• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Hard to Believe

One of the most humblest of Bretons
I've made a few posts about my strategies for playing on this difficulty, and I need to rectify a very big mistake that i've been making.

I am quitting on my most recent character. He made it to level 21, and on the way up to high hrathgar for the graybeards quest i encountered a snow bear. I was quite incapable of defeating him, leading me to believe that my strategy of leveling up as much as i like is flawed. I am not even making progress on base level enemies, who are easy to defeat but still keeping pace with my character.

I will try a new character, one who will eliminate as many skills as possible for progression.

I will list the skills I will still use and also list those that I shall no longer use.
Offensive: One handed, archery, conjuration, enchantment
Offensive eliminated: Destruction, sneak
Defensive: Restoration
Defensive eliminated: heavy armor, armorer, block, alteration
Misc: Speech, lockpick (limited), alchemy (limited)
Total skills considered: 14 skills kept: 8 skills eliminated: 6

I want a character that can go the distance, one that will succeed where my dozen others have failed. Although it is frustrating to see a character I spent countless hours on fail so early in the game, I feel as though it was necessary to learn about how the world changes as one levels up. I believe the enemy types change based on level (as opposed to a pre-rendered, invariable world) (ex. necromage adept vs. necromage apprentice), and the levels of all creeps improve as the dragonborn's does. Minimize leveling, keep fighting.

Thanks if you read, hope it helps if you need it. Master is my favorite.

wrighty

Thalmor 3rd Emissary
I don't find master to be that much different, the AI is the same you've just got to dodge and hit more. No matter the difficulty a snow bear will always cause trouble for assassins or mages, just on master it will require more kiting.

Andre2807

I read this, but I don't really understand where you are going with this? Confused.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Master is quite simple once you understand the dance of death, while you can't stand there and swing like someone would on novice, you must dance around. I find bears easy since they will jump forward and you side step them, hacking and slashing much like those people do with a charging bull.

Every fight when using melee becomes a dance, you move around.

Hard to Believe

Master is quite simple once you understand the dance of death, while you can't stand there and swing like someone would on novice, you must dance around. I find bears easy since they will jump forward and you side step them, hacking and slashing much like those people do with a charging bull.

Every fight when using melee becomes a dance, you move around.

Reminds me of Goldeneye strategy. I agree, mixed in with conjurations to get them looking the wrong way, that's why i eliminated all of the armor and block. Enchanted dual wielding one handed in the back.

Thanks for replies all.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Reminds me of Goldeneye strategy. I agree, mixed in with conjurations to get them looking the wrong way, that's why i eliminated all of the armor and block. Enchanted dual wielding one handed in the back.

Thanks for replies all.

Yeah something I learned from many games on the highest difficulty, stop moving and you die.

I've made a few posts about my strategies for playing on this difficulty, and I need to rectify a very big mistake that i've been making.

I am quitting on my most recent character. He made it to level 21, and on the way up to high hrathgar for the graybeards quest i encountered a snow bear. I was quite incapable of defeating him, leading me to believe that my strategy of leveling up as much as i like is flawed. I am not even making progress on base level enemies, who are easy to defeat but still keeping pace with my character.

I will try a new character, one who will eliminate as many skills as possible for progression.

I will list the skills I will still use and also list those that I shall no longer use.
Offensive: One handed, archery, conjuration, enchantment
Offensive eliminated: Destruction, sneak
Defensive: Restoration
Defensive eliminated: heavy armor, armorer, block, alteration
Misc: Speech, lockpick (limited), alchemy (limited)
Total skills considered: 14 skills kept: 8 skills eliminated: 6

I want a character that can go the distance, one that will succeed where my dozen others have failed. Although it is frustrating to see a character I spent countless hours on fail so early in the game, I feel as though it was necessary to learn about how the world changes as one levels up. I believe the enemy types change based on level (as opposed to a pre-rendered, invariable world) (ex. necromage adept vs. necromage apprentice), and the levels of all creeps improve as the dragonborn's does. Minimize leveling, keep fighting.

Thanks if you read, hope it helps if you need it. Master is my favorite.
1Handed, and no Armor is a mistake. Either you'll be out of reach, or killed before you close, and do enough damage. Even with Restoration, Wards don't do anything against arrows, and very little against physical blows. You can cast Healing in the off-hand, but that won't prevent you from geting killed instantly by some of the harder hits, or outdamaged close up once your Magicka runs out.

I'd add Block.

Twiffle

^^ agree, block is good, and it can be used offensive as well as defensive, , id drop enchanting till mid 20's level, all the misc are not wanted either, lockpick is a waste of perks, alchemy not needed unless its a major part of the build, and speech doesnt do much, apart from investor but wasting 4 perks to get, could be used better elsewhere. and why oh why you have eliminated heavy armor, or light even, , totally confused me that, like going into battle wearing sandales. IMHO

Hard to Believe

^^ agree, block is good, and it can be used offensive as well as defensive, , id drop enchanting till mid 20's level, all the misc are not wanted either, lockpick is a waste of perks, alchemy not needed unless its a major part of the build, and speech doesnt do much, apart from investor but wasting 4 perks to get, could be used better elsewhere. and why oh why you have eliminated heavy armor, or light even, , totally confused me that, like going into battle wearing sandales. IMHO

everything focuses on the conjuration. if you get hit by a bear or sabre cat you die anyway

everything focuses on the conjuration. if you get hit by a bear or sabre cat you die anyway
If he stacks up enough Health, and relies on Bound sword up to Adept, he can cast Bound with thenough toughness to survive a Sabercat attack, if he gets his shield up quick. After that, keep it stunned, if a skeever comes by, you might lose, but it's doable. Go for the Bound Bow/Targe of the Blooded combo, then Spellbreaker, if you see them coming, you can deal with them. Balsy going unarmored on Master, but possible. I said Block because it's the most protection for the least perks possible, even everything but Disarming Bash is only 10, and just the Bash option really helps you push through.

I like it, a lot. Crafting only if you have to, honestly. The way you got it set up, you're better off with Smithing than Enchanting, because you can get more power, faster, and won't be wearing the Armor to hook up. You can go Light (heavy Shield) for Linwe's Hood, and the Gauntlets of the Old Gods to spice up even the Bound Bow, but by then, you should have something better, and save it for your Summons. Get a good complimentary Follower, I'd say Eola to add another summon/body to the fight.

Hard to Believe

If he stacks up enough Health, and relies on Bound sword up to Adept, he can cast Bound with thenough toughness to survive a Sabercat attack, if he gets his shield up quick. After that, keep it stunned, if a skeever comes by, you might lose, but it's doable. Go for the Bound Bow/Targe of the Blooded combo, then Spellbreaker, if you see them coming, you can deal with them. Balsy going unarmored on Master, but possible. I said Block because it's the most protection for the least perks possible, even everything but Disarming Bash is only 10, and just the Bash option really helps you push through.

I like it, a lot. Crafting only if you have to, honestly. The way you got it set up, you're better off with Smithing than Enchanting, because you can get more power, faster, and won't be wearing the Armor to hook up. You can go Light (heavy Shield) for Linwe's Hood, and the Gauntlets of the Old Gods to spice up even the Bound Bow, but by then, you should have something better, and save it for your Summons. Get a good complimentary Follower, I'd say Eola to add another summon/body to the fight.

not useable

Twiffle

how the f***f is it off topic ???????????????????????????????????????/

Hard to Believe

you're discussing perks. i was discussing what skills to use at all, which results in skill leveling and player leveling. the strategy is to eliminate block, armor, and heavy armor, and to have all enemies focus they're attacks on a conjuration. this will result in a lower level and less difficult enemies. enchanting would be kept to a minimum, and adds great attack damage to one handed weapons. creating very useful potions with alchemy does not cause it to raise too many levels. speech is unavoidable to level up. lockpick is unavoidable to level up.

i hope this clarifies why i felt your post was off-topic, and helps you understand what my strategic intentions are.

this will be my last post on this thread, try not to freak out.

you're discussing perks. i was discussing what skills to use at all, which results in skill leveling and player leveling. the strategy is to eliminate block, armor, and heavy armor, and to have all enemies focus they're attacks on a conjuration. this will result in a lower level and less difficult enemies. enchanting would be kept to a minimum, and adds great attack damage to one handed weapons. creating very useful potions with alchemy does not cause it to raise too many levels. speech is unavoidable to level up. lockpick is unavoidable to level up.
Block would give you the greatest defence for the least Perk investment. I don't think you have enough to survive on Master with just Conjuration to tank for you. It's great if they take the bait, but with all the skills you do have, your level won't be low enough to avoid getting killed by a single arrow, and if the catch up, you won't last long with 1 handed. If you find yourself at that point, you can always pick up a shield to compensate.

Smarty

If your bent on using conjuration as a defense, it'd exchange one-handed for illusion, you could use frenzy/calm at the lower levels and invisibility/muffle at higher levels. Depends on your playstyle of course, but I find illusion to be less perk intensive than one handed, especially if you don't use sneak. This allows you to focus more on marksmanship and conjuration. The added bonus of course is you don't have to get close, which in turns means you take less damage.