• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

jesus_hairdo

Ok,
So ive put 30+hrs into Skyrim, being a total novice. Its time to start again now I know a little, very little about the game.
What I do know is that I dont do so well as a Wood Elf, so stelthy, thief type play is out. Im finding that im dying most of the time when in CQC. Iv concentrated on levelling up one hand but, I have to face the fact that im crap :)
Any suggestions from the community is gonna be very appreciated

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Moved to General Discussion.

You can also turn down the combat difficulty at any time to make it a bit easier. The race of the character really doesn't matter in the end so you shouldn't discount any race due to a lack of combat elegance. You should tell us what you'd like to actually play and we can suggest the best way to go about doing it. Do you understand the perk system?

Welcome to the forums.

if you're still eager on stealth play you might want to try a sneak ARCHER, avoiding CQC completely,

or if you want to try a DPS machine go duel wield ORC, that always goes down well.

Necromis

Also if you are a sneak you want to avoid CQC. Your objective is one enemy at a time from behind/distance depending on weapon. Runnin away at low levels with a sneak is not cowardice it is survival and tactical. So some times you might want to arrow one enemy and then lead him away to kill him. Or if you don't mind a little magic with your stealth cast some fury illusion spells to have your enemy kill themselves for you. That is something I am planning on for my next play through.

tvJefe

CQC can work with sneak, but can be really difficult against multiple targets. It's generally recommended that you lure one away at a time to take care of them. You can shoot an arrow against a wall and they will walk over, look at it, then start to walk away. When their back is turned, take em out.

Seph has a great YouTube channel for learning the ways of a sneak/assassin.
http://www.youtube.com/user/SEPHxxFORxxLIFE

jesus_hairdo

Thank you everyone 4 all ur help with my dilemma.
Iv gone and bought myself the strategy guide, hee hee. I know that there will be nothing in there that I wont find out here. Im old u see and like sumthin 2 thumb thru @ 3am!!!
So far Iv stuck wiv my Wood Elf "Figginor", my daughter named him, we will prevail
Back soon im sure

Evina

Just avoid sabrecats. They like to chew on wood elf meat.

Epsilon

Shaun
What i did was play loosely with each basic type of class (mage, fighter, rogue) just to get a feel for the way the game works and what i would be better off with. Mages were always my best class in other RPG's, and MMO's but in skyrim i died alot as a mage. Granted i will probably make another mage after my paladin and just go a different direction next time. I tried a rogue CQC class myself like you are trying and while the DW was fun i was horrible. So not knowing if i just plain sucked or what i went with a fighter type class. Not wanting to just plain hack and slash i made a paladin build with 1h, shield, heavy armor and perks in Restoration and Alteration for healing and buffs and so far its worked out great for me and has giving me a good feel for the game and im figuring out the combat in the game a lot better. Now i will be better off when i do finish up with this guy and make a another class i will fair much better. So basically just make whatever is fun for you and fits your stlye :)

If only i could keep my horse alive for more than a day now i will be happy, i know im not the only one but damn i have bad luck with horses. Almost like real life when i buy a car...

Magic is only ridiculously effective if you are a true Master at it, with all the perks accepted, spells learned, and level 100 :\ But, if you achieve this, you will wield the strongest fighting style in the game!

Melee strategies are a good go, but when you are against archers or mages, they can whip you from afar. So if you plan on using melee, make sure that you take more than enough healing potions and food with you at all times! Thus that being said, I'd also recommend becoming an alchemist if you plan to be a melee user as well.

Now to range. I am a very fond fan of killing them far away. As they said in COD: WOW "Snipers may wear diapers, but they sure do get all the ladies!". That is because we are the only ones still alive at the end of the battle ;) We can take people out in a couple hits and never take damage from a melee user, and if you're good enough shot you can kill a mage without getting hurt. So, I'd recommend range as you can use tons of perks, weapons, upgrades, enchantments, and jewelry/armor bonuses to increase your range throughout the entire time you are playing. Me, my bow does 300 points of damage (301 to be exact) and I have Daedric arrows that cause a little over 30 damage I think. So, I can kill any dragon on Adept in 2 hits, on Master I can kill them in no more than 7 hits.

Just go for Archery ;)

Best of luck! Stay safe, and have fun!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts