New character build, need opinions

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Mewness

Trans-Neptunian Object
I think that while it looks fine at level 81, during actual play the skills will be too thinly spread. On the other hand, being a sneaky archer is so effective that it probably doesn't matter what else you do =)

berzum

Why is the alto wine always gone?
seeing how there is no level cap, i feel the comment about "I think that while it looks fine at level 81, during actual play the skills will be too thinly spread." is a pointless comment...build looks decent

Adam Warlock

I like the battle strategy and use it often.
Some access to invisibility is extremely useful.
With no Alchemy and only 50 in Illusion , your potions will be limited and the expert spell unavailable.
So either the Shadow Stone or the Shadowcloak of Nocturnal might be considered.

Mewness

Trans-Neptunian Object
If you think it's pointless to say a build is too thinly spread, you may as well say that because there's no level cap, you can assume your character has all the perks in the game. Characters don't spring from Zeus's head fully formed at level 81. You have to level the character, and I think that a character that concentrates on that many skills from day 1 is going to be a bit thinly spread. I can't tell from looking at a level 81 build what the character is going to learn early and what late, or whether he or she will learn everything all at once. I generally find that I get the best results if I aim for a build to be "complete" at around level 50. Now, my opinion may be dead wrong, but it certainly isn't pointless.

Asiaxfani

I'll have to side with Mewness here; while I do like the basic setting, I'd too recommend focusing on a few skill less than what is shown in the link. But of course if you like the challenge and have no problem with this build being somewhat demanding to level, then by all means, go for it. I don't know how much you've played Skyrim before, but in my opinion playing a stealthy archer is one of the funniest ways to play this game.

Also, a very warm welcome to the forums, itamag :) I hope you'll like it here!

itamag

Thank you all! I'm having a hard time deciding between one handed and archery. I've already started playing, and invested a perk or two into one handed. Sneaking up to someone and slitting his throat is so powerful, and in my opinion more interesting than plain combat. Also, at lower levels sneak doesn't work very well, especially on more than one person - so it has happened more than once that I got into a fight, so one handed was way more useful than archery. On the other hand, I think having to aim the bow to fight is much more challenging than plain bashing someone with your daggers, and archery allows for more range. What would you choose? And if I stop investing in one, what should I use the extra perks for?

Nighthiker77

I would start with archery and work in 1h after you get quick draw and ranger.

My first several perks would be 1/5 sneak, novice illusion to silent casting, novice conjuration and mystic binding.

I wouldn't put more than 1 in the base sneak 1/5, drop steady hand, drop all speech, drop the second critical perk in archery, and personally I would drop the thrall perks and master conjuration(the expert spells are the best) but if you want dead thralls, you might want all of them.

And definitely add hunter's discipline and ranger. With quick draw, ranger, and unhindered, you will almost never be forced into melee, especially with bullseye or an occasional paralysis poison.

Push to get bound bow and silent casting as quick as possible.

Mewness

Trans-Neptunian Object
I agree with Nighthiker77's advice--I would add that I think it's much easier in general to use archery at the beginning than it is to use one-handed. You don't have to be anywhere near as good at Sneak in order to shoot people.

Other things you could change:

You won't need Agile Defender 5 + Dragon Smithing. You'll reach the armor cap before you have all that. You might want Arcane Smithing--some of the unique items in the game are rather nice and improvable by smithing. Of course, the better you are at avoiding melee, the less important Smithing and armor perks are overall.

Bullseye is ... really weird. What it does is fire an invisible paralysis effect at the target at the same time as you fire your arrow. The paralysis goes in a straight line, unlike your arrow, and it can actually hit the target and knock it flat on the ground before your arrow arrives, causing the arrow to miss. This is funny, but annoying =)

Asiaxfani

Haha, I did not know that about the Bullseye perk :D That would explain why I sometimes have seemed to hit the opponent with something even though my arrow has clearly missed by a mile... LOL. Funny game.

