Muffled Movement and Silence vs. Muffle Enchantment

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Julio Coolio

Hey, so I currently use ancient shrouded boots and have yet to find a pair of generic boots with the muffle enchantments, and I was wondering if in your guys' experience do the Silence and Muffled Movement perk equate to the same detection as having the Muffle enchantment would?

youraduck

I believe the perk only reduces the sound heavy armor makes as to where the enchantment silences all movement noise to the same level not just heavy armor but I can't confirm I'm on vacation and have no access to skyrim

You are not alone.A duck I am too

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
The Muffle enchantment on Ancient Shrouded Boots and the Muffled Movement perk are the same. They both give 50% reduction to noise generated by movement. The Silence perk is superior as it gives you 100% reduction to noise generated by movement. The Muffle enchantment on the highest level Nightingale Boots is also 100% and if you have 100 Enchanting and 5 Enchanter perks the Muffle enchantment you place on boots will also be 100%.

ShadowGambit

If I'm not wrong, the Muffle Spell also give you 100% noise reduction.

That said, that means that if you have generic Muffle enchantment, then Muffled Movement perk and Silence perk are obsolete.

Furthermore, if you go Illusion, if you have Muffle spell and Invisibility spell, the whole left side of the Sneak tree becomes obsolete.

Julio Coolio

Thanks guys. I can't find the muffle enchantment and I'm deciding whether or not to use a perk on silence(I already got muffled movement for silent roll), because I wasn't sure if it gave 100% noise reduction. But now I think I will to get to Shadow Warrior and I'll have an extra enchantment on my boots.

ShadowGambit

Muffle enchantment is one of the rarest in the game to find at the merchant.

Also, I think you need to get level 40+ to see it. Needs to be confirmed though.

Dagmar

That said, that means that if you have generic Muffle enchantment, then Muffled Movement perk and Silence perk are obsolete.

Furthermore, if you go Illusion, if you have Muffle spell and Invisibility spell, the whole left side of the Sneak tree becomes obsolete.
Not really. Aside from the fact that the left side includes the Light Foot perk there's no time limit when using the perk effects and Invisiblity breaks as soon as you interact with anything, being undetected from Sneak skill doesn't. In addition you have to raise your skill as much in Illusion as you would in Sneak to be able to do this and you would have to invest almost as many perk points because the Illusion build isn't useful or practical unless you have the Quiet Casting perk.

Dagmar

...if you have 100 Enchanting and 5 Enchanter perks the Muffle enchantment you place on boots will also be 100%.
Correction - The UESP Skyrim Wiki article on Muffle indicates that any Muffle enchantment you place on boots will be 100% regardless of Enchanting skill, perks or size of the Soul Gem.

Julio Coolio

So would you get the two perks?

Julio Coolio

The Muffle enchantment on Ancient Shrouded Boots and the Muffled Movement perk are the same. They both give 50% reduction to noise generated by movement. The Silence perk is superior as it gives you 100% reduction to noise generated by movement. The Muffle enchantment on the highest level Nightingale Boots is also 100% and if you have 100 Enchanting and 5 Enchanter perks the Muffle enchantment you place on boots will also be 100%.
And does this mean it reduces noise from armor too?

Dagmar

So would you get the two perks?
I would say it depends on whether you intend to continue to wear the Ancient Shrouded Boots because Muffle effects stack which puts you at 100% already. If not then in your situation, because you're already invested in the perk line, you may as well complete your stealth build through Sneak perks.
And does this mean it reduces noise from armor too?
Yes, it reduces all your movement noise.

Julio Coolio

Yeah I was wondering because I just made legendary dragonscale, so I wont be wearing Ancient Shrouded anymore, plus I can pick up Silent Roll and Shadow Warrior along the way and use a different enchantment on my boots. Win-Win. Thanks.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts