New character and Im running into problems

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Heres the deal for my new character Im gonna focus on getting enchanting, smithing and alchemy up to 100 and then create a set of weapons and armor. I decided to also heavily invest perks into maximizing damage output for my weapons, however I found putting perks into juggernaut was a waste due to the armor cap. The most Ill do for armor is one perk into juggernaut and one for well fitted. Here's my problem though. Once I finish making my set of armor and weapons from doing an enchanting/alchemy/smithing loop Im pretty much invincible at this point. I did this before, with some enchants on some apparel you can get bow and one handed weapons damage ridiculously high. Is there and difficulty mods I can add to help thisproblem out? Im trying to install ASIS through my nexus mod manager but I am unsure If I installed it correctly. Any ideas how to make the game harder once Im done with my weapons and armor Im going to make?

mcfrg

Here is an idea. Instead of building up Alchemy, smithing and enchanting, simply build up Speech and buy the stuff you want. The items you find in shops and chests are probably balanced enough to give you a challenge.

Wildroses

For your current character, try implementing a dead is dead playstyle from now on. Once your character dies, they are dead forever and can't ever be played again. That makes combat a bit more frightening, and heights are something to be cautious about.

But speaking from experience, I'm afraid to say I think you may have ruined your character. My second character I did the exact same thing, and I ended up dumping her because she was so incredibly boring. I never invest perks in all three of the crafting trees now. The only character in which I invested perks and farmed in both smithing and alchemy was a dead is dead playstyle character. I'm thinking of making another soon which I am seriously considering making a perked, farm to 100 character in Alchemy/Enchanting/Restoration. To keep her balanced, I am wondering about never putting any HP points in health or stamina, so all my enchanting will be taken up with health and stamina boosting ones. But I haven't quite decided to do it yet because I still fear that combat will get eventually boring if I grind both enchanting and alchemy despite being the squishiest mage ever. That's how overpowered multiple crafting trees can get. Maybe I'll invest in Illusion or Alteration or Conjuration instead of Enchanting. Regardless, the only smithing this character will be allowed to do is making Hearthfire materials.

Adam Belmont

Don't deal with Smithing and Enchanting at the same time otherwise you will get bored. I have a warrior with just Smithing and some alchemy to make healing potions. I don't deal with magic because the game will be too easy if I do it. Enchantment makes this game too easy, I can see that with my mage, I've made some itens with it and I don't have any challenge.

Panthera

Don Gato
Use steel or iron for that matter to make weaponry and armory. Make them legendary without alchemy. Than you will not be able to do too much damage but still enough. And maybe you should go dual wielding. Use alchemy only for health and stamina potions and for poison. But have some limit like only 5 potions or less for each kind, to go around.

Lethennon

I would suggest this method.

Lvling smithing and enchanting is pretty easy and goes hand in hand. You will also want to lvl up speech as well.

1. Go to blackbriar meadery and lvl speech using the guy at the counter. There is a repeatable intimidate dialogue.

2. Spend a little gold on buying the mats to make a dozen(12 or so costs less than 500) iron daggers, though you can start the process with just one dagger and one petty soul gem. This is how you will lvl smithing, making iron daggers.

3. Once your 1st batch of iron daggers is done, enchant them with the Banish Daedra enchant. You will need to get this in order for this method to work, it is purchasable and drops randomly. This is how you lvl enchanting, by enchanting the daggers.

4. Once enchanted your low cost daggers are now worth ~500 gold a piece. Since your speech is lvled you can put perk points in speech to get the ability to "sell anything to any vendor" This lets you restock petty/common soul stones by trading your super vlauable daggers.

5. Repeat, this time getting 5x the daggers made since you can trade your previous ones at a huge profit. You can just go to each blacksmith and buy up all their iron. Then go to college of winterhold and buy up petty/common gems. General stores and some apothecaries also sell these.

In the end you will have 100 smithing, 100 enchanting, 100 speech, and a stock of valuable daggers as well as a pile of gold. This is in my opinion an excellent way to kick off a new character.

Panthera

Don Gato
I would suggest this method.

Lvling smithing and enchanting is pretty easy and goes hand in hand. You will also want to lvl up speech as well.

1. Go to blackbriar meadery and lvl speech using the guy at the counter. There is a repeatable intimidate dialogue.

2. Spend a little gold on buying the mats to make a dozen(12 or so costs less than 500) iron daggers, though you can start the process with just one dagger and one petty soul gem. This is how you will lvl smithing, making iron daggers.

3. Once your 1st batch of iron daggers is done, enchant them with the Banish Daedra enchant. You will need to get this in order for this method to work, it is purchasable and drops randomly. This is how you lvl enchanting, by enchanting the daggers.

4. Once enchanted your low cost daggers are now worth ~500 gold a piece. Since your speech is lvled you can put perk points in speech to get the ability to "sell anything to any vendor" This lets you restock petty/common soul stones by trading your super vlauable daggers.

5. Repeat, this time getting 5x the daggers made since you can trade your previous ones at a huge profit. You can just go to each blacksmith and buy up all their iron. Then go to college of winterhold and buy up petty/common gems. General stores and some apothecaries also sell these.

In the end you will have 100 smithing, 100 enchanting, 100 speech, and a stock of valuable daggers as well as a pile of gold. This is in my opinion an excellent way to kick off a new character.
I think he already knows that... his problem is that he becomes overpowered.

MrDSL

Wouldnt it be easier to just not use the restoration glitch?

I make it a point to only use the max enchant/smithing the game would allow not using an exploit simply because there is no fun one hitting everything and wearing armor with insane enchants.

Have you tried not doing the Crafting loop, and then raising the difficulty to compensate? I mean, if you want a challenge, why are you spending your first hours of the game making yourself nigh invulnerable with 1HK weapons? Seems kind of like you're making a problem for yourself, and asking for the solution. Don't make the problem in the first place, and just play the game.

Lethennon

Wouldnt it be easier to just not use the restoration glitch?

I make it a point to only use the max enchant/smithing the game would allow not using an exploit simply because there is no fun one hitting everything and wearing armor with insane enchants.

Thats what I was suggesting. A method for lvling those areas without using a glitch.

Try crafting lower powered gear. Leather, Iron, and all lower tiers of armor can't be Smithed up to Legendary without fortifying Smithy, so don't fortify Smithy to make them, and dial back the Enchantments on your weapons as well. You can use crafting to make the game too easy, but you can't turn around, and adjust the difficulty with the same skills? This would be a lot simpler than looking for Mods to increase the difficulty, especially since you already have the setup.

Quick question, how do all you craft loopers get the Enchantments for Fortify Alchemy and Smithing without adventuring? How do you survive to get them without the endgame gear you need to compensate for not knowing how to play a level proportionate character? Do you just console everything in, and jumps straight to the endgame?

MrDSL

Try crafting lower powered gear. Leather, Iron, and all lower tiers of armor can't be Smithed up to Legendary without fortifying Smithy, so don't fortify Smithy to make them, and dial back the Enchantments on your weapons as well. You can use crafting to make the game too easy, but you can't turn around, and adjust the difficulty with the same skills? This would be a lot simpler than looking for Mods to increase the difficulty, especially since you already have the setup.

Quick question, how do all you craft loopers get the Enchantments for Fortify Alchemy and Smithing without adventuring? How do you survive to get them without the endgame gear you need to compensate for not knowing how to play a level proportionate character? Do you just console everything in, and jumps straight to the endgame?

I can't speak for anyone else but myself but I personally do not use the glitch because it makes the game too damn easy but I do use the glitch for my son's character..He just likes to run around and destroy stuff..

My guess is some probably use a glitch to level and from there on its pretty easy. Like my sons character I just used the glitch at the beginning of the game in Helgen and got him up to like 20+ before even leaving there and then I used the speech glitch in Rifton and by that time pretty much had everything needed to do the restoration glitch.

I dont know why he finds it fun destroying everything easily but whatever floats his boat..He doesnt do quests or anything just explores.

I can't speak for anyone else but myself but I personally do not use the glitch because it makes the game too damn easy but I do use the glitch for my son's character..He just likes to run around and destroy stuff..

My guess is some probably use a glitch to level and from there on its pretty easy. Like my sons character I just used the glitch at the beginning of the game in Helgen and got him up to like 20+ before even leaving there and then I used the speech glitch in Rifton and by that time pretty much had everything needed to do the restoration glitch.

I dont know why he finds it fun destroying everything easily but whatever floats his boat..He doesnt do quests or anything just explores.
I was mostly asking about the Enchanting Effects. The Fortify Restoration Potion is pretty easy to look up, but the Fortify Alchemy Enchantment isn't exactly common. So, you go get the Forgemaster's Fingers (Assuming you're not an Orc, which is a popular choice for this type because of the Berserker Rage Power) Muiri's Ring, and the Ring of Destruction from Rulindil, what else do you need from Enchanting? Right, souls, gems, and maybe Fortify Weapon/Armor Skills.

So you go get all that crap, pick up Ingredients along the way, and Then you can start Crafting? How long does this take? I mean, first, you have to grind up Alchemy, Enchanting, and Smithing, with the Fortify Restoration Potion, then you take potions, enchant gear, take potions...

I've never actually done this, because I like to play the game, fight, adventure, and not spend hours looking for stuff to start crafting so that I can equip myself to Start my adventure. I can't really get behind the Mindset, other than Moar Power, only it's not, because by doubling your Character Level with Alchemy, Enchanting, Smithing, and Speech to buy, and sell several Lydia loads of materials, and finished products, you actually need the extra damage to fight the beasies that are leveled as well because of it.

Which isn't to say I never made it to 81. I did, the long way, it took me about 10 days, but I wasn't working at it full stop. Very rewarding, and then the question was "Now what?" The DLCs hadn't come out yet, I've beaten everything in the game, and the first one turned out to be a Vampire the wannabe wank fest, so I saved over it. owever, it's fairly obvious that this is the preferred way to play. No, not you, I'm not talking about you, so before you jump in, forget it.

Anyway, since it's so alien to me, I thought I'd ask in the next thread where there seemed to be a bunch of Craftmasters. The one thing I'm really most confused about is the Enchanting Effects. Sure, I've seen them, but that's in hundreds of playthroughs. I can't remember when saw All of them early enough to make the Enchanting side of the cycle doable, unless you go out, join 3 factions, and do several rather hard Quests before you have your Master Difficulty gear. I read about it, all the time, and all over the web, but I've never actually seen a satisfactory guide to doing it.

MrDSL

Easiest way is the oghma infinium book glitch..

You can start the game fresh and pick up a potion of speech..its another name but it increases speech..get it from an alchemy merchant.

Go to rifton and use it then talk to the guy in mavens mead store and use the glitch to max speech to 100....should get you around lvl 15..

Then I immediately do the book quest to acquire it..during all this I sell everything I can to get as much coin as I can..

Once you have the book its off to whiterun to do the quests to get buy the home in there because you'll need the bookshelf to do the book glitch..

Do book glitch and then hit lvl 81...

Now make some hide gear or whatever cheap gear you can..ring and amulet included.

Now enchant everything that you can with % to alchemy..

Now simply put gear on..make a restoration potion...drink it..

Take gear off and on and you'll see the % increase...make another stronger restortation potion and drink it and unequip and equip gear again..

You'll notice if you select to make an enchant potion it will be much higher...continue restoration glitch until your enchant potion is what you want...don't go too high or you'll break the game..

Easiest way is the oghma infinium book glitch..

Now enchant everything that you can with % to alchemy..
I know how to bookshelf train, that wasn't the question. Where do you get the items to Disenchant to do the Enchanting part of the Crafting Loop?

MrDSL

I know how to bookshelf train, that wasn't the question. Where do you get the items to Disenchant to do the Enchanting part of the Crafting Loop?

Weapon Merchants mostly or simply drops...you'll just have to run through them all a few times..that's not counting the items that have enchants you get from drops..

Certain ones seem to be harder to find but you can still get them fairly quickly.

Ok well Im on my way to lvl 100 in smithing and enchanting. I havent got the banish daedra enchant yet however I got absorb health. Im going to have to use the speech glitch. I got a lot of junk and no one can afford it. While Im lvling up alchemy Im making very expensive potions that have no other purpose but to be sold. Im looking for Falmer helmets but cant find any. I did the dwemer ruins in markarth and did not come across a single falmer helmet.

Im not going to use the restoration glitch However between 40+ damage in burning and absorbing 40+ health I think to keep things challenging I should focus on my destructive mage skills and only resort to my ebony or daedric mace when no other options are available.

MrDSL

Ok well Im on my way to lvl 100 in smithing and enchanting. I havent got the banish daedra enchant yet however I got absorb health. Im going to have to use the speech glitch. I got a lot of junk and no one can afford it. While Im lvling up alchemy Im making very expensive potions that have no other purpose but to be sold. Im looking for Falmer helmets but cant find any. I did the dwemer ruins in markarth and did not come across a single falmer helmet.

Im not going to use the restoration glitch However between 40+ damage in burning and absorbing 40+ health I think to keep things challenging I should focus on my destructive mage skills and only resort to my ebony or daedric mace when no other options are available.

A good place to find it would be Tolvalds Cave which is a bit north of Rifton along the mountain..This is also the best place to gather glowing mushrooms..Its my go to place for the mushrooms and the falmer helmet.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts