• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Oren74

Yeah, I've spent my fair share on WoW boards, Everquest boards (by far the WORST back in 1999) and many others.

Skyrim is for the casual, relaxed gamer. Hardcore immature gamers stay away from Skyrim because at the end of the day, it's an extremely easy game to min/max. The real joy of Skyrim is for those that love story and character development...which lends itself to a more mature audience.

Oh and...my all time favorite game similar to Skyrim was "Bard's Tale". I lost a TON of sleep on that one growing up.

chelz0r

BC's challenge on C64, what a game...

I think Elder Scrolls games have an invisible ward around them that repels FPS, Sports or GTA type gamers. Not that I haven't wasted enough time on GTA myself, but there's something about a game where even when you get mugged they say 'please hand over you valuables' that most fans of the franchise will label as 'gay' or something similarly uncouth, and never touch again.

To anyone in the know, did TSR release a DnD game, or one like it?

I'm not sure if TSR was involved, but if you are looking for a good DnD game Icewind Dale was amazing. The Baldur's Gate series was very good too.

Back on topic with the thread, I've been very impressed with everyone on this forum. This is by far the most mature forum I've ever been a part of. I have yet to see any flamers or trolls!

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
Hey guys, great topic, kudos to the OP for bringing this to light and I couldn't agree more!

I do agree that the fact that Skyrim is not PvP based does tend to keep conversations civil and eliminates the "look-at-me!!" threads that's prevalent on boards of games that include PvP. Everyone here has the potential of earning every item in the game, nothing can't be earned by the everyday/casual player, it's just a matter of want and desire.

To my surprise, I started off much like most of you. I'm a child of the 80s, having done early gaming on my old IBM, with Infocom games like Zork, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and other games like Wizardry, Archon, and Ultima. As you can see, RPGs have always held my interest. While I never owned a C64, my friend growing up had one and I remember watching him play Bard's Tale for hours.

I played a bit of pen and paper D&D, but I was a bit too young to truly understand it and I dunno if we were ever really playing it right anyway. I'd LOVE to go into Waldenbooks and look through all the TSR books back then. The artwork on the covers were amazing, the books were just too expensive for me back then though.

Outside of gaming, I enjoy reading, loved RA Salvatore's Drizzt series, of course the desire to create a Drizzt of my own in Skyrim crossed my mind. If you're a fan of mages in general like I am, you'll love The Annotated Elminster by Ed Greenwood. Obviously also a fan of the Forgotten Realms series as Drizzt and Elminster are both featured there. I also strongly suggest The Warded Man and its follow up, The Desert Spear by Peter Brett. I also enjoyed expanded universe Star Wars novels and more modern stuff like The Hunger Games. Was a HUGE comic book reader growing up also.

I'm 36 (at least for another week), married 8 years, have two boys 5 & 2. Live in Maui, Hawaii. This board and community is top-notch. Much praise to the mods and community for keeping it so. Love it here.

Black-Tongue

Prey approaches...
I think Elder Scrolls games have an invisible ward around them that repels FPS, Sports or GTA type gamers. .

I think this is a very sad statement. Many people enjoy many different types of games. To single out FPS, Sports, or "GTA" Players is to exhibit the same prejudice that us "Mature gamers" detest.

This kind of attitude is elitism, and at it's heart is the outlook that generates the multitude of stigmas associated with other games; regardless of genre.

calamari kid

Another old fart here who grew up on C64's and Kaypro 2's. Thanks to the admins and membership for maintaining a positive signal to noise ratio, very refreshing.

andrea

I think Elder Scrolls games have an invisible ward around them that repels FPS, Sports or GTA type gamers.

nah, I played all GTAs to the end by finding everything, except GTA IV (only because I hated the fact that the night was sooooo dark you couldn't drive), I play fighting games (been Street Fighter II italian champion in 1994), I play soccer, basket games (nba jam, pro evolution soccer, FIFA) and the WWE series (WWE 12 atm), as well as some FPS (but I suck at them and I don't like multiplayer battles so...), I also play action games (castlevania, god of war, monster hunter and so on) and good ol' platforms (yeah I have a nintendo wii too for playing mario, sonic and zelda games, they remind me of the snes-genesis era). I'm kind of an all around player, of course I love RPGs (from the eye of the beholder thru baldur's gate, gothic 2 and many more) and JRPGs (Final Fantasy series, Tales of series, Phantasy Star etc.)

and yea, BC was awesome, but I hated the part where you had to jump over the river timing right not only with the moving rocks but also with the woman's club...crazy...

Panthera

Don Gato
I really don't think luck has anything to do with it. If Renegader just tossed the site up then sat back and did nothing more, I might believe more in the 'luck' theory. He has not just sat back to see how it would evolve. He's continued to pay attention and be responsive to the membership. I think that goes a long way toward the cohesiveness of the membership as a whole. I think the membership feels that the administration here is accessible and genuinely interested in what they have to say (positive and negative).

I also believe that many of our anchor members, those who post frequently and engage with everyone in the shoutbox (including interacting with guests to the site) are perceived as actual human beings with personalities as opposed to a smattering of pixels. It is easy to be a jerk to a bunch of pixels.

I don't think this forum will become less mature over time. I've been here for a while and the overall atmosphere of the community hasn't changed. I assume Nexus and official Skyrim forums absorb all the trolls and kids for us. ahahaha. Probably not but that's my theory.

I think this two things mentioned are the reasons. Maybe just to add if I'm not wrong this is 18+ game so considering most of the people are that age I doubt someone that age would act like kid... even if he wanted he couldn't because of the mature majority.

Lee

Rasta-For-I

I think Elder Scrolls games have an invisible ward around them that repels FPS, Sports or GTA type gamers. Not that I haven't wasted enough time on GTA myself, but there's something about a game where even when you get mugged they say 'please hand over you valuables' that most fans of the franchise will label as 'gay' or something similarly uncouth, and never touch again.

You think wrong:).

I play FIFA 12 and some FPS (not the COD franchise), but also like RPGs. My favourite game ever is Fallout 3. What do you think characterises "FPS, Sports or GTA type gamers"?

Panthera

Don Gato

I think this is a very sad statement. Many people enjoy many different types of games. To single out FPS, Sports, or "GTA" Players is to exhibit the same prejudice that us "Mature gamers" detest.

This kind of attitude is elitism, and at it's heart is the outlook that generates the multitude of stigmas associated with other games; regardless of genre.

Just like Black-Tongue said we all enjoy different types of the games. For me it was GTA 2 one of the best games I ever saw... what I liked about that game? It was freedom to choose a car I want to go where I want and to do what I wanted! From then on I always loved GTA franchise, specially GTA 4!

From my childhood I always loved cars but there wasn't game which would be in my interest, until I found out about Need for speed Underground 2... what I liked about that game? Again. Freedom! Idea of being able to freely customize my car to my desires is awesome for me!

Then there is another game I'm still playing... It's a strategy game Europa Universalis! Honestly what attracted me to this game I was able to choose country which I really belong... there wasn't only big nations like GB, France, Russia, Germany and so on... and again I had freedom to choose the future of country I selected.

After those games I was introduced to Morrowind... you get the idea what I liked about that game.

As you can see I play totally different genres of games from strategy to RPG. As long as I can do the way I want I will like the game. I've tried... I think it was call of duty... I didn't like the thing that after I land on Vietnam there was setede path I needed to go and I couldn't go trough bush to attack from other side! I deleted instantly!

So please don't throw me in the same basket with others because I play also other games than Elder scrolls.

EDIT: It didn't sound as I thought. I meant... don't judge people by what they play.

Snowman

A lot of the people here are way older then me, but we all have the same sense of Skyrim humor.

chelz0r

You think wrong:).

I play FIFA 12 and some FPS (not the COD franchise), but also like RPGs. My favourite game ever is Fallout 3. What do you think characterises "FPS, Sports or GTA type gamers"?

OK I didn't explain that well. Don't take it so personally :) As I said, I played plenty of those games myself. GTA is a fun open world game too.

Regardless of genre, by those gamers I meant one of two things or both:

1) gets very excited at living out all sorts of anti-social fantasies, whether it's 'just to see what it looks like hehe it's not real' or release of pent-up anger or frustration in real life neither reason is mature, or particularly healthy for that matter.

2) has a brief attention span, can't stand anything but constant action. all games balance between the use of reflexes and the use of mind. this guy is all about the reflexes.

This type of gamer is not going to put in hundreds of hours into Skyrim I don't think. So he'll never make it to this forum either. Thus there won't be as much confrontation here as you'd expect on a video game forum, to get back on to topic.

redrkt

Premium Member
man oh man, what a bunch of youngsters here LOL. I started on PONG when my parents bought it for me and my brothers in 1973, AND I still have it AND it still works. Played the heck outta Zelda when it came out. But my main genre is racing (and the GT series is the main reason I bought a PSone back in 98) Currently I have pretty much every racing game out (for both consoles) and currently belong to an online racing league that sent 5 of it's members to the GT Academy finals in Silverstone England from the US GT Academy.

BTW I turned 53 last month

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
Yes, I think the game does attract more mature players. I'm old enough to have started with a ZX Spectrum, but new to RPG games, and never been into board games.

There are still occasional posters who seem to be emotionally/mentally very immature, if not retarded, inevitable in any forum, and especially game forums... but in the whole it's nice and mature here.

I am very happy this forum has an Ignore User function, which I use to great success!

Lee

Rasta-For-I
OK I didn't explain that well. Don't take it so personally :) As I said, I played plenty of those games myself. GTA is a fun open world game too.

Regardless of genre, by those gamers I meant one of two things or both:

1) gets very excited at living out all sorts of anti-social fantasies, whether it's 'just to see what it looks like hehe it's not real' or release of pent-up anger or frustration in real life neither reason is mature, or particularly healthy for that matter.

2) has a brief attention span, can't stand anything but constant action. all games balance between the use of reflexes and the use of mind. this guy is all about the reflexes.

This type of gamer is not going to put in hundreds of hours into Skyrim I don't think. So he'll never make it to this forum either. Thus there won't be as much confrontation here as you'd expect on a video game forum, to get back on to topic.

Haha, I'm not taking it personally and didn't feel insulted in anyway because I think what you're saying is based on a feeble stereotype to be honest.

I know there are people who play COD who find a game like Skyrim too tranquil and cerebral, but I know people who play both ( and they don't fall into stereotype 1 or 2 cited above). My friend who plays COD has put over 200 hours into his Skyrim game.

Anyway, we have gone off topic.

chelz0r

That wasn't to say everyone who doesn't play Skyrim falls into those two stereotypes. That would be quite a sweeping statement :)

Maxlength

I am a keen racing driver game lover...never played such a game as Skyrim, wasn't even sure of it when I first started playing it.

I started way back in the day with the ZX48!

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
I must say there are times I REALLY miss a rocket launcher and Auto-Aim in Skyrim!

I've just FINALLY reached a level (after 2 months of hard dyin') where I can rush into a dungeon dispatching Draugrs with one-hit kills and it is a lot of fun...

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts