PC Low Framerate in Dungeons

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

arcticbananas

I get great performance outdoors and in most cities and houses, but the minute I enter a dungeon, or any type of cave or hideout, my framerate drops like crazy. Don't ask me what it drops to, I don't know. But it's pretty obvious that it's bad. Now, my computer isn't great, I know. I have to run Skyrim on the lowest settings possible. But, I did a little fiddling around, and outdoors runs pretty well on Medium settings. Once I go into a dungeon, it sucks. I keep it on low settings so when I do enter a cave the game is still mildly playable.
I've noticed it seems to happen more often when there is water in the dungeon, but it doesn't really make sense that this would be the cause of it because outside, water doesn't affect performance at all. Also, sometimes it lags pretty bad in places without water.
I've downloaded a few mods to increase framerate, and I also use GameBooster 3, all of which work great--outside.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.

emti29

we have the same problem bro. i guess the only solution is to upgrade our mediocre PC into super high-end type.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
I play on low settings and don't have specific issues in dungeons unless there is a group of magic casting NPCs. There are options to turn off water reflectivity (I believe that's what it's called... I'll have to switch to my PC to find out for sure) that might help. The ones that help for me are the object distance and item distance sliders. This does get to be a bit of a pain at times because your enemies can occasionally see and shoot at you but you can't see them. In those cases, you can turn up the distance just for that combat situation and turn it back down when you're done. I don't have any of the 3rd party boosters installed so I'm really not sure if they actually help or hinder.

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
There is a problem with your configuration, not your CPU , Normally you'd have lower framerate outside and higher framerate indoors and in dungeons, simply because there is a lot more stuff for the game to load and render outside.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
My game seems to slow down when there are a ton of NPCs engaged in combat. This NPC density is much higher in a dungeon than in the outdoor areas. I think those of us on the older machines have to attack the issues from a multitude of angles to find out how to maximize our own experience.

emti29

There is a problem with your configuration, not your CPU , Normally you'd have lower framerate outside and higher framerate indoors and in dungeons, simply because there is a lot more stuff for the game to load and render outside.

please tell me about your configuration..

arcticbananas

How could I optimize my config for the best performance then?

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts