• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Neveraine

BRINGER OF DEATH
For me I've never liked d.i.d just because what happens if you end up finding a giant that one shots you, so that you now have to start all over just because of a stupid fluke.

Tosh Raka

Tiger Dragon of Ka'Po'Tun
Something I'm dabbling in, that's lore friendly is an Imperial battlemage centered on Heavy Armor, Restoration, One Hand and Destruction... Swapping out your magic hand for healing and destruction for long range and one handed/wards for close. Also healing your follower is useful. Imperial battlemages were among the most feared in the empire...

Akim

Did OP even say he was doing DiD?

Personally, I've never been one for "builds" or min/maxing and exploiting every perk and level gain to be the best yadda yadda. AKA powergaming. I'll go into a new character with a basic idea. Maybe do a bit of research to make sure I'm not absolutely crippling myself, and then go at it, and stay a bit fluid with skill leveling and perks.

My main Skyrim character is similar to my Main Morrowind character, and my only Oblivion character. A Bosmer specializing in archery and stealth above all, and pretty good with smaller blades and light armor. Support skill being lockpicking of course (and acrobatics in Morrowind, but who didn't do that?) I have never changed the difficulty, so it's on whatever it's normally on, and I've found I get through most bad guys pretty easily, and I dumped quite a few perks on stupid stuff early on, and have more than my fair share of leveled up skills that don't help my case against levelled bad guys... I rarely sip potions or use spells in combat. I don't use spells to buff armor or weapons, and only recently started dual wielding... So, sometimes it's best not to take everything the "pros" have to say on the subject of good characters, or weak ones, as mine would probably be classified as weak in a battle, even though I do very well.

There's only been one spot in the game that I've had repeatedly hard time beating. Doing the quest for Azura's star I think, when you go to the dream world with all the Draemora... I was just flat out getting demolished every time.

So, I dunno, go look up a min/max build if that interests you. Or create a basic play style that seems pretty fun to you and just go with it? I just started my first EVER magic user in an Elder Scrolls game, mostly so I could see the Imperial side of that story line, but also just to play around with magic and stuff, he's going to follow more of the dark path with necromancy sprinkled in. Not sure exactly how I am going to level him, but I'm looking forward to it. Kinda want to do an unarmed Orc build, too... I just keep going back to my Bosmer Assassin, though...

Did OP even say he was doing DiD?

Personally, I've never been one for "builds" or min/maxing and exploiting every perk and level gain to be the best yadda yadda. AKA powergaming. I'll go into a new character with a basic idea. Maybe do a bit of research to make sure I'm not absolutely crippling myself, and then go at it, and stay a bit fluid with skill leveling and perks.

My main Skyrim character is similar to my Main Morrowind character, and my only Oblivion character. A Bosmer specializing in archery and stealth above all, and pretty good with smaller blades and light armor. Support skill being lockpicking of course (and acrobatics in Morrowind, but who didn't do that?) I have never changed the difficulty, so it's on whatever it's normally on, and I've found I get through most bad guys pretty easily, and I dumped quite a few perks on stupid stuff early on, and have more than my fair share of leveled up skills that don't help my case against levelled bad guys... I rarely sip potions or use spells in combat. I don't use spells to buff armor or weapons, and only recently started dual wielding... So, sometimes it's best not to take everything the "pros" have to say on the subject of good characters, or weak ones, as mine would probably be classified as weak in a battle, even though I do very well.

There's only been one spot in the game that I've had repeatedly hard time beating. Doing the quest for Azura's star I think, when you go to the dream world with all the Draemora... I was just flat out getting demolished every time.

So, I dunno, go look up a min/max build if that interests you. Or create a basic play style that seems pretty fun to you and just go with it? I just started my first EVER magic user in an Elder Scrolls game, mostly so I could see the Imperial side of that story line, but also just to play around with magic and stuff, he's going to follow more of the dark path with necromancy sprinkled in. Not sure exactly how I am going to level him, but I'm looking forward to it. Kinda want to do an unarmed Orc build, too... I just keep going back to my Bosmer Assassin, though...
Actually, it looks Like I was the first to mention DiD, and it took a life of it's own. Sorry.

You know? The funny thing is I don't play minmaxed OP characters either. I like builds, I'm good at them, and while I post my favorite underpowered role playing cherry tapper characters, nobody ever seems to ever want to talk about them. I know the Game Mechanics, especially the skills, and leveling system extremely well, though. So, people want to talk about min/maxed worldbeaters, I'll talk about that. If anyone ever wants to talk about actually playing the game for fun (Gasp!) I'm down for that too.

