My Computer Build lacks one thing, Help?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Ivory

Let's Player
CPU- Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4 GHz Quad Core
MB- MSI Z77 MPower ATX LGA1155
Memory- Kingston Beast 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3-1600
Storage- Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM
Vid Card- Asus Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB
Case- Phantom NZXT 820 ATX Tower (Gunmetal Hell Yeah)
Optical Drive- Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Power Supply- ?????

Estimated wattage is 360W so my question is, how much of a Power supply should I consider? I don't wanna over indulge obviously, but would it be recommended to get a higher W power supply? If so, any suggestions? I was looking at a 750W, but that seems too much power that might not get used in the long run and I don't wanna shell out too much if a lower wattage can be better.

(Also, yes I am aware of the RAM. Video editing stuff)

Manmangler

Good quality over watts. About 500/550 watts quality power should be more than enough. Maybe even 450 watt quality. Some power are ust "bombs" and some are quality.

Weirdest thing that some manufactures tells just peak watts and some tells watts in constant stress (Peak watts even higher).

There is powers over 650 watts and some those sill cannot give stability in 5+ v and 12+ v lines.

Ivory

Let's Player
Good quality over watts. About 500/550 watts quality power should be more than enough. Maybe even 450 watt quality. Some power are ust "bombs" and some are quality.

Weirdest thing that some manufactures tells just peak watts and some tells watts in constant stress (Peak watts even higher).

There is powers over 650 watts and some those sill cannot give stability in 5+ v and 12+ v lines.

What dictates quality? The power supply is the one part I have researched the least of, even if a brief description it would be helpful.

Mwhals

Seasonic, Silverstone, Corsair and PC Power & Cooling are all quality manufacturers.

The Seasonic 650X is a good one I use on a much more powerful PC. You can get them at a lower wattage. Gold is the minimum I would get for power efficiency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ruinel

Defender of Derp
A big mistake in a lot of builds is the overlooking of the power supply. You don't want to buy all those expensive parts just to have it all short circuit because of a crappy PSU. A 450/500w should be fine. You want plenty of elbow room because 1.) 360 watts is an estimate, after all and 2.) you'll most likely upgrade parts in the future. You never know when the extra watts will come in handy.
Honestly, though, if your budget can handle a 750W PSU, I'd go with it. Efficiency shouldn't be a problem. PSU's work at their best when 20% or more of their capability is being used. (Just keep it under 80%) But if you want to save a few bucks, go with less wattage.
The most important thing is that you don't skimp out with the brand. Don't settle for a cheap ass PSU on Amazon with no reviews or ratings. Go with high quality names. Too many people end up ruining their builds because of the mindset that the quality of the PSU doesn't matter as much as the CPU, motherboard, or GPU.
(I recommend derping around on Jonny Guru for more info on PSU's. It may be old, but it's got some good stuff.)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts