Xbox 360 Made a Breton.((Tips Requested))

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

BoundByTheWolfBlood

Defiler of the Dead.
I made a new breton and I really want to make a pure mage any tips or tricks to make it fun/challenging?

Thank You!

AS88

Staff member
It depends on what you've done before, and any skills you want to include/avoid?

Any preference?

Argonianale7

Sheratopia
I'd keep one high level weapon just in case for a start, always a sufficient backup in the case your magicka runs out. Conjuration and Destruction are some the most important skill trees for a pure mage, with Restoration and Alteration being good too.

Some skills are more useful than others.

Nighthiker77

You don't have to use any destruction. Conjuration and illusion are plenty powerful, and use less magica, and are better for sneaking.

AS88

Staff member
You don't have to use any destruction. Conjuration and illusion are plenty powerful, and use less magica, and are better for sneaking.

Fully agree. THIS is a mage (except maybe the sneaking part :p ).

I'd say conjuration and illusion for primary skills and light armor and enchanting for secondary skills, real mages don't use destruction.

Also bretons have a special power that absorbs 50% of magic cast at them, so a breton with the atronach stone has the ability to fully absorb ALL magic cast at them for 60 seconds, plenty of time to eliminate any other mage. A truly powerful ability that in my opinion puts the high elfs, Highborn power to shame.

BoundByTheWolfBlood

Defiler of the Dead.
Thank you <3 all of you

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
A good staff can serve you well when magicka runs low....keep several on hand, give a couple to your follower as well.

Enchant armor with effects that reduce the cost of your spells and increase your magicka. Actual fortify magicka enchantments are more useful than magicka regeneration rate as it is based by percentage, therefore the more magicka you have, the more you get back per second. Also carry a dagger, you don't have to be good at using it just let the enchantments do the work. Paralyze and absorb magicka is a useful one for buying you time and restoring your reserves. Flaming soultrap and fire damage is also a useful enchantment in my opinion. I'd say go light armor instead of alteration, as armor can be enchanted and most robes can't, also, alteration spells need to be cast and armor is constant.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
Conjuration is powerful but not very fun at high levels imo. Plus I like to fight my own battles, watching dremora beat up and insult people was fun for about 10 minutes. I've been having a lot of fun with Destruction/Illusion. I know a lot of people claim that Destruction doesn't scale and I agree to a certain degree but when used with Illusion I'm getting some nice (and funny) results. If you can find a balance with Destruction/Illusion and Shouts, you can really turn a battlefield into a zoo real quick.

Argonianale7

Sheratopia

Yep, but without destruction, the damage you deal will be minimal, and there's plenty of robes that lower the cost of destruction magic.

Nighthiker77

Thralls and atronachs aren't gimped by the difficulty setting, so the higher you set the difficulty, the stronger conjuration gets and the weaker destruction gets. It might not be realistic, but that is the game mechanic.

I prefer bound bow to destruction for ranged offense, so I couldn't say I've ever played a "pure" mage, but i haven't found anything in the game yet that was hard on master with only conjuration and illusion. Destruction is entirely optional.

Adam Warlock

Destruction certainly viable at higher levels at Legendary Difficulty.

Ignite spell (Ahzidal`s Ring of Arcana)
Both Fire augment perks + Intense Flames
Dual-Cast destruction + Impact
Aspect of Terror perk from Illusion(always take last)
Ahzidal MasK(optional)

Without mask , this does 21 damage PER SECOND over 15 seconds.(22 with) totals 315/330 per hit each SINGLE one-hand cast
Very cheap and fast to Dual-Cast from a great distance , you get lots of staggers AND the INCREASED damage stacks !

Burns down Dragr Death Overlords , Falmer Warmongers , Nightmaster Vampires , and even Legendary Dragons (although the ones who breathe fire can be a problem)

requires Dragonborn DLC

Argonianale7

Sheratopia
Minimal??? I've never seen anything stand up to 2 daedra lords.

Early in the game Destruction spells are needed for a mage, you won't be summoning 2 Dremora Lords without being a high level. Also they are only as good as their stats allow, a Ancient Dragon or Mammoth will certainly be a match for them. Conjuration spells take a lot of magicka to use, using a destruction spell as well can make a desired combo.

Early in the game Destruction spells are needed for a mage, you won't be summoning 2 Dremora Lords without being a high level. Also they are only as good as their stats allow, a Ancient Dragon or Mammoth will certainly be a match for them. Conjuration spells take a lot of magicka to use, using a destruction spell as well can make a desired combo.

They are not "needed" they are entirely optional. Early game without destruction may be a bit more challenging but at low levels a Flame Atronach is still a formidable foe which can be bought from Farangar at level1 and can be used effectively at level 3 with the apprentice conjuration perk. Also illusion plus conjuration is a much better combo then destruction and conjuration. In my oppinion at least.

Argonianale7

Sheratopia
They are not "needed" they are entirely optional. Early game without destruction may be a bit more challenging but at low levels a Flame Atronach is still a formidable foe which can be bought from Farangar at level1 and can be used effectively at level 3 with the apprentice conjuration perk. Also illusion plus conjuration is a much better combo then destruction and conjuration. In my opinion at least.

I've tried being an Argonian Mage without destruction and to be honest I found it painful, as that was my only sufficient way of defeating bosses. Conjuration becomes very powerful at master levels but early in the game many of your thralls or atronachs are very weak, and can be killed quickly if physically attacked. If you have a powerful destruction spell, you'l find it significantly easier taking out tedious or tough bosses, being able to finish them off quickly with spells they don't resist, rather than desperately try to escape should my conjuration spells fail.

I've tried being an Argonian Mage without destruction and to be honest I found it painful, as that was my only sufficient way of defeating bosses. Conjuration becomes very powerful at master levels but early in the game many of your thralls or atronachs are very weak, and can be killed quickly if physically attacked. If you have a powerful destruction spell, you'l find it significantly easier taking out tedious or tough bosses, being able to finish them off quickly with spells they don't resist, rather than desperately try to escape should my conjuration spells fail.

I agree that it is difficult, however, that does not mean they are needed. It can be done without them. As well as conjuring allies you may also turn a bosses allies against him with illusion magic and the good thing about conjuration is that once a thrall or atronach are defeated/time out, they can easily be replaced. And there's nothing stopping you from picking up or carrying around an enchanted weapon just in case.