• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

roded88

OK I'm having some trouble with money .... my character is broke lol its like no matter where I go I never seem to pick up enough money to buy things in the shops...is there like a perk I can use to get a better % of money??

tha420Moose

bLaze up. play skYrim
yes speech governs how much money you spend/receive in stores. a good way to make money is to smith/enchant. mine and hunt to get ore and leather make iron daggers and enchant them. after making some money you can just buy the ingots and leather strips.

Lycan

Forest Crawler
Haha enchanting random stuff to sell was an old tactic I used to use in Morrowind. Great advice

1.Find Item
2.Enchant
3.???
4.Profit

Drem

i just loot everything that weighs under 10 that's worth 100 or more and i seem to have plenty of money

Tusck

No offense but I really don't know how people are broke in this game. Mining, lumberjacking, crime, adventuring, questing... the money is there to be had. Unless you are wasting money on unnecessary items, throwing coin away by giving it to beggers or worse yet, wandering around enjoying the trees... you should have more money than you know what to do with.

Onyx

I have found that money is easier to get than in previous games, especially early on.

Some suggestions that I have found useful

1.) Raid Dungeons. Not only can you sell loot (I find light hide and leather armors give a good weight/profit ratio) but also there is usually a couple of hundred gold in coins lying around the lower level dungeons (in money bags, chests, corpses or loosly on tables).

2.) Sell potions. Lots of money in potins, I usually keep the health/stamina/magika ones but sell everything else (incl. increase health for 60 sec or restore x health over 300 sec etc). If you dabble in alchemy you can make potions and sell them for good money. Ingredients are easy to get in the wilderness (plants, butterflies, mushrooms etc).

3.) Farms - many farms will guy mundane vegitables (not ingreediants, these count as food) for more than shops. For example outside whiterun there is a farm that will buy potatoes for 1g a piece and cabbage for 2g a piece. Not a lot individually but considering there is loads of these not only in farms (that respawn) but also in guilds, dungeons, houses etc

4.) Chop wood - might not be the most excisting but some decent money to be made. For each session you can earn 30g I think (get 6 pieces of wood at 5g a piece). Takes about 45 sec or so to complete each session? If you have the patience easy to make some money, especially in the beginning. Tip: Chop wood my a lumbermill such as Riverwood and sell to the lumberjack.

5.) Sell jewelry -> lots of rings, gems and necklaces around that are worth a fair bit of gold. IF you are not big into enchanting jewlrey this can be a good source of gold

Hope this helps somewhat

Zedsded

true, i think the most obvious though is as mentioned. grab all loot, and if you can enchant it and improve it on a workbench/wet stone and flog it off.
As regards expenses though, i assuming you must be buying a lot of spells or using a lot of skill traders? i can't think that i spend much on anything but spells and houses tbh

Onyx

Aye my main expenses are
Skill Training
House(s)
New Spells.

I do not buy gear at all, I just use what I find/loot or get as a reward. Been collecting Ebon and Orchinium Ore so just need to lvl my BS so I can make my own armor. Focused on combat talents to start but going to lvl from 18 - 23 or so now on BSing and use all the ore I have horded :)

Zedsded

One fun way to make money is to pick a fancy house in a city and litterally empty it out....everything you can move, steal it.

thats pretty much exactly where i am as well. lvl 23 and barely touched main quest line and have just branched off into guild quests. Going to finish up with thieves line then take a breather to make up a better BS skill and start making some more higher end stuff. then i want to look into getting the manor in solitude. then off to assains i expect. i may go see though greybeards on their mountain one day...

Nightmare Shadow

Master of Shadow
If you are really having trouble with money in the game, then join the thieves guild. You get a set of armor including a hood that has an 10% effect on prices (10% cheaper for you to buy, 10% is given when you sell. Or, if you don't wanna go that route, then just keep going into random dungeons and bandit camps and kill everything that moves then loot the bodies.

Onyx

One fun way to make money is to pick a fancy house in a city and litterally empty it out....everything you can move, steal it.

thats pretty much exactly where i am as well. lvl 23 and barely touched main quest line and have just branched off into guild quests. Going to finish up with thieves line then take a breather to make up a better BS skill and start making some more higher end stuff. then i want to look into getting the manor in solitude. then off to assains i expect. i may go see though greybeards on their mountain one day...
How do you enter the houses? Is it through the doors or can you climb in windows etc? Just thought I heard Windows somewhere.

My current char sux at sneaking (being in Heavy Armor and all) but next char is a thief/assassin so will do a public service and relieve ppl of their mortal possessions that prevent them from experience spiritual enlightenment :p

roded88

I don't buy anything... I mainly sell whatever I can pick up.. realized that the dragon bones an scales take up a lot of your weight capacity got rid of those stored it in my house hopefully itle still be there lol but now I've got way more room for loot :)

Auxilium

In my opinion..
Even though I'm broke atm due to buying Iron Ingots and so on for smithing, I usually steal everything and pickpocket people.

The last thing I did last night before bed was join the Thieves Guild and get the armor, so tonight I should be making a little more money.

brandon

theres a skeleton up north above a cave he has a book worth 50 gold that always respawns just keep looting as much as you need when i go home ill find the exact location i found it on google

Even though I'm broke atm due to buying Iron Ingots and so on for smithing, I usually steal everything and pickpocket people.

Do you get caught frequently when you pick pockets? I've steered clear of it because I don't want to get caught and go through the hassle of having to pay my bounty off.

Auxilium

In my opinion..
Do you get caught frequently when you pick pockets? I've steered clear of it because I don't want to get caught and go through the hassle of having to pay my bounty off.

Well I make sure I'm "Hidden" before I even initiate the checking of their inventory, usually if the pickpocketing % is above 50 I'll give it a shot. I haven't tried it with my Thief Armor and Amulet yet, which both give me a bonus of 10-15% each to pickpocketing as I just got them last night.