I'd personally just stick with archery, but that's your choice. I agree with Nighthiker77 and Mewness; if you want to use both Archery and 1H, level archery first. I'd invest in Sneak as well.

BTW, what race are you playing as, itamag? :)

I've never really cared for any other school of magic than Destruction in Skyrim. So I'd drop most of the magic perks as well, but that's really just my personal prefrence, and maybe not the smartest one at that. Just out of curiosity, though: when you use a bound bow, do you need to have real arrows equipped or does the spell come with bound arrows of some sort?

DEADxOFxKNIGHT

Sewing-Life Alchemist
While this is a great build and it being what most of my characters end up like, no offense but this is'nt a new concept it's basically a witchhunter

itamag

Not offended :D . I'm a Kajiit. Thank for all the responses! But I have two more questions: If I drop some of light armor and smithing and one handed, I'll have a bunch of available perk points. What should I use them for? Also, how should I be perk-wise and health/stamina/magicka at say levels 10, 20, 25, 30 etc. ?

DEADxOFxKNIGHT

Sewing-Life Alchemist
i wouldn't get rid of any that you had put into one handed cuz dual wielded sneak powere attacks are crazy OP
as for light armor i would get rid of unhindered windwalker and deft movement i would take those three points and get up to expert illusion for invisibility and such , but thats just my opinion...

Mewness

Trans-Neptunian Object
I've never really cared for any other school of magic than Destruction in Skyrim. So I'd drop most of the magic perks as well, but that's really just my personal prefrence, and maybe not the smartest one at that. Just out of curiosity, though: when you use a bound bow, do you need to have real arrows equipped or does the spell come with bound arrows of some sort?
The spell supplies bound arrows (100 each time you cast). That's part of the appeal--with Mystic Binding the arrows are daedric equivalent, I think, so the bound bow ends up being very effective.

Asiaxfani

Oh, I see. That does seem pretty cool. Maybe I'll give Conjuration another go when I re-make my mage character.

DEADxOFxKNIGHT

Sewing-Life Alchemist
the bound bow is one of my favorite weapons to use some people believe the bound bow dosn't scale well at higher levels but before the legendary patch my assassin used the bound bow until level 81

Joker

Cook, Wine Taster, Scotch Taster, Adventure Seeker
Haha, I did not know that about the Bullseye perk :D That would explain why I sometimes have seemed to hit the opponent with something even though my arrow has clearly missed by a mile... LOL. Funny game.

I'd personally just stick with archery, but that's your choice. I agree with Nighthiker77 and Mewness; if you want to use both Archery and 1H, level archery first. I'd invest in Sneak as well.

BTW, what race are you playing as, itamag? :)

I love using Illusion. Calm & Fury are great spells to control foes. Calm allows you to backstab them, or sneak & slit their throats. Fury has them attacking one another, depleting health that you get to take advantage of when the last one comes at you.... :D

Conjuration gives the bound weapons, sword & bow are the two I use. Mistic binding makes them stronger, and soul stealer fills soul gems when you use the conjured weapons. They only last fro a couple of minutes, but the time they are conjured is more than enough time for the magicka to replenish.

Bound Bow levels conjuration & archery, and your archery skill perks make this more effective as well, so it is doubly good. Bound Sword levels Conjuration and 1H, so along with your 1H perks, this gets stronger the more you use it as well. So Conjuration is not only effective, but helpful in more than one area.

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
I like the battle strategy and use it often.
Some access to invisibility is extremely useful.
With no Alchemy and only 50 in Illusion , your potions will be limited and the expert spell unavailable.
So either the Shadow Stone or the Shadowcloak of Nocturnal might be considered.
Not offended :D . I'm a Kajiit. Thank for all the responses! But I have two more questions: If I drop some of light armor and smithing and one handed, I'll have a bunch of available perk points. What should I use them for? Also, how should I be perk-wise and health/stamina/magicka at say levels 10, 20, 25, 30 etc. ?
if you got a pc version you should get the Khajiit runs on all 4 mod on the nexus