New Skyrimmer Questions (Wood Elf)

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Selah

Hey guys ill just give you a little background on my RPG experience. Well I have no RPG experience lol. This is my first Elder Scrolls game and first RPG all together.
I was looking for a new game and I wanted one that could keep me entertained for hours on end. I had heard amazing things about this game so I decided to pick it up but I was a little nervous about picking it up since it was my first RPG and i wasn't sure if I'd like it alot...
Well let's just say I'm glad I picked it up lol i can see how this would be an addicting ass game. So far so good. Only thing for me is its a little overwhelming all the stuff you can do. So I was going to ask for some help from you guys:

So I decided to be a Wood Elf one of my friends I was in a party with told me that they were pretty good so I just went with him. So from what I understand is that their the sneaky assassin type and i should base my perks and stuff off of this correct?
The amount of different perks and different things that you acquire from them is just kind of confusing to me as far as what path I should go down.

So can I get any help from any Wood Elfs around here on some starting tips? Perks, weapons, what I should focus on just to get me started out?

Thanks

theminstrels

Overseer of the chupacabra tea party
Actually the wood elf is better as a ranger type character. You will want to focus on your archery, sneak, one handed, and alchemy. The rest of what you decide to do is up to you. The better one for the sneaky, assassin type would be the dark elf.

Panthera

Don Gato
You have 3 races which are good assassins Khajiit, Wood elf and argonian.

If you want to be assassin you should invest in sneak, one hand, marksman and light armor. When you lvl up you should invest in stamina and health. You can save before lvl up and see what some available perks can do. :)

Panthera

Don Gato
Actually the wood elf is better as a ranger type character. You will want to focus on your archery, sneak, one handed, and alchemy. The rest of what you decide to do is up to you. The better one for the sneaky, assassin type would be the dark elf.
I agree about wood elf but I disagree about dark elf, Khajiit is natural assassin by all means. And Argonian is more for thief.

M'aiqaelF

Male, 32 years old, Denver area, CO
use a bow and light armor, by using equipment/spells/weapons you build experience in that skill and are then able to unlock better perks.

Selah

Okay so I should focus on archery? For me its kind of hard right now because the bow barely does damage should I just stick with it? And one handed right?

M'aiqaelF

Yes, b/c the first perk you can get in archery is to increase the damage of your bow, the more you use the bow the faster you gain skill points. There are also people who can train you in archery which gives you 1 skill point per training. Aela the Huntress in the Companions Lodge Jorovskyr is one of them.

as a new player I'd recommend going for the "tank" type character, heavy armor, 1H, block, and either restoration to heal or alchemy for potions....you can take a lot of damage and dish it out too.

The woodelf are good for "ranger" type builds but you don't necessarily have to do that.

Selah

Okay would you recommend the Wood Elf or should I maybe just start over and pick someone new? I'm still at the very beginning so I'm not very far so starting over could be an option but im not sure if I want to...

theminstrels

My suggestion is continue playing you will figure out what character fits you the best as you play. Everyone can suggest whatever they want but, with the new leveling system there are really no limitations on character types or classes. I have a lvl 70 nord that all I have to do is change some equipment and I am whatever I feel like being for a couple of hours.

M'aiqaelF

I'd recommend starting over as an orc and going the "tank" route. That's the best way for a beginner to play IMO.

theminstrels

You will probably make several different characters anyways, the most important thing for you right now is play time experiece so the choice is really yours.

Rotceh

Just to clear some things up. Skyrim does not have a class system. Though you will see a lot of people say they are a Warrior/Mage/Assassin/Hunter whatever... What they mean is the style of play they use for that character. You have the option to select a race, which are Wood Elf, Breton, Redguard and so on. Race and Class are two different things. Any race can play in any style or class and be effective. For your first rpg, I would recommend you pick a race that you will enjoy playing, read the discriptions of each race, then maybe dig a little more on the internet about that race. Know that no matter what race you pick you can become anything. Use a one handed sword and you will become master swordsman, cast magic sparks from your hand to become a wizard, open a few locked chests and pickpokect a merchant to become a thief.

You are what you play... Have fun!

Panthera

Don Gato
I agree with Rotceh. I have another character, also Khajiit and I play with it as a mage (Khajiits are natural assassins by their starting skill stats). Only in beginning it's a bit tougher to play but later in few levels wont even matter.

Jaeger

I would add Light armor and Block to that list for wood elves ranger. You can block with the bow that will stagger your opponent enough to put another arrow in them. But it should be your third tier choice because it wont happen often. But you do want light armor up to the stamina regen perk. You want stamina and stamina regen to stay in slo-mo as long as possible with the archery perk that slows time. One health pick to 3 stamina picks until you're happy with your stamina slo-mo time.

There's a glitch with trainer/followers. Side with Faendal in Riverwood over the love triangle. Make him your follower. Ask to train until you run out of money. Trade with him and get your money back. He's going to get you up to 50 over time since you can only train 5 times per level. After you get it to 50 go to Angi's Camp in Falkreath Hold. There's a archery book on the end table. Train with Angi, she'll get you up another 6 points if you can shoot the targets. It's best to have the eagle-eye and slo-mo perks. When you do the companion quest and finish them, you can make Aola your follower. Train with her. Take money back. Also, you might want to train with another female there to get your block up (or get a temporary shield and find a mud crab and power level your block). Only take the right hand side and the middle one of Block for perks.

Oh, sneak everywhere. Remember your befriend animal power if you come across a cave bear or saber tooth in the early levels. Also, if you want to immerse in wood elf lore, there are certain shouts that you want - two animal controlling shouts.

Go see Froki at Froki's shack to get that animal perk.

Lore-wise, wood elves are cannibals. So you might want the Ring of Namira for your cannibalism to actually benefit you.

Get the Bow of the Hunt. Guarded by a measly troll.

Put any of those words into the search bar at the uesp (google it) to know where they are at.

If you're female, all of the forsworn armor looks cool. The male helm looks...deer viginalish, I wasn't feeling it. There's also a super-charged one called the armor of the old gods. Get in markarth by helping the Forsworn.

Necromis

As has been said you could take that wood elf and be usnig a two handed sword and playing a fighting beserker type character, the race only matters for the first few levels and after that is nothing more than asthetics. I personally have a kitty dual wielding warrior, and a breton mystic archer assassin. Way different styles for those races than the norm. LOL

I would say play with this character for a bit and get comfortable and see how you personally like to play your character, if you like to shoot with a bow from a distance, then I do recommend sneak and light armour. If you like to charge right in then I would recomend 1hand and heavy armour, either dual wield or sword and board. It is all up to what you find is fun, think of what skills you need for that type of play and put points into them. Warrior types should do high health to stamina at first in your ratio, then level off and get higher stamina at higher levels. Sneaks should probably have higher stamina at first to be able to run away and reverse that later to balance health out.

Jaeger

Oh, if you get the diadem of the savant at froki's shack on the wood chopping block it's also counted as light armor, so you can wear that for your head armor for the light armor perks.

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
Great tips by everyone, one thing I would add is, when you're out on the main Skyrim map, as brutal as it sounds, kill all the animals (that aren't in a town/inn/mill etc). Practice your archery under non-hostile conditions, you'll gain exp points in your Archery tree along with picking up some pelts (leather) to do some crafting/moneymaking with later.

Snow foxes, rabbits, elk, goats... whatever's around. I would avoid the mammoths though unless you want to add "Space Program" to your list of accomplishments.

Quanah

Bosmer Shadowscale
Doesn't really matter what race you choose in the beginning, but the Wood Elf is the best of the elves in the art of stealth in the beginning stages. Still doesn't even matter, it's how u want to play.

I chose the Bosmer because I've researched it's history and lore, found them to be the most interesting by far. Also at the early stages when you see a bear you don't have to run away from it, just use the command animal trait. Even works for mammoths, not sure about Dragons though.