like a king on his throne I strolled up toward Windhelm's main gate. I was going to treat the entire inn to a round on me for my good fortune tonight. But my day couldn't end so nicely. Oh if only it could have. But that is not Skyrim's way. This land is cold and icy and desolate for a reason. Her heart is uncaring and she excels at doling out misery.

No, I would not be walking through the gate on my own tonight. A Windhelm guard, sword drawn and a bit of fear in his eyes, approached me and notified me that I was under arrest. Those fetcher Alik'r had reported my murder of the bard, even though I never wanted to kill the poor fool in the first place. I've slain dozens and dozens of imperials .. killed dragons .. recovered a dragonstone and received the blessing of the greybeards .. I even helped catch and kill a murderer right here in Windhelm ... but yet they will fine me and take me to jail over a simple misunderstanding between men, and take the word of an Alik'r over that of the dragonborn.

Yes, Skyrim is a miserable bitch, she is.

BIGwooly

- 18th of Sun's Height, 4E 202 -

After meeting with Jarl Ulfric this morning I'm feeling quite conflicted. The jarl praised me highly for my recent efforts, and let me know in no uncertain terms that I was becoming indispensable to the stormcloak cause and to Skyrim's future. He wants me to meet up with Galmar in Hjaalmarch, which is near Ustengrav.

But I'm beginning to feel a pull to return to Delphine in Riverwood. The threat from dragons is increasing on a daily basis, and Skyrim may not be able to survive them any more than the empire. And to complicate matters, when I stopped off in Rorikstead the other day to replenish my supplies a courier delivered a private letter to me. The letter was sealed with a wax stamp, and inside it described a mysterious source of power inside a cave known as Forsaken Cave. The letter was simply sign by .. a friend.

Now I've no idea where this cave is at, but if the power inside is as described it could be an invaluable weapon against the empire .. or the dragons, for that matter. But it's also possible that Galmar needs my help with something right away. We have the empire on it's heels right now and it would be borderline treasonous for me to abandon the cause to seek out some cave. For all I know the letter could have been commissioned by the empire. The whole thing might be a trap.

And then again what good will it be to save Skyrim from the imperials only to hand it over to the dragons? Perhaps I should consult with Delphine to at least see what she has learned recently?

I'm just not really sure where to go at this point this morning. I suppose I will stop by the temple and pray to Talos for direction.

makoman8

Without markers or using the map, how would you ever find Forsaken Cave? For that matter, how do you find anything?!?

bulbaquil

...is not Sjadbek, he just runs him.
Without markers or using the map, how would you ever find Forsaken Cave? For that matter, how do you find anything?!?

He can check the map if he's in an area he already knows, much the same way you would if you for some reason needed to find a place you don't have a quest marker active for. (Example: I recently wanted to go to Bilegulch Mine to mine orichalcum for orcish armor. I had no quest for Bilegulch, so I had to find it manually using out-of-game maps as it wouldn't show up on the in-game one. I did allow myself to use the HUD, though, so I at least had the mine marker icon when I neared it.

---

I'm taking it Hrisskar decided to pay off the bounty, then? (Otherwise it'd be a week later.)

BIGwooly

Excellent point. It is not currently marked on my map (I haven't found it), which means I literally have no idea where it is at. I won't consult outside maps to find it's location, which means I will actually have to search it out. Given that Skyrim is pretty large it's unlikely I would run across it anytime soon, so I would say Hrisskar is much less likely to pursue that at this point in time. Now if he just happens to get lucky and comes across it ... that would be awesome. But it's unlikely. d;-)

Oh, and to answer your second question .. I find things in the game either by coming across them while traveling the land or because someone marks a location for me on my map. Those are the only two ways I ever find anything.

makoman8

Oh, and to answer your second question .. I find things in the game either by coming across them while traveling the land or because someone marks a location for me on my map. Those are the only two ways I ever find anything.

Do you use the map when roaming around to get to new place that someone marked, or do you just check it before you head out and try to aim carefully? For some reason I had it in my head that you didn't use the map...

BIGwooly

Do you use the map when roaming around to get to new place that someone marked, or do you just check it before you head out and try to aim carefully? For some reason I had it in my head that you didn't use the map...

I can only look at the map when I am literally at a known location. So if I'm at Windhelm I can look at the map, or if I'm at Shimmermist Cave I can look at the map, because I've found Shimmermist Cave and know it's location.

If I'm just plain lost on a mountaintop and I'm not at any sort of known location, I can't look at the map. If I'm on a trail and have no clue where I am at, I can't look at the map.

I must be at a specific known location to pull open the map.

When I played Morrowind I only used the physical map that came with the game and it was an awesome experience, but the physical map that comes with Skyrim sucks, lol.

bulbaquil

When I played Morrowind I only used the physical map that came with the game and it was an awesome experience, but the physical map that comes with Skyrim sucks, lol.

I had to correct the physical map of Skyrim that came with the game. It said "Province of Skyrim." I crossed out "Province" and wrote "Kingdom."

BIGwooly

- 18th of Sun's Height, 4E 202 -

Before leaving Windhelm this morning I visited Talos' temple and prayed for guidance. Wouldn't you know it I received it. It was as I finished my prayer that I realized the imperials were against the worship of Talos, not the dragons. As far as I knew the dragons could care less. So the imperials were the direct threat to the god I respect most. That made my decision easy.

I rode to Dawnstar, which for once was a relatively quiet ride. It's late afternoon, and I could probably make the stormcloak camp by sundown with no trouble, but I've decided instead to spend the night and head out in the morning. I'm playing it safe, because the last thing I want is to get lost in the swamps at night.

BIGwooly

- 19th of Sun's Height, 4E 202 -

This morning I found the stormcloak camp without any issues. Galmar and I had a conversation about the war and what was needed next. I got my orders, but I couldn't help but notice his comment about the thalmor being the true enemy of Skyrim. I hadn't really considered that before, but he is right. The empire has banned Talos worship at the behest of the thalmor, not on their own. So I'm feeling conflicted again.

My orders require that I travel back to Rorikstead of all places. I won't write any more than that at the moment as the mission is a sensitive one, and if I were capture this journal could be a liability. I will stop at Whiterun and spend the night, before I finish my journey to the small farming town.

BIGwooly

So I've ridden to Riverwood tonight instead of Whiterun. After passing through Dawnstar and ambushing another imperial patrol, I rode out of the mountains and forest and into the plains that sprawl around Whiterun. I had to detour over the mountains a bit to avoid a dragon that was circling over the road. It seems there are no fewer than three of these evil creatures now terrorizing the land.

I came across a group of four bandits while crossing the hillsides, and they gave chase back to the road. But it was a fateful decision on their part, as several of Whiterun's guards happened to be nearby and ran to assist me.

I dismounted and joined the fight, eager to help my fellow nords bring final justice to these brigands. Arrows and swords cut the air around me, and my mace thundered against armor and bone. Soon enough there was only the leader remaining, and we closed in on her from all sides. She gave her back to me as she confronted a guard with a sword, and it was the last thing she ever did. Bash .. bash .. went my shield against her back .. smash .. smash .. went my mace after it. In a matter of moments she was near death and turned to face me with both hate and fear in her eyes.

What happened next is one of those moments you can only share with certain people, lest you gain a reputation of fluffy storytelling. But I swear by the divines that I spun with my mace at head level and after a full rotation I took this woman's head clean off her shoulders. But that is not the most incredible part. At the same time that this happened something else happened. I will simply sketch it for you to see.

arrowinface.jpg

BIGwooly

So I had just written my previous entry and was going to call it a night. There was a tall redguard in iron armor who decided to block my way to the bar. He insulted me as well. We mixed words and the next thing I knew he was coming at me with an iron sword and a misplaced temper.

I bocked his initial attack, although it did throw me off-balance. He was a strong redguard, even if he was a foolish one. I struck back. Undaunted he came at me again, and again I blocked. Somewhat staggered, I returned the blow as he managed to landed another at the same time. I wasn't pleased with how this was progressing, so I decided to give him a lesson in why he shouldn't have hassled a dragonborn.

My voice threw him into a cupboard as cups and plates and food scattered like a flock of startled birds. It was at this time that the others in the inn had apparently had enough of this brute. Having seen that I was actually in control of the fight, they found the courage to join me and together we taught the foreigner a lesson he wouldn't live to remember.

After the brawl I noticed that even Delphine had come up from her room to join the fight. I had planned on speaking to her in the morning, since it was fairly late already. But she was obviously still awake .. if not more so after a good fight. So we went down to her secret room and had a chat about the thalmor and their embassy and how to get me inside.

It involves a party that is coming up, so the timing is going to be critical. If I delay now, we may never gain access to the embassy and a viable information source may be lost. Still, Galmar's mission for me is time-sensitive as well. I suppose I will try to do both if possible .. Galmar's first ... and then Delphine's.

bulbaquil

And this is why we love Hrisskar.

Sjadbek: "If you get captured by the Imperials - or the Thalmor for that matter - I'll get you out."

Grey Fox

Apparently Cloud had a silver-lining after all. Hrisskar III is really starting to pick up some speed....just like a juggernaut! Praise Talos.