• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Necromis

I guess if I wanted to play a alchemist I could just sit in town for weeks on end after I got liberated and make potions and the such to sell, then wait two days...etc. However, I was actually planning on a mage, which requires me to actually go out and adventure, thus I need perks in things such as casting reduction and other skills. :D

dbukalski

Just a few hours real time, not weeks then back to exploring. From an RPG purposes think of it as training which any warrior/mage would do before going out into the world

BSE

My only problem with the OP is that he makes no distinctions for crossover classes. He says the mage is overpowered, yet what he describes is actually a battlemage, not a pure mage. Since hes comparing the simple classes of warrior/thief/mage, he should have kept it as such. Its much more difficult to play a mage that isnt wearing power leveled daedric armor.

Mad-God Rigamortis TuDoap

Rogue Extraordinaire
I play now with a Dark Elf Battle Mage which has been built through 4 other characters leading up to this one and he is pretty unstoppable, - One handed, Destruction, Light Armor, Smithing, Sneak, Bow with a few on restoration and enchanting. Pretty Beast character, really depends on how you spend your perks. Any player can be unstoppable with the right perks on.

SkinnedLikeScum

Dragon Slayer
as far as overpowered characters go mage is at the bottom of the list. you killed everything super fast and thought you reached the top of the mountain but you didnt. Without using any cheats, just normal in game abilities(necromage + vampire, all the crafting skills stacked) you can get.

orc with maces who does 940 damage with one mace, dual weild, orc berserk, one handed buff enchantments puts the damage at around 8k damage with one swing at 75% ignore armour. you took the end dragon(forget name) down in 6 hits, I did it in one swing with spare damage.

He had 80-85% magic resist AND magic absorb AND physical resistence
900 life because he had free casting on all schools of magic and unlimited powerattacks/stamina
Had silent running, +80% sneaking

After the melee characters the next strongest ranged character would be with a bow not with magic. Magic is limited in damage by the spells at like 150? per hand. A bow can do 900 damage before sneaking bonuses. A bow can one shot the end dragon with proper sneaking damage mulitipliers.

None of the characters would be less protected than the mage. Last thing Ill say is the half casting cost perks are useless. You dont need half casting when you have 100% reduction to schools

true i wouldn't need those half reductions unless i actually worked from level 1 to 54 as i did :p i wasn't born with all the right perks and my gear so at some point i wasn't as powerful as i am now :) unlike those others with console commands and infinium

SkinnedLikeScum

Dragon Slayer
My only problem with the OP is that he makes no distinctions for crossover classes. He says the mage is overpowered, yet what he describes is actually a battlemage, not a pure mage. Since hes comparing the simple classes of warrior/thief/mage, he should have kept it as such. Its much more difficult to play a mage that isnt wearing power leveled daedric armor.

to me more distinctive i have no perks in heavy armor i just wear it and on top of that i cast in both hands i do not cast in one and swing a weapon with another hence the battle mage

dbukalski

true i wouldn't need those half reductions unless i actually worked from level 1 to 54 as i did :p i wasn't born with all the right perks and my gear so at some point i wasn't as powerful as i am now :) unlike those others with console commands and infinium

just saying, its possible to get through the lower levels without the half perks without using console commands

Necromis

I would personally have to disagree from that assumption, though I am not using any console commands. I found that w/o the half casting perks on a pure mage no weapons no armour, high elf with added magicka, that I was running out of magicka quite often in tight situations and having to either down my last potion, or run around like a mad man till I charged back up. That is using simple spells like sparks, flame ant, and xxxflesh, with Lydia tanking for me.

Now at level 17, with Ant stone, arch-mage robes, and that magus staff guys mask, forget the name, I am not having that bad a time due to 200% magicak regen and the absorption. I like battling dragons, they feed me for thier death. My trouble is actually with some of the higher AOE spells and one shoters. I just don't see chain lightning doing all that muck, nor have I been able to hit a single target with the fireball spell, they simply step to the side when I cast it from a distance. Tell me how you get these AOE to actually do some good.

dbukalski

so your saying that you disagree because from lvl 1-16 you had a harder time without the half perks? In the scope of the game your character is still a baby at lvl 16. All you need is magicka potions problem solved. Carry a crap ton of them.

The master level spells suck because you cant aim with them. Their only good if you find a bunch of enemies standing around and they dont know your there. Then you can unleash the high level spell as an ambush then go into the fight using spells that you can actually aim

Necromis

Well I wouldn't call level 17 a baby as I have never had to be above level 45-47 to beat the game. I would say that those are the first 1/3rd of a character's life and also usually the most deadly as you are building up your powers. Thus is why having those 1/2 cast perks are esential.

John Musselwhite

2 Awesome Gamer Vid.
I don't think mages are the best and I am not saying anything is the best it depends on what you like,want and decide too do.
Having a good character build is a great way of doing well in skyrim.
But that's only my opinion!

dbukalski

ok, the first 1/3 of characters life. If your going for a max power character hence the 100% free casting gear that got us on the no half perks needed. Then surviving 16 levels is not hard. Magicka potions may be inconvenient but they solve the problem.

Or power leveling solves the problem. 20 hrs real time grinding = lvl 81 mostly done at whiterun

Necromis

You know what is funny, the one school of magic I have had the most success with is the one alot of people say is useless, Illusion. I absolutely LOVE casting fury on bandits or forsworn and watching them take each other out. Briarhearts are a great way to eliminate 2-3 other forsworn.

John Musselwhite

2 Awesome Gamer Vid.
But then you don't put any of your other skills up and that makes your guy weak!
But i'm not a tutor!
If you want to play the game like that then do! Go for it!
But don't come back crying to us because your guy is crap!

Necromis

actually there are several skills I have leveled up with this build. 1handed, sneak, archery, illusion, enchanting, and smithing. Sneak in, cast fury, sneak up and slit throat, or sniper kill with bow, sneak to next target, repeat. Take items to town and smith and enchant normally, not power level, to create better weapons and armour, sell excess for money. Thus a concentrated character but not weak. She took out 2 dragons, and 3 durgar at one time. Granted I did use call storm and dragon rend, and sneak killed the durgar with my mystic bow.

John Musselwhite

2 Awesome Gamer Vid.
Lol
actually there are several skills I have leveled up with this build. 1handed, sneak, archery, illusion, enchanting, and smithing. Sneak in, cast fury, sneak up and slit throat, or sniper kill with bow, sneak to next target, repeat. Take items to town and smith and enchant normally, not power level, to create better weapons and armour, sell excess for money. Thus a concentrated character but not weak. She took out 2 dragons, and 3 durgar at one time. Granted I did use call storm and dragon rend, and sneak killed the durgar with my mystic bow.

What sort of useless, condescending reply is that?

He's quite right, illusion magic is very strong. I find it much more powerful right from the start than anything I've tried so far in the destruction school.

With high illusion you get invisibility and quiet casting. Combine this with sneak perks, perhaps some archery, and most importantly conjuration: start by frenzying the mobs and wait for them to start fighting each other, then conjure something nasty to help them all die, then just sit back and take some snipe shots with your mystic bow for fun. This is how my main character is built and she has no need whatsoever for armor as she simply stays unseen and controls everything around her. Dragons were the hardest to deal with for a while but that's where the conjuration and archery save the day.

Necromis

I don't think he was meaning to be condescending, I think he was just laughing at my adventures. Good heartedly.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts