New character/build idea (Shield mage)

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Rown

The idea is pretty simple, shield in one hand spell in the other. I'm not taking any dual casting perks for roleplaying, the character comes from an order of wizards whose shields are as important as thier spells, so they dont expect to be casting with both hands. I will cast spells with both hands sometimes but the perk can't be taken.
It's probably not very powerful compared to other builds but the flavor of the character is great and the feeling of shield bashing and then unleashing flames is really satisfying and requires skill to really master. anyway a few pics of my new Spellbreaker (think of a better name for me?) Olorin

2013-01-18_00004.jpg2013-01-18_00006.jpg2013-01-18_00007.jpg

PelagiusIV

That's a pretty interesting build. It's different from the primary build's usually used which probably makes it a lot of fun to play. I may even consider doing a similar build now with the Breton I'm planning on starting soon. Have you found any draw backs to that style yet?

Rown

I've been playing for a few hours now and the drawback really only seems to be that it is a defensive build. I havent been killed yet and I am playing on master, the ability to shield bash is actually almost overpowerd when combined with spells, im looking for a mod to make combat harder at this point.

The build is still a ton of fun!2013-01-18_00012.jpg

PelagiusIV

Mods....how I wish I had a desktop so I could get Skyrim on the PC. I go on Nexus from time to time just to see what's out there and I find it insane how good most of the mods are. It only drives me into further depression knowing I can't use them :sadface:

I'll most likely start my character tomorrow, if I choose to try out this build I let you know how it goes for me too. Right now its between this one and a conjuration battlemage.

Rown

I feel so bad for everyone on console not being able to mod, on the other hand i completely forget what vanilla skyrim was like.

It would be nice to have another shield brother out there :)

Solo7319

A while ago I started a female Breton named Myra Fair-Shield, and I'm planning to follow a loose shieldmage build. I was thinking of using mostly conjuration, and then once my summon is out and fighting I mix it up with my enemies with a mace. I've been looking at a bunch of shield-based mages, and conjuration just makes the most sense to me. I am just on my last day of a Hawaiian holiday, but when I get back I'll start playing as Myra. Any advice on the conjuration/destruction thing? Is there another magic skill that I should incorporate? Thanks.

-Good fighting, shield-brothers!

Andre2807

Any advice on the conjuration/destruction thing? Is there another magic skill that I should incorporate? Thanks.

I would add Illusion to the fray.

Illusion just adds to the confusion already caused by well timed summon.

wrighty

Thalmor 3rd Emissary
An interesting build but I do not think it will be a lasting build, simply because you will seriously miss the damage from dual casting, spells are incredibly weak and underpowered in Skyrim compared to weapons especially if you don't dual cast and your on master.

Andre2807

You won't miss the damage from dual casting that much, because you can still summon for help (Conjuration) or Calm or Frenzy enemies (Illusion). Also, once you unlock the Block Runner and Shield Charge perk, you'll have a fun time. Couple that with a few shouts and you are really good to go!

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Alteration is quite useful to have with the added spell resist perks, also paralyze is a very useful spell when facing several foes, while it won't kill them, generally people rarely resist paralyze and it'll come in handy when your destruction damage is less with one casting hand. With your shield becoming your weapon and your defense, paralyze will help manage the battlefield. Stopping any foe from flanking and keeping yourself from getting surrounded.