• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

nogz

Hi guys. I'm new to the elder scroll games. I started playing Skyrim and I fell in love with it immediately. I'm playing it for the third time now and there are a couple of lore questions I would love to find out the answers to.

Ok, the first question is which countries in the world of the game are part of the Empire? There are world maps on google but I can't seem to find one that outlines the Empire.

Second, what is the Dominion and how does it fit into the world of the elder scrolls games? Are the Dominion part of the Empire or are they another empire? And which countries are in the Dominon?

And third, what are the Thalmor agents? I know they are kinda of Gestapo elves chasing people in Skyrim who still worship Talos but I don't know why? Are they part of the Empire or the Dominion? And if the latter why are they interfering in the going ons in the Empire?

Thanks a lot to whoever helps me out with this questions. ;-)

Xanax

What we generally refer to as "the empire", is actually the Third Empire in the history of Tamriel. It was founded by Tiber Septim, also known as Talos and covered the entirety of the continent. The games prior to Oblivion took place in the various provinces of the Empire, with Oblivion set in the Imperial province of Cyrodil.

Skyrim takes place after a war with the Aldmeri Dominion, and the empire is fractured. The Dominion was an empire of High Elves long ago, and this new Dominion has borrowed their name as they fight to put Tamriel back in the hands of Elves instead of Humans. The Thalmor are part of the Dominion, and basically serve to annoy anyone who isnt an Elf and of the same mindset.

The reason that the Dominion hates the idea of Talos so much is because he was a human, a Nord specifically. The elves are basically the progenitor race, the firstