• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Barcelonic

Hi all,

Im new to the game and am a Wood Elf archer. Only in dragonsreach at the mo.

Badically Im still surprised Im enjoying this game so much. I loved Fallout New Vegas and so this is why I bought this game, but in truth I've never in my life read a fantasy book, watched a fantasy film (eg. Lod of the rings, harry potter etc..) or played a fantasy game (Oblivion, Morrowwind etc..)

I was reluctant to get this as I didn't like the genre that much but now Im totally immersed as my character in Skyrim. Its like a darker version of fallout lol

Anyways Im sure i'll have plenty of questions but in the meantime I just wanted to say hey! :)

(Btw Im a 27yr old male, a gamer. I usually play strategy games or sandbox action games. Skyrim rocks and i can't wait until im proficient enough with the bow to unlock Power Shot!!)

Your a Wood Elf archer too? Have you met Oakfeather Eagle-Eyes? (He is my archer character in Skyrim. I took a break from my real charrie, Wolfred, cause I am about to do the final few main quests with him. He is level... 33? 34? While Oakfeather is between 12 and 15)

Barcelonic

Your a Wood Elf archer too? Have you met Oakfeather Eagle-Eyes? (He is my archer character in Skyrim. I took a break from my real charrie, Wolfred, cause I am about to do the final few main quests with him. He is level... 33? 34? While Oakfeather is between 12 and 15)

Hi Wolfred the Brave! :)

How can i meet your character? its not mmo?

No i haven't progressed that far yet anyways im still in whiterun/dragonsreach and just killed first dragon.

do you think i should go for a quicker bow or a stronger bow? i've heard using a quicker one can be good cus you can get more shots off and more chances of enchanting an enemy that way? But then stronger bows are more accurate and go farther. A toughie :)

Well, I go for stronger bows, because you end up getting a perk where you shoot faster. Although, coupled with better arrows, you could have a strong, quick bow. As long as you bring your smithing up, you could have an overpowered longbow, which is the fastest bow in the game, as far as I know.

Barcelonic

Well, I go for stronger bows, because you end up getting a perk where you shoot faster. Although, coupled with better arrows, you could have a strong, quick bow. As long as you bring your smithing up, you could have an overpowered longbow, which is the fastest bow in the game, as far as I know.

great tips, thanks :)

is there any list of arrows by the damage they do? perhaps online somewhere?
so far i've encountered iron, steel and ancient nordsman arrows

Also do you know how many arrows i can make from an ingot, and what else (if anything) is needed to smith arrows?

Thanks again :)

Edit: Also, i heard that after you start slaying dragons its a lot easier to have loads of cash whereas right now its quite scarce even with foraging for stuff to sell. Is this true?

Lemme give you a whole list of tips, starting with what questions you have asked.
One: There is probably an Arrow list on elderscrolls.wikia.com, but here are the ones I know of:
Forsworn
Iron
Steel
Dwarven
Elven
Glass
Orcish
Ebony
Daedric
Ancient nord
(In no particular order)
Two: You actually can't forge arrows. Well, I can't. Maybe on the computer or something you can. I play Xbox.
Three: Well, once you get farther in the game you will get tons of cash from the smallest quests. Also, dragons and giants normally have anywhere from 100-400 gold on them, maybe more. Furthermore, you get from 500-1200 gold in the infinite Dark Brotherhood Forever quests, and in Hail Sithis! (Where you kill the Emporer) you get 20000 in one go. So yeah, the brotherhood is profitable.
More: upgrade your smithing, be you a theif, archer, assassain or warrior. The only thing you don't need smithing for is Mage, cause they don't use armor or weaponry.
When enchanting weapons, use cheaper soul gems, because you get the same effect no matter what size you use. When enchanting Armor, use the biggest soul gems you can find, because the bigger the soul, the stronger the effect.
join every guild you can, because each one is profitable in both money and strong items.
No matter what side you choose in the war, you get about 500 gold per quest, and the quests are easy because you have backup. If you want light armor, go Stormcloaks, because you can get General Tullius' Armor at the end, which is aweseome looking.

Barcelonic

Lemme give you a whole list of tips, starting with what questions you have asked.
One: There is probably an Arrow list on elderscrolls.wikia.com, but here are the ones I know of:
Forsworn
Iron
Steel
Dwarven
Elven
Glass
Orcish
Ebony
Daedric
Ancient nord
(In no particular order)
Two: You actually can't forge arrows. Well, I can't. Maybe on the computer or something you can. I play Xbox.
Three: Well, once you get farther in the game you will get tons of cash from the smallest quests. Also, dragons and giants normally have anywhere from 100-400 gold on them, maybe more. Furthermore, you get from 500-1200 gold in the infinite Dark Brotherhood Forever quests, and in Hail Sithis! (Where you kill the Emporer) you get 20000 in one go. So yeah, the brotherhood is profitable.
More: upgrade your smithing, be you a theif, archer, assassain or warrior. The only thing you don't need smithing for is Mage, cause they don't use armor or weaponry.
When enchanting weapons, use cheaper soul gems, because you get the same effect no matter what size you use. When enchanting Armor, use the biggest soul gems you can find, because the bigger the soul, the stronger the effect.
join every guild you can, because each one is profitable in both money and strong items.
No matter what side you choose in the war, you get about 500 gold per quest, and the quests are easy because you have backup. If you want light armor, go Stormcloaks, because you can get General Tullius' Armor at the end, which is aweseome looking.

thanks again thats great stuff :)

are the mammoths hostile? i got quite close and either he didnt spot me or they dont attack and i couldnt figure out which there was a giant next to him and those things i avoid atm because it takes about 6 or 7 arrows to down one. What level is a giant cus my bow makes anything under level 7 flee

Also how do i fill sould gems?

As for armor, as a wood elf i have a bonus to light armor but even though i prefer the look of light armor im always using heavy armor because i keep dying lol. Somehow giants kill me with one hit!

mammoths usually become hostile if you walk literally right next to one, or if you attack it. Giants are very strong- Their main attack sends you flying into the air and is an autokill.
For Soul gems you either need the spell Soul Trap, which you cast and then quickly kill the one you have casted on, or a weapon with a soul trap enchantment.
Use Light armor for an archer. Heavy armor may have better armor rating, but it is exactly that- heavy. It slows you down, makes it easier for you to get detected when sneaking, and drains your stamina faster. All of those reduce your skill as an archer. You need to be quick to get to good spots, you need hidden-ness for the damage multiplier and so you don't get caught, and you need stamina for Eagle Eye. Eagle eye and the thing that only branches off of it are very useful perks for an archer, and you need lots of stamina to use them.

Barcelonic

Use Light armor for an archer. Heavy armor may have better armor rating, but it is exactly that- heavy. It slows you down, makes it easier for you to get detected when sneaking, and drains your stamina faster. All of those reduce your skill as an archer. You need to be quick to get to good spots, you need hidden-ness for the damage multiplier and so you don't get caught, and you need stamina for Eagle Eye. Eagle eye and the thing that only branches off of it are very useful perks for an archer, and you need lots of stamina to use them.

trouble is once i've got my initial sneak attack hit on an enemy, either it doesnt kill them outright or there are more enemies who now know where i am. In cramped dungeons i find myself firing lots of shots whilst trying to keep a distance and get behind my follower (no irony intended lol) so i think i will heed your advice and use light armor but should i focus more on stamina or on health - btw so far i've not done anything with my magic level and barely used it because bows are two-handed :sadface:

Edit: i just did a quest where i handed over the Redguard woman from the tavern to the Al'Akir warriors after promising her i'd kill Kamatu and battling my way through the cave only to meet Kamatu and betray the girl for gold - does this turn out to be right thing to do? I still don't know which of them was telling the truth and its killing me I won't know until probably later in the game if at all - ?? thanks again :)

You never find out. I had simply killed Kematu with my first character (the one I use as my name here, Wolfred), but then with Oakfeather, my archer, I betrayed her, then when I got he gold I killed Kematu and freed her. I thought she would thank me, but she attacked me...

Anyways, geuss what I found in a random chest in the vaultheim Towers? (Those are the towers on the road to Ivarstead from Riverwood) DAEDRIC BOOTS.
My level is... 37? And my smithing skill is at ebony, but I don't know the exact number.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts