• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

whiskey

Hi everyone,

Well I filled up my little Breezehome in Whiterun pretty quickly and the treasures I've amassed have reached a level that I can't organize them well in my Breezehome. I stuck to living in Whiterun after I purchased other houses because I do all my selling there. However, it's time to move!

I own a home in Solitude and Windhelm. Both are fully furnished and decorated. Which would you recommend moving to in order to better store my things? If there are other homes I can buy, that may be better, please feel free to tell me so I can get on that.

Has anyone 'moved' in Skyrim? How annoying is the task I'm about to undertake going to be? I thought I would just divide things up and start storing things at a new home but I really like to have everything in one place.

Thanks in advance.

Monolith

The Progeny of Vikings
I've moved once from Whiterun to Riften. The whole ordeal required a couple of round trips with a follower to help carry all my junk, and took maybe 15-20 minutes, total. The greatest undertaking was carrying all of the alchemy and smithing paraphernalia I had accumulated.. that stuff weighed a ton!
If Breezehome no longer meets your needs, I'd recommend Honeyside in Riften - the house is cheap with great storage options and accessibility, and the city is literally teeming with merchants - 1 blacksmith (the only area where it falls short of Whiterun, which has 3), 3 general merchants (unless you get one of them arrested during a quest), 1 jewel merchant with 750 gold by default, one alchemist, and the court wizard in the keep just across the street from the marketplace. And if you join the thieves guild, you also have Tonilia in the Ragged Flagon, with an impressive 1000 gold to spare on your loot.

However, if you must choose between Solitude or Windhelm, I can't say I'm partial either way. I like the house in Solitude better, but it is the most expensive house in the game, and as far as selling your junk is concerned, both cities are about even in terms of merchants.

Hope this was helpful!

whiskey

Definitely helpful, thanks. I'm not sure I can get a house in Riften because my game glitched after I took care of the skooma operation but it could be a good place to go. I have plenty of gold to spare so getting whatever house is better won't be a problem, I just don't like having chests of overflowing junk lol

I've moved once from Whiterun to Riften. The whole ordeal required a couple of round trips with a follower to help carry all my junk, and took maybe 15-20 minutes, total. The greatest undertaking was carrying all of the alchemy and smithing paraphernalia I had accumulated.. that stuff weighed a ton!
If Breezehome no longer meets your needs, I'd recommend Honeyside in Riften - the house is cheap with great storage options and accessibility, and the city is literally teeming with merchants - 1 blacksmith (the only area where it falls short of Whiterun, which has 3), 3 general merchants (unless you get one of them arrested during a quest), 1 jewel merchant with 750 gold by default, one alchemist, and the court wizard in the keep just across the street from the marketplace. And if you join the thieves guild, you also have Tonilia in the Ragged Flagon, with an impressive 1000 gold to spare on your loot.

However, if you must choose between Solitude or Windhelm, I can't say I'm partial either way. I like the house in Solitude better, but it is the most expensive house in the game, and as far as selling your junk is concerned, both cities are about even in terms of merchants.

Hope this was helpful!

I recommend restoring the thieve guild to it's former glory doing so tonilia will 4000 gold for your loot along with another 3 in the ragged flagon with 1000 one being a black smith and there is also one more being a alchemist with 500 gold but he is great for leveling alchemy he always has giant toes and deadra hearts

Monolith

The Progeny of Vikings
Definitely helpful, thanks. I'm not sure I can get a house in Riften because my game glitched after I took care of the skooma operation but it could be a good place to go. I have plenty of gold to spare so getting whatever house is better won't be a problem, I just don't like having chests of overflowing junk lol

Ok, if you've got the gold to spare I would recommend the Blue Palace in Solitude. Great storage, including a safe upstairs, lots of weapon racks, a couple of mannequins downstairs, both crafting stations etc (the only gripe I have is there are no easily accessible containers right next to the crafting stations, but there's a storage room nearby with a few barrels where you can dump your alchemy ingredients, ore & ingots and such).

How did your game glitch after the skooma operation, btw?

I recommend restoring the thieve guild to it's former glory doing so tonilia will 4000 gold for your loot along with another 3 in the ragged flagon with 1000 one being a black smith and there is also one more being a alchemist with 500 gold but he is great for leveling alchemy he always has giant toes and deadra hearts

Wow, didn't know that! That's awesome! Does this happen after you've returned the skeleton key or do you still have to do the missions after that (Dainty Sload etc)? This definitely makes Riften the place to be! :cool:

Rex Prime

Premium Airtcle Writer
i Don't Recommend the House in Solitude, it's glitched, i lost my Deadric Sword because of it.....While a bit expensive, the house in Windhelm is the best, it has everything you need. But you will need to complete a quest called Blood on Ice before buying it

Ok, if you've got the gold to spare I would recommend the Blue Palace in Solitude. Great storage, including a safe upstairs, lots of weapon racks, a couple of mannequins downstairs, both crafting stations etc (the only gripe I have is there are no easily accessible containers right next to the crafting stations, but there's a storage room nearby with a few barrels where you can dump your alchemy ingredients, ore & ingots and such).

