Xbox 360 Need Technical Help - Freezing Problems

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Agent C

Dovahkiin
Hello, fellow Skyrimmers! I'm having a problem with the Xbox 360 of the game. I can play Skyrim for a hour or so before it freezes. This started happening after I formatted my Xbox 360 hard drive. I'm really upset that this is happening.

Also, when I was making a new save after I had formatted my hard drive everything was late. What I mean by that was when Ralof said, "Hey, you! You're finally awake." He didn't say, "You were caught crossing..." until we were almost to Helgen.

I've looked around and all that I could find is that since Bethesda games are so large, it messes with the Xbox's processor (I believe that is what it was, if my memory serves me correct).

Any help will be appreciated!

Also, it only does this for Skyrim. After this last happened I popped in Left for Dead 2 and it worked like a dream.

Please help me! This is ruining my gaming time for me.

Thank you for any help in advance!

Note: I may not reply back but I'll be reading from my phone (I can't sign in from my phone). So keep helping and I'll post soon enough.

Agent C

Dovahkiin
It just did it again. I'm getting tired of this. I've looked and seen how much an Xbox 360 250gb hard drive is and it is over $100 USD (that was a 320gb hard drive, I'm assuming that the 250gb one is a tad less) I can't afford that. I'm going to reformat it one more time.

Please help me!

JClarke1953

The one I have does that at times, but it doesn't seem as bad as yours. I didn't format the HD, just deleted what games were on there ( it's our son's, but he's in Okinawa for two year's). Skyrim and Reckoning are all I play, not much on the faster playing games. This XBox was bought about a year after they initially came out, and it's been kept clean. But HD's are HD's, they do get hinky, or they last 7- forever's. But not sure if what's in the box is the general HD either.

Medea

The Shadow Queen
It sounds to me like your xbox is starting to have over-heating problems. If some of the games you play, like Skyrim, are more taxing to the xbox's system, it will cause your games to freeze at first. Later, it will actually start shutting down your xbox entirely, showing a half red ring of death. I've had this happen to three xbox consoles. There is nothing you can do if this is the case, except get a new xbox, or send it in for repair. The over-heating problem causes small cracks in your internal hardware that get worse over time.

Agent C

Dovahkiin
Will placing a fan next to the console work? Cause I did this and it cooled it off some. And I can see your point, the console has been getting hot lately. How would I send the console in to Microsoft? Thanks for all of your help.

Also, could I play my Xbox to the point of RRoD? It happened again today for the third time in the span of a day or so. Do you know how long it will be roughly until I get the RRoD? Would it make a difference if I've already had the RRoD (actually, thinking back, it was the dot that was red)?

JClarke1953

I noticed the XBox I use was getting warm, noticing the warmth of the Skyrim disc when I took it out. I also have it lying flat, and put 4 small pieces of cardboard under each corner, lifting it about half an inch further from what it sits on. I felt that the engineer's at Microsoft didn't allow for enough distance at the bottom for good air circulation.

And, there is a noticeable difference on the disc when I take it out. It's not as warm as it was getting. Also, our son always had it lying flat instead of on it's side, and I keep it like that as well. We'd read of problems about the positioning of the console.

But, if you've had your XBox heating a lot, the HD might have a slight warp/crack. Not enough to visibly see, but then, it doesn't take much either. I'm afraid you're going to have to deal with replacing the HD, as no amount of formatting is going to fix whatever is going on. Also, check and see how dusty it might be under and inside. Dust can be an insulator, keeping heat in, and not allowing it to cool properly.

Also, I do know there are no vents on the bottom. Thing is, the XBox is going to get warm, and the surface it is on will reflect the heat, that's why I considered putting more space between the XBox and the (in this case a thick glass shelf), and what it rests on.

It just did it again. I'm getting tired of this. I've looked and seen how much an Xbox 360 250gb hard drive is and it is over $100 USD (that was a 320gb hard drive, I'm assuming that the 250gb one is a tad less) I can't afford that. I'm going to reformat it one more time.

Please help me!
Agent C

It;s the game not the console I have a xbox 360 with a 250 GB and it still freezes on me.

Zuper Dragon

I too have freezing issues, but it was only after i got one of the new xboxs for my Birthday that the freezing began so it could be the xbox, but then again only skyrim freezes on me after 15min - 1 hour of playing, Im going to get my disc a nice cleaning and see if that helps at all. The main reason i believe it may be the disc is because Ive got games with way more data and content, like Battlefield 3 premium, and that game never freezes.

Agent C

Dovahkiin
Okay, I have an update. I have stopped playing Skyrim :sadface: but my Xbox 360 is no longer freezing. However, it still does the format thing, but not as often (I didn't have Xbox LIVE, so I got it and downloaded the update(s). It does it about twice a week (if that).

I'm satisfied with this, I'm saving up money so I can have my console repaired.

Thank you all for your help! This is a really amazing community and I'm really happy to be a part of it. Thanks again!

Zuper Dragon

It turns out my new xbox didnt have skyrim installed, after which all the freezing nearly vanished(it happened once more since then but thats the best its been so far.) before spending money on new consoles and games, try installing your old ones if they havent already and give them another go.

ShangTsung

It turns out my new xbox didnt have skyrim installed, after which all the freezing nearly vanished(it happened once more since then but thats the best its been so far.) before spending money on new consoles and games, try installing your old ones if they havent already and give them another go.
hmm.. thats weird, i recently installed the game on my hd hoping it would fix the issue and my game is still freezing like a fiend.. guess i'm just unlucky.