• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Thedane

Hey all.

I am new to skyrim and I have decided to try out the sneak/archer build, but when I search for a good build for this class I get alot of different answers, so I just want to now if anyone could be so kind to help me out with a strong sneak/archer build, I am lvl 8 atm.
I know that this question have been asked alot so sorry for making another post on the subject, but just havent found a good asnwer yet.

thanks.

-Thedane

JClarke1953

My char is a Mage, so I worked her Archery up using Bound Bow.

I went to Google and typed in; what is a good Archery/Sneak build, Skyrim and many, many hits came up for that.

Gigapact

Lollygagging Milk Drinker (according to guards)
Hmmmm

Well, what I did when doing sneak/archer build:

Armor: Typically, you will want to do light armor so you can move around easily and make less noise when sneaking. The heavy armor makes more noise, allowing enemies to detect you faster. So when you find armor and stuff, it will say either heavy armor or light armor in the top corner in small letters. Try not to mix and match armor though, this way your light armor will increase faster, so try to wear full set of light armor. The light armor skill increases in relation to the amount of damage you take as well.

Archery: The nice thing about archery is that you don't have to kill just enemies to level this up. You can go around all day hunting deer and rabbits and it will help your skill. I would definitely get the zoom in and slow time perk as soon as you can, as this will help you aim efficiently. I believe the zoom in perk is available at skill level 30 and zoom in at 40 (I think). Always make sure you have enough arrows with you, and I like to carry around a dagger or sword just in case you need it for anything (if you run out of arrows, have to break through spider webs, etc.)

Sneak: In the beginning, move very slowly when you can see an enemy. Your sneak is low, so it will be very easy for them to detect you early on. Wearing light armor will help you. Stick to the shadows (if you can) and try to go at them from behind. All of this does actually matter. Once you get a high sneak level, you can get the perk where walking and running does not effect detection, but by this point your sneak is pretty damn good anyways. Also, since you're doing archery it will be much easier considering you can attack from far away.

Smithing: Smithing at forges (there are two in Whiterun) will allow you to raise this skill. The higher the skill, the more types of armor and weapons you can make. If you go the light armor route, make sure to pick the perks from the light armor side (elven, glass, etc). You can also improve your armor and weapons at benches and grind stones (all located at the forge you see when you immediately enter Whiterun). Be careful though, because you get make your stuff very powerful and the game will become much less challenging, especially early on. Also, keep in mind that the armor cap is 567 I believe, so if you can manage to get your armor pass that (through perks or smithing) it will not matter, so you can stop at 567 and be fine. At that point, you will be resisting 80 percent damage.

Enchanting: This you can do at an enchanting table (there is one in Whiterun, inside Dragonsreach by the Court Wizard) through using filled soul gems and unechanted items. You can use fortify sneak, archery, etc. to enhance your abilities even more. But, again, keep in mind about over powering yourself.

Are you also doing a thief and assassin in there? That is a popular combo to combine with these. If so, I would advise you NOT to waste perks in Lockpicking. Also be careful with speech.

Some factions you might look into: The Dark Brotherhood (assassin related) that can be started in Windhelm through the Arentino quest. Find the little boy's house and break in and speak to him. After you complete his quest, run around any town until a man delivers a letter to you with a black hand print on it. Then, rent a room and sleep for like 9 hours, then it will begin. You can also check out the Thieves Guild, located in Riften. Just run into the little area in the center where people are selling things during the day and run into a man that will start talking to you about how you got your money.

I could go on and on about all of this and how to do it, but this is your first play through. Just get a feel for it. In my first game ever, I made so many mistakes and did things ass backwards because I had no clue. But I was having fun. Then, on my second character, I began discovering new things and getting the hang of it. Now, after a million games, you start getting the hang of it and pretty much know how to do things effectively (although I'm still learning new things even now). So don't get overwhelmed over all this, have fun and play and learn through experience. I just provided you with some info to begin. HAVE FUN!!!

Joker

Cook, Wine Taster, Scotch Taster, Adventure Seeker
Hey all.

I am new to skyrim and I have decided to try out the sneak/archer build, but when I search for a good build for this class I get alot of different answers, so I just want to now if anyone could be so kind to help me out with a strong sneak/archer build, I am lvl 8 atm.
I know that this question have been asked alot so sorry for making another post on the subject, but just havent found a good asnwer yet.

thanks.

-Thedane

Welcome to the forums! I hope you have fun, ask questions, and never feel silly for asking the question. Many of us on here started learning about Skyrim from asking questions. There are quite a few on here that helped me understand this game, and learn to play different styles.

Again, welcome to the board :beermug:

To answer your question, here are my suggestions:

I would make sure you have 1-Handed(1H), or 2-Handed as a back up when they come charging at you. While I am not the expert here, by any means, I usually follow a simple guide. I try not to perk too many skills during my play. I have played using only 3 skills, and as many as 6, but 5 usually is where I am comfortable. 6 or more seems like you are spread too thin, to me, and 3 is handicapping yourself, again in my opinion.

Here are the skills I suggest:

Archery - This will climb as you shoot enemies and hunt, with all the open spaces, all you need is arrows.
Light Armor - This will keep you safe, and when you get the stamina regeneration, :D
1H or 2H - This depends on your preference, and if you want a shield or to block with the 2H weapon.
Sneak - Silent & deadly, hard to find, and the bonuses for a kill or hit without being detected are always a good thing.
Smithing - Make and upgrade your gear.

On this web site, there is a thread started by Psiberzerker, that could answer many of your questions. There are also other web sites that can also guide you. Google "Skyrim Blog Ning", there are many builds there that might inspire you as well. But, be warned, some of those are master level builds, and there are some that use information that you might not know, or need the DLCs to finish.

Regardless of where you find a build that inspires you I recommend the following:

1. Read the build, determine why those skills were chosen by the author, and ponder if that build will fit your desired play style.

2. If the skill set is not quite what you are looking for, but some of the build intrigues you, modify the build to your preferences. Maybe you don't do enchanting, but will smith to improve things......your game, your choice.

3. Most importantly, play the way you want to play. This is your game, your console or PC, so play how you want to play. When you have played for a while, then go try someone else's build.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts