• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Johnwax

I've kept Lydia as my follower. I am a level 40 Nord and am Archmage of the College. I started working my way up in the Companions and hit a major glitch. In the Proving Honor main quest I was accompanied to Dustman's Cairn by a Companion. I thought Lydia would come too as I've been on a number of dungeon quests where a NPC fought along with Lydia and me. No Lydia at the Cairn and when I returned to Jorrvaskr after the quest, she had disappeared. Using the console lhelp I get Lydia's ID (000A2C8E) and did a placeatme to get her back. The original Lydia showed up - no ebony armor or fancy blade. I rearmored and armed her and started the next Companion main quest -the Silver Hand. This time I told Lydia to wait for me in Jorrvaskr hall. As a preface to the quest (SPOILER) you are initiated into the main circle and become a werewolf. Lydia now tried to kill me and then ran off saying I never should have done that. Again, no Lydia. I can do another placeatme, but this is nonsense. Whats happening here? Is this normal? Am I going to have to give up completing the Companions quests?

The Fallen Hero

Master Assassin; Hybrid
She was a terrible companion anyway. Since you're Arch-Mage, try J'zargo. Also, try either the Dark Brotherhood Initiate(My follower :D), Marcurio(Battlemage) or the beloved Cicero.

Milk Drinker

I'm pretty sure I had Lydia as a follower through much of the Companions quests. Sounds like a glitch.

That being said, Lydia has died on me twice now. One of the weaker followers it seems.

at some points during the companions quest line it may remove your follower and replace them with a companion, I would suggest reloading an earlier save (if it really bothers you) and telling lydia to leave until you've done the quest line (it's easier without a follower most of the time anyway).

treasurehunter

Lol.... Whut?
I kept Lydia until she died. I then reloaded, sent her home, and chose my next house carl.

Johnwax

at some points during the companions quest line it may remove your follower and replace them with a companion, I would suggest reloading an earlier save (if it really bothers you) and telling lydia to leave until you've done the quest line (it's easier without a follower most of the time anyway).
This was interesting. I loaded an earlier save and told Lydia to wait in Breezehome. I then went to do the werewolf thing and when I was outside the Underforge at night, I saw a 'Lydia' hanging around. She was an earlier version with no ebony armor etc. I then went back to Breezehome and told my Lydia to follow me. Back to the Underforge with my Lydia. I went in and completed the ritual to become a werewolf. I ended as a werewolf outside the Underforge and was attacked by 'Lydia'. My Lydia defended and I watched the two of them duke it out. My Lydia won (better armor and weapons). When I went to wipe out the Silver Hand, however, my companion deleted Lydia again. So, I gave up on the Companions. I reloaded an earlier game with my original Lydia and am off adventuring again.

Tryn

Premium Member
I'm curious if anyone tried Zoridium JackL's suggestion of sending Lydia home before doing the initial Companion quests and, if so, did it work? Would she follow you again afterward?

Johnwax

I'm curious if anyone tried Zoridium JackL's suggestion of sending Lydia home before doing the initial Companion quests and, if so, did it work? Would she follow you again afterward?
Actually, I did this. Starting a new character, I did the quests through killing the first dragon and getting Lydia assigned as my housecarl. Met her at the hall door and basically did not tell her to do anything. She then goes to Breezehome and takes a seat in your bedroom. Then did all the Companion quests and became their leader. THEN I went to breezehome and talked to Lydia. Told her to follow me and went off to kill more dragons.

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
Ever notice 99% of the time, when you go check up on Lydia, her fat arse is parked in a chair, eating hi carb bread?

So glad i got the Angelina Jolie follower mod....only trouble is I seldom let her wear a helmet!

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
Nexus has a mod called "Undying Companions" that supposedly prevents your followers from ever dying.

I have it installed, but so far haven't gotten a follower that close to death since installing it. There's also a mod to make horses unkillable as well as one specifically for Shadowmere.

I have them, but again, have been lucky enough to not see if they actually work....yet!

Punz

Dark Lord of Skyrim
Losing Lydia hurts. *sigh* I lost here once. Never seen her again after that. LYDIA!!!

No, in all seriousness, has to be a glitch. Maybe reload a saved game like others have suggested.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Nexus has a mod called "Undying Companions" that supposedly prevents your followers from ever dying.

I have it installed, but so far haven't gotten a follower that close to death since installing it. There's also a mod to make horses unkillable as well as one specifically for Shadowmere.

I have them, but again, have been lucky enough to not see if they actually work....yet!
They should work. A mod like that is easy to make. All it really involves is going into the data for each follower and setting the essential value to 1.

Janus3003

Skyrim Marriage Counselor
Ever notice 99% of the time, when you go check up on Lydia, her fat arse is parked in a chair, eating hi carb bread?
Don't athletes "carb load" or something? Heck, I've heard that some medieval fight masters encouraged students to eat a ton of bread before going to a duel.

Aetherguard

This was interesting. I loaded an earlier save and told Lydia to wait in Breezehome. I then went to do the werewolf thing and when I was outside the Underforge at night, I saw a 'Lydia' hanging around. She was an earlier version with no ebony armor etc. I then went back to Breezehome and told my Lydia to follow me. Back to the Underforge with my Lydia. I went in and completed the ritual to become a werewolf. I ended as a werewolf outside the Underforge and was attacked by 'Lydia'. My Lydia defended and I watched the two of them duke it out. My Lydia won (better armor and weapons). When I went to wipe out the Silver Hand, however, my companion deleted Lydia again. So, I gave up on the Companions. I reloaded an earlier game with my original Lydia and am off adventuring again.

OK. This is the thing. You CAN'T tell them to wait. You HAVE to tell them it's time to part ways and send them packing. Lydia will simply go to Breezehome (or Dragonreach if you have not bought the house) and be available for following again later if you choose to ask her to do so. Just like with Faendal and any other follower. If you tell them to leave your service, they simply go home or wherever it is you found them.

So, don't tell her to wait, she is still following you in that case. Tell her to go away. The Comanions are all followers later so this is why the game is replacement your current companion. It's in the coding. Just have them as follower while you are doing the short questline and then go get Lydia again if you really must have her. Remember, Lydia level caps at max lvl 30.

Happy Hunting... HOWL!!!!!

Easy BR

In my case I started that companions quest and I had Lydia replaced too. After the quest I looked for her at my house at Riften and Whiterun without success. I tried Dragons Reach also and nothing. Then I went to the blades hideout (cos I recomended her to them) and she wasn't there too. Then I put my char to sleep 3 days and went again to the blades hideout. I found her hanging around the back exit to Skyrim at the blades hideout. I hope this helps.

Easy BR

Losing Lydia hurts. *sigh* I lost here once. Never seen her again after that. LYDIA!!!

No, in all seriousness, has to be a glitch. Maybe reload a saved game like others have suggested.

I would recommend to try putting your char to sleep 3 days and then look for her at Dragons Reach, at Blades Hideout and at your houses. Worked for me.

Seeing Lydia without ebony armor may mean nothing. I have noticed that followers often revert to their generic appearance when no longer in your service, but immediately regain the armor yyou gave them if you ask them to follow you again.

Chadonraz

It would be great if that quest (and all the others where someone replaces your follower) had a forewarning somewhere.

When I started "Proving Honor" for the first time, I had Kharjo as my follower. It was totally awesome to look for him again after finishing the quest. Not.

Temporary followers are perfectly okay
(unless their name is Mercer Frey)
, but it'd be nice to know beforehand...

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts