Noob question, help gaining an identity

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Justus

The keeper of the peace
I started this game a few days ago. I am new to all of this so try to cut me some slack. my first attempt I was in Riverwood and got greedy and pickpocketed the store owner for his necklace, he then proceeded to chase me and NEVER DIE. is this the case? or can he be killed? I started a new character b/c i was just starting to get a feel for the game and everytime it autoloaded it was after I stole his necklace.

Second question, If you have a main quest, but choose to do something else will you eventually get a different main quest? sorry if these have been asked before. im new here and to the game.

Forumate

1. Some NPCs can not be killed. The trader in riverwood may be one of them.
2. There are seven different quest lines in skyrim that you can run at any time. The one you start out with is the main quest.

Volsung

Fortune favours the Bold
Some people that can give you quests, usually main quests, won't die until you've done the quests but some still won't, for example- infact, I won't tell you! Might spoil it aha :D. Some characters won't die, yes. People "boost" on them sometimes. Endless leveling.

I'm pretty sure thats not the case. You have a main quest, that is that. Not 100% here, I've heard about people having it changed to your behaviour etc but I've not confirmed this myself.

Hope some of this is helpful!

Justus

The keeper of the peace
but in the menu, it lists one in detail, for example, right now im supposed to go to the Brim Billows(sp) and get the stone for the wizard of Whiterun, i also have a bunch of things in Misc. i kinda want to do one of those things but dont want to lose the ability to do the dragon stone thing. does that make any sense? like i said. im new to all of this... thanks for your help.

Volsung

Fortune favours the Bold
You won't loose the ability to do it. Each quest is seperated and unique. If you want to do another, click on it, click off the one you don't want to do (all this in the menu screen) and it will set you a marker.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
but in the menu, it lists one in detail, for example, right now im supposed to go to the Brim Billows(sp) and get the stone for the wizard of Whiterun, i also have a bunch of things in Misc. i kinda want to do one of those things but dont want to lose the ability to do the dragon stone thing. does that make any sense? like i said. im new to all of this... thanks for your help.

This game is considered "sandbox" so you can participate in the quests you have however you see fit. I find it actually preferable NOT to continue the main quest line and to focus on the quests you pick up in towns and guilds for a while as you work out how you want to play the game. I go back and do one or two portions of the main quest line now and then but most of my time is spent doing all the other things available in Skyrim.