The character I keep going back to is a two-handed unarmored Assassin. About as underpowered as I could make, originally as a joke character. Quite honestly, min-maxed characters are boring. Talking about them, though, turns out to be fascinating.

Jaeger

I'm playing a Trickster now.

Character Build: The Trickster - The Skyrim Blog

Liberal use of the Wabbajack. Illusion and stealth heavy. I've haven't put any perks into one-handed yet because with a dagger, 40% of crap is still crap. Calm a single target, then backstab 'em (do get the Assassin Blade perk). Rage/Frenzy groups. Or Fear groups then Calm/backstab single ones. Walking around in mourner's clothes and hat (doo-rag) until I can get the jester clothes by killing Cicero or joining the AG for the one lying around in there (it's not as good as Cicero though but 2 Jesters might be cool).

It's fun and I haven't done the pickpocket or illusion tree yet except for the silent casting for my arcane archer and there I just spammed Muffle until I had silent casting.

I'm in Solitude now, posh citizens with expensive gems (levels pickpocket like crazy) and to get the Wabbajack. Off to Riften next to join the Thieves guild and to sell all this stolen jewelry.

J

Jeremius

i have recently wanted to try a HARPER AGENT-like build, but do not know where to start, in terms of perks and items.

Overall, i'd say pick a theme for your character and build your character around that theme.

Akim

The character I keep going back to is a two-handed unarmored Assassin. About as underpowered as I could make, originally as a joke character. Quite honestly, min-maxed characters are boring. Talking about them, though, turns out to be fascinating.

I can't disagree with that. I spent countless hours reading about the best ways to level skills and stay low level for Oblivion. And what skills and perks to do here in Skyrim. Then I make the character, and after five minutes of standing in fire and healing myself I say forget this and go play the game. Different strokes. I mean, I obviously do some things to hone other skills. I wanted to get 100 Archery, so I used absolutely nothing but archery from about 90-100. First skill I ever maxed out, followed by Sneak. And NO, I did not sneak into corners and leave it there, it's all legit sneaking... I sneak everywhere. Once I maxed Archery I used nothing but 1h for quite awhile... Then realized I prefer stealth sniping and never maxed it out, though I still 1 hit kill guys with daggers for 30x damage when I have the chance. Just took down an Elder Dragon with a single dagger, no spells, two dragon shouts (rend, and MFD) and one health potion...

Tosh Raka

Then realized I prefer stealth sniping and never maxed it out, though I still 1 hit kill guys with daggers for 30x damage when I have the chance. Just took down an Elder Dragon with a single dagger, no spells, two dragon shouts (rend, and MFD) and one health potion...
That's the key. Play your way, challenge urself and love ur character! (hippy talk haha)
Assassin characters can be a lot of fun with sneaking. People sometimes forget tho that level grinding enchanting/alchemy/smithing does raise the level of enemies too making it hard... So play your way!!

but I have to admit a character I was really having fun with until save game corrupted was a shieldmage specializing in destruction (fire cloak/fire rune) blocking with shield, and conjuration (flame atronach). Just absorb dam, let them try to get close and burn them up!

Tosh Raka

I'm playing a Trickster now.

Character Build: The Trickster - The Skyrim Blog

Liberal use of the Wabbajack. Illusion and stealth heavy. I've haven't put any perks into one-handed yet because with a dagger, 40% of crap is still crap. Calm a single target, then backstab 'em (do get the Assassin Blade perk). Rage/Frenzy groups. Or Fear groups then Calm/backstab single ones. Walking around in mourner's clothes and hat (doo-rag) until I can get the jester clothes by killing Cicero or joining the AG for the one lying around in there (it's not as good as Cicero though but 2 Jesters might be cool).

It's fun and I haven't done the pickpocket or illusion tree yet except for the silent casting for my arcane archer and there I just spammed Muffle until I had silent casting.

I'm in Solitude now, posh citizens with expensive gems (levels pickpocket like crazy) and to get the Wabbajack. Off to Riften next to join the Thieves guild and to sell all this stolen jewelry.

Really interesting set up, wabbajack use is a good twist on stealth. Illusion is great for any assassin. U should enchant some ragged clothes so u can be the hobo thief assassin among jarls and thanes... ;)

Yeah, Bash&Burn shieldmage is a lot of fun, and yet never a no-brainer build. If you like to think through every fight, that's a great character to force you to. Wall spells are where it's at at higher levels, though, and extremely Magicka efficient, because they Burn (Freeze/shock) for 20 seconds.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts