• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Arn Magnus

Hey I wondered if anyone could recommend the best way to take down Mage npcs in the game. I am a pure warrior class and am finding things just about the right difficulty on my new save ( around level 7 playing on expert). However I came up against a Mage who really kicked my ass and I'm worried that I will have the same problem in this new save as I had in a previous one. Basically in my other save I could kill most things with ease except for.. Yep, mages. Before I could close the distance on them I was severely low on health or I was dead.

So is there something I can do to even the odds a little, bearing in mind that I want to remain a pure warrior without having to up my enchanting for increasing resistances etc. Any tips or advice would be helpful.

Cheers

Nick_Tbolt

Hey I wondered if anyone could recommend the best way to take down Mage npcs in the game. I am a pure warrior class and am finding things just about the right difficulty on my new save ( around level 7 playing on expert). However I came up against a Mage who really kicked my ass and I'm worried that I will have the same problem in this new save as I had in a previous one. Basically in my other save I could kill most things with ease except for.. Yep, mages. Before I could close the distance on them I was severely low on health or I was dead.

So is there something I can do to even the odds a little, bearing in mind that I want to remain a pure warrior without having to up my enchanting for increasing resistances etc. Any tips or advice would be helpful.

Cheers
If you use a shield, try to do the shield of solitude quest, it will give you +25% magic resistance

Redguard level 81 - Dual Enchanted Dragonbone Axes - Fully Upgraded Werewolf

EleanorUnicorn

i would suggest using a magic resistance shield (as the guy above me said) and then enchanting (or buying) a weapon with shock damage :) it will deplete their magicka, and afterwards health, leaving them pretty defenseless :) plus, mages are weak as hell against melee combat, a few good hits and they usually die! good luck!

Arn Magnus

If you use a shield, try to do the shield of solitude quest, it will give you +25% magic resistance

Who gives this quest? Thanks I will try this tactic.

Yes I know that mages generally die after a few melée hits but if I'm faced with a couple of them running about the place firing off spells or I've got a enemy warrior with a Mage supporting him then it's difficult to go for the Mage directly and they can do a good job of either weakening me enough that the warrior finishes me off or just kill me outright.

Arn Magnus

It all comes down to whether I can actually get to within striking distance of them.

Also i forgot to mention Is that magic resistance passive or do you actually have to block the spell with the shield?

Streets

The Gentleman Owl
I'd suggest doing the Agent of Mara quest in Riften at the Temple, you don't have to do anything magic-like and your reward is 15% magic resist innate. You should also pick up the Atronach Stone for 50% absorb magic, you don't have to have it active all the time, but if you know you are going into a mage dungeon you should activate it, or perhaps the Lord Stone. And yeah, for shields, you can get Ysgramor's shield for 20% magic resist and 20 health. The Shield of Solitude is a leveled item, so you will get 10% resist through level 17, and up to 30% resist if you pick it up after level 40. Skyrim:Shield of Solitude - UESPWiki

I also highly recommend getting the Spellbreaker shield: Skyrim:Spellbreaker - UESPWiki
It has a ward that automatically goes back up every time you block, and does not require soul gems to recharge.

If you are indeed using a shield, you should aim to get the Elemental Protection perk, for 50% resistances from all three elements.

You can also aim to get a few unique headgear items that have magic resistances on them, the Otar mask, which is a heavy dragon priest mask, has 30% resist all 3 elements, or the Helm of Yngol, which is also a heavy helmet, has 30% resist frost. If you go shopping at the Radiant Ramient in Solitude, most likely the ladies there will have some sort of Resist Magic necklace and/or ring, so start saving your money. And again, you don't have to wear all these things all the time, but keep them handy for when you know you are going into a mage-infested area.

Magic resistance enchanted onto shields is passive, you don't have to block it. With the Elemental Protection perk, you have to have your shield raised for the 50% element resists to kick in. You can also use the shout Whirlwind Sprint to quickly close the distance, especially helpful if you are already slowed by frost magic. Hope it helps!

Arn Magnus

Thank you streets! This is very informative and helpful to me and I expect to be referring back to it for some time until I manage to acquire some of these resistances or items. :D:D

Redguard level 81 - Dual Enchanted Dragonbone Axes - Fully Upgraded Werewolf
A bit off topic, but Nick, use the signature button. You don't have to type your redguards stats all the time.

i K33L n0085

Destroyer Devour Master
Whirlwind Sprint shout might help you close the distance between you and the mage quickly.

Dovahkiin165

True Son of Skyrim

Cheers

I would suggest using magic resistance potions or, what I do, conjure an Atronach to fight the opposition. You should also use a follower, even if they can't manage to kill the mage, they serve as a distraction.

Admiral Snackbar

it's a...well, you know.
All of the [completely accurate] responses which suggest the use of melee weapons remind me of something my buddy told me when I started to play Skyrim. "Wizards are squishy."