Xbox 360 My Horse is acting like a stolen one.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Klinoc

So my purchased horse's have started acting like stolen ones, by walking away every time i dismount, and im not talking about just a few feet, it walks the whole way back to purchase stable, no matter how far the distance. ive went around and killed any horses that were mine in each stable (found 4).
so im wondering is there perhaps another couple horses out there not returning to stables and messing it up and has it happened/been happening to anybody else?

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Maybe shadowmere, horse you get during the Dark Brotherhood quest line.

Klinoc

Maybe shadowmere, horse you get during the Dark Brotherhood quest line.
na shadowmere has been dead in my game for ages and its only happening the last 3/4 days with thehorses, really annoying. i only updated to patch 1.6 the day before yesterday but im fairly sure i had lost at least 2 horses on the side of the road in the couple of days before, that were nowhere near a fight and definetely didnt die there. only noticed last night that they were returning to the stables.
hopefully its not just my game, so there might be a fix for it.

**EDIT** after going back multiple times before i went back to where shadowmere died just to make sure and he has respawned there. im guessing it was the patch that made him respawn and was messing with my own horses. he died at least 3 ingame months ago and ive been back to where he died 3 or4 times to check.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
**EDIT** after going back multiple times before i went back to where shadowmere died just to make sure and he has respawned there. im guessing it was the patch that made him respawn and was messing with my own horses. he died at least 3 ingame months ago and ive been back to where he died 3 or4 times to check.
It's not the patch. Shadowmere respawns after 15 game days at the location where he dies, but if you enter the cell area where he died at any time prior to that you'll reset the timer, and outdoor cell areas can vary significantly in size.

Klinoc

It's not the patch. Shadowmere respawns after 15 game days at the location where he dies, but if you enter the cell area where he died at any time prior to that you'll reset the timer, and outdoor cell areas can vary significantly in size.
thanks for that, didnt know you had to stay away completely. will know the next time, so hopefully he doesnt die somewhere silly like outside whiterun or ill never get him back haha.

Lunarautumn

Greetings all, I just joined here and I was wondering if anyone found out why this is happening? I am having the same issue and have not gotten to the shadowmere quest yet. I built my home Lakeview Manor, and I purchased my horse at Markarth stables. When i bring the horse home and try to leave it in my stable or get off of it anywhere else it tries to walk back to Markarth stables I have only had 2 other horses and both were killed withing 10 min of owning them lol but any help would be greatly appreciated !

Dagmar

I have only had 2 other horses and both were killed withing 10 min of owning them lol but any help would be greatly appreciated !
Have you been buying them all from Markarth Stable? Purchased horses that die will eventually respawn and head back to their stable. They display the behavior described in this thread and if you purchase from the same stable you can end up taking the wrong horse.

Lunarautumn

I Purchased one of the other 2 from Markarth Stable, the other was from whiterun which the owner was killed by vampires. There are 2 horses back at whiterun, but both say steal this horse. The other one at Markarth Stable just says ride this horse, the one i got on and took had my name, so it must have been one that re spawned because now that i think about it, I had gotten off of the horse and I guess I was not far enough away and it ran up and attacked a foe and was killed.
Thank you for your reply, so is there any way to get it to stay with me without killing it and res-erecting it i am playing on the 360 not the pc

Dagmar

There's no way to fix the respawned horse but the if the other horse is the one you purchased the second time that one should behave normally. I can't really test this because I have a horse mod that let's you set the AI of the horse regarding how it acts when you dismount it that I think overrides the respawned horse's normal behavior of heading back to the stable.

JClarke1953

I had my steward go buy the horse, and so far, it's stayed put, altho' I don't use it much as it's too easily killed. Shadow mere was by far the most reliable mount, and a good tank when fighting Alduin at the Throat of the World. The Forsworn killed it one time, I searched Shadowmere and there were several different kinds of arrow's in him. I backed up to a save before the encounter with the Forsworn and kept him alive.

The horse I stole/kept in Riften kept wandering off, so I fast traveled while on it to a cliff, killed him, then used blasts from my Lightning casts to push him over the edge.

Lunarautumn

OK since my post i have gone on a quest to find the last horse i rode. From what i have read you can buy several, but the last one you rode and/or fast traveled with is the one that will stay with you. The others will wonder back to the stables you bought it at. Well i have found 3 with my name 2 spotted that look like they came from Riften Stables,and a Brown and white that came from Markarth stables. The first spotted horse i brought back to Riften, and it strolled up to the stables and stayed there, the brown and white one i found wandering i brought back to Markarth stables and again it stayed put. Then i found another spotted horse outside of whiterun with my name, and again i brought it back to Riften and it walked up to the stables and stayed, but i noticed the one i had already brought to Riften was gone. So I went back to Markarth stables and there was the spotted horse i left in Riften standing at the corner of the stables and my brown and white one was there too. Each time i go back to Riften with the spotted horse i find back at Markarth stables the other is gone, and it appears back at Markarth stables even tho it walked right into the Riften stables and stayed there before.Out of the 3, none will stay with me, they all will wonder off when i dismount. Could this be an issue where i had also purchased a hunting dog at Markarth stables? I am not looking to ride the horse everywhere i just want to put it in my stable at my home at Lakeview Manor, but none of themm will stay there or with me,any suggestions?

Lunarautumn

I have the Hearthfire DLC also Dawnguard. The new Dragonborn was installed this morning but i am still having this issue. is there an update i am missing or a patch? I figured any updates would tell me when starting the game Great photo Anthrax did you grow up in the 80's just wondering with your name :-)

Lunarautumn

So far no luck with the horses But I did get my family to move into Lakeview YEA !!! i came home to my house in whiterun walked in to Breezehome and i actually had the option while talking to my wife to move the family she said she would gather things up and meet me there her and the kids were there when i came back to Lakeview but they left behind all the clothes and gifts i had given the kids. so now it is still the horses that will not stay with me