How did your game glitch after the skooma operation, btw?

Wow, didn't know that! That's awesome! Does this happen after you've returned the skeleton key or do you still have to do the missions after that (Dainty Sload etc)? This definitely makes Riften the place to be! :cool:

You don't actually have to finish all the main thieve guild quests to do so, you do vex or delvins side missions once doing five for each whiterun, solitude, windhelm, and markarth you become the guild master and receive a new set of armore from them. I recommend doing vex's burglary jobs they are just in and out fastest way IMO. Say you do 5 burglary jobs for whiterun then speak with delvin and he will give you a speacial job for whiterun doing so will unlock 1 new merchant and bump the gold of the original vendors in there to 1500 and so on and so on, it is a big drainer but well worth it with the results, mind my spelling mistacks!

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
i Don't Recommend the House in Solitude, it's glitched, i lost my Deadric Sword because of it.....While a bit expensive, the house in Windhelm is the best, it has everything you need. But you will need to complete a quest called Blood on Ice before buying it
I was going to mention that Proudspire Manor has glitches that may cause you to lose stuff. Apparently it's still not fixed. Nice place to visit but I wouldn't wanna move there.

Assuming that they fixed the bug in Windhelm that leaves blood and bones all over your house after the Blood on the Ice quest, it might be a good candidate.

I've never tried to move but if I did I would probably indulge myself in the restoration potion glitch and craft an item that would fortify my carrying capactity up to several tons so I could just grab everything in one trip.;)

Monolith

The Progeny of Vikings
You don't actually have to finish all the main thieve guild quests to do so, you do vex or delvins side missions once doing five for each whiterun, solitude, windhelm, and markarth you become the guild master and receive a new set of armore from them. I recommend doing vex's burglary jobs they are just in and out fastest way IMO. Say you do 5 burglary jobs for whiterun then speak with delvin and he will give you a speacial job for whiterun doing so will unlock 1 new merchant and bump the gold of the original vendors in there to 1500 and so on and so on, it is a big drainer but well worth it with the results, mind my spelling mistacks!

Thanks Ching! Valuable info there. I have done a few of the side missions but I always figured they were just a distraction and a way to make some coin. Good to know they're leading up to something. ;)

Heh, just noticed I was rambling on about living in the Blue Palace! I always get the Blue Palace and Proudspire Manor confused for some reason.

mellojoe

Have you ever considered getting a Mod?

Dovahkiin Hideout is pretty cool. It is HUGE, so I have started using Dovahkiin Hideout Compact instead. It is absolutely brilliant. It sets up a Basement in your house that you can use to store everything. And the basement connects to each of the homes, so no matter which home you own (or all of them) you can open a trapdoor and get to the same basement. Central storage for EVERYTHING!

It has massive storage, several mannequins, and is well organized. It also has smithing/enchanting tools/tables if you want those things. You still need to buy the houses individually, since the key is still required for the door from the basement to the house. This is not a cheat. It is just the single most well-built basement I have yet seen.

This way, you don't have to rely on glitchy homes, nor picking a home based on its usefulness. You can pick your home based on flavor. I now live in Proudspire because my character turned its back on Ulfric and the Stormcloacks and is helping the Imperials through the midst of this Civil War. Proudspire and Solitude is the best place for me to be.

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki

You can get the Blue Palace? Or did you mistype?

I've recently compounded all of my possessions strewn between Whiterun, the Archmage Quarters, and Hjerim into Honeyside. Only had to do one trip for each thanks to a follower (Illia) and two dead thralls full of loot. I didn't wipe out the shelves of items that came preloaded with the house. All of the potions, gear, soul stones are still in their place.

I was going to use Hjerim, but my dead thralls kept disappearing after killing them and leaving them locked in that secret room with the alchemy/enchanting tables. Calder always bothered me too.. asking me if I'm lost when I enter my own home! He looks the other way apparently when my corpses decide to leave the house, and he just sits there nervously chewing on a piece of bread. He clumsily knocked some leeks off of the dining table too once. *sigh*

skyrimaddict1323

Dovahkiin1323
On my main when i moved from whiterun to solitude i dit it all in one trip and had about 7500lbs. That was a loooong walk. Hadn't learned the horse trick yet.

Cyren

The place in Riften is really good, and if you are a member of the thieve's guild, you can sell a lot of stuff down there. Can't recall the person's name, but she wears light thieve's guild armour and has 4000 gold to buy with. I have all the houses in the game, and pretty much everything is in Whiterun or scattered between homes. My mannikins in SOlitude float around or stuff I put on them vanishes but shows up when I activate them.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts