Male or female characters?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Male or female character?

• Total voters

Torok

At first I was playing as females, but then I took more of an interest in playing as males.

Xivia4

I'll make a male one of these days but for now all of my characters are female. It's rare for me to pick a male character in any game, from Sims to Mass Effect to Skyrim.

I segregate by a lot of build specific factors. Race determines whether both genders are the same height, or there's a difference. (Female Bretons are among the most petite, but Men are average height.) Wardrobe is another, especially clothes, and certain (Ahem) breastplates. I love the Mourner's dress, while the male skin for them is less attractive. Ulfric's clotes look like fairly common Noble clothes on a chick (His Armguards look like Fines too.) Also, the Master Robes look like a trenchcoat on a Male (Such as Tolfdir) or mantless asymetric hem dress on females (and matches the hood on a Dragon Priest Mask.)

In short, other than the few races that have a gender discrepency in height, the main difference is the outfit.

I tend to play female characters as most have better speed in most games.
I like the changes in attitude of citizens in Skyrim depending on your sex.

I tend to play female characters as most have better speed in most games.
Alas, in Skyrim speed is directly proportionate to height, so whenever there's a difference, men/rs are faster. (Except Bozmero, who are actually slightly shorter than Bozmera.)

Clau

The Fateless One
For my part, I just can't RP a male in Skyrim! I tried with my recent Nord mercenary, but I ended up just wanting to fight and fight some more. My experience lacked character and traits from what I envisioned as a lonely mercenary trying to make a living with the only way he knows, and that is by the sword.

For female, I have no problem RPing. I find myself investing emotionally, thus being able to immerse myself with their tale.

theoperation

Hero of Jorvasskr
I voted female but I also don't mind playing male. I prefer female if there is a choice because in most games (well most games I play) the main character is usually a male tough guy, and it's good to have a change!

Howarthee

Qa'Darri - The unknown thief
I mainly play as a male, I can't get away from it....I just think they look better than the females.

LiL KiNG

I like to play in 3rd person a lot and figure if I'm gonna be staring at someone's butt running around for hours on end, I'd rather it be a females... Also, I love the vampire armor [skin] for females. May not be the best AC but you can enchant it anyway you want and it looks great.

I do wish they had cross-gamed in the naughty nightwear though, or at least made some sort of dress for the diplomatic immunity quest. Fine dress clothes look like crap for the most part.

Like LiL King yes if I'm going to spend hours on end of looking at the backside of a character, I'd rather it be a female backside. Plus, all of the guys look old and dirty in skyrim.

Katastrophe

King of Tales
I find the females to be more aesthetically pleasing, just in terms of proportions as well as how they wear the various armors/clothes in Skyrim. However, I've never been able to RP or really connect with female characters, personally, so I usually just stick with what I know how to be - a dude.

Plus, the few times I've rolled female characters, I almost always go down a mage path. Maybe it's some hidden degree of sexism, but I think a female character with a warhammer is just comical... I expect them to bring it down and then struggle to pick it back up again while the bandits around her simply laugh and tease. Then she vaporizes them with a spell.

Torok

I voted female but I also don't mind playing male. I prefer female if there is a choice because in most games (well most games I play) the main character is usually a male tough guy, and it's good to have a change!

That's why I played as a female like 4 times.

GratuitousViolets

PS3 Addict
In all RPG games, I always use a female character (I'm female in real life). I simply prefer playing female characters and always have in every RPG/MMORPG game I've ever played. Don't get me wrong, I'm not sexist. I don't mind playing male characters (most of the PS3 games I own are based around male characters, like inFamous, Assassin's Creed, The Darkness, Deus Ex, etc).

As Clau mentioned above, it's easier to be emersed in the game when you're invested emotionally in the character, and it's much easier to invest in a character when they're the same sex as you and you can almost see yourself as him/her. Playing these games is all about escapism, and it's easier for me to escape from my very shy withdrawn 'wouldn't say boo to a goose' life by playing a mouthy and self-serving female high elf version of myself. Playing as a male character wouldn't let me invest emotionally in that character, it wouldn't feel like I was connected to him even if I put elements of my personality into him and made him from scratch. It'd feel like a pre-created character I'm just controlling.

I don't know if it's so with Skyrim, but I seem to remember in Oblivion picking male or female characters determined your pre-built abilities like strength, etc. Males seem to have slightly better stats than the females, but even then, I wouldn't compromise and play a male just to have better advantages.

In all RPG games, I always use a female character (I'm female in real life). I simply prefer playing female characters and always have in every RPG/MMORPG game I've ever played. Don't get me wrong, I'm not sexist. I don't mind playing male characters (most of the PS3 games I own are based around male characters, like inFamous, Assassin's Creed, The Darkness, Deus Ex, etc).

As Clau mentioned above, it's easier to be emersed in the game when you're invested emotionally in the character, and it's much easier to invest in a character when they're the same sex as you and you can almost see yourself as him/her. Playing these games is all about escapism, and it's easier for me to escape from my very shy withdrawn 'wouldn't say boo to a goose' life by playing a mouthy and self-serving female high elf version of myself. Playing as a male character wouldn't let me invest emotionally in that character, it wouldn't feel like I was connected to him even if I put elements of my personality into him and made him from scratch. It'd feel like a pre-created character I'm just controlling.

I don't know if it's so with Skyrim, but I seem to remember in Oblivion picking male or female characters determined your pre-built abilities like strength, etc. Males seem to have slightly better stats than the females, but even then, I wouldn't compromise and play a male just to have better advantages.

See, I'm kind of like the opposite. I imagine I'm playing through the point of view of a completely different person, like I'm playing an action movie or a comic book. A skyrim version of myself would probably have a few perks in speech, one in sneak, and the bullplops tree fully perked out.

Octavia

~ Ryla <3
It depends on my playstyle mostly. If I'm going a warrior, or an assassin, I'd most likely go male, but I might go female for the assassin, and for mages I'd likely go female.

It mostly depends on what I feel like at the time, but I prefer using a specific gender for certain playstyles.

DovahCap

The one cube to rule them all.
I usually go male, because male armor looks better than female in my opinion, and because It's hard to play the opposite gender for me.

mamali

Male Armor looks better , female only looks good in Dark brotherhood Armor . I played Skyrim 2 times , first as a male and second time as a hot Assassin girl , I like to watch her body all the time ............:)

Unit7

I have never had a problem with connecting emotionally with women or female characters. Of course at the end of the day I also don't see a huge difference between men and women as a whole. Yes there are differences. But I'd wager that they are not as big as some might think.(but with close to 7 billion people on this planet... that's a safe bet.)

I mostly play female characters. I have no problem viewing the world from her eyes. I have no problem connecting emotionally with her. But I agree if you are going to roleplay it's best to choose a gender you can best connect with.

I usually tend to pick female characters.

I could give exuses like this classic...

"If I am going to be staring at the backside/butt of a character all day it might aswell be female.'
(I couldn't resist when I noticed someone said this)

For me this just doesn't work... I mean I am playing in first person after all.

I could also go with another great classic.

"Just about every other game out there has a male for the main character."

This one is partially true in my case. But to say this somewhat makes me feel like I am somehow saying how so much more 'enlightened' I am as a guy. While that may or may not be true. It doesn't quite fit. Because truthfully I really don't notice whether or not a game has a male or female main character. I mean sure I know the MC gender. Although in Portal I wasn't entirely sure right away.

I could also just come out and say:

"Look I am playing as a female because I am just a pervert who likes to play 3D dress up. Deal with it."

While somewhat innaccurate... there is some truth in it.

Of course I could also give the explination that revolves around a more deeper concept of ones gender identity and something about the opposite of the Penis Envy Theory.(ok I made this up. But I recently watched that episode of Big Bang Theory.)

So why do I play as a female character. I think when it comes down to it. It's a bit of everything I just listed.

But not quite. Because when I think about it all of my characters in my writing also tend to feature a Female Main Character. That and in some cases I apparently write like a female.

So in conclusion... and yes I actually just wrote that because let's face it. This is a few paragraphs short of an essay.

So In conclusion,.. I don't know.

Male Armor looks better , female only looks good in Dark brotherhood Armor . I played Skyrim 2 times , first as a male and second time as a hot Assassin girl , I like to watch her body all the time ............:)

I hear a special one-handed controller is in development for the 360 for Skyrim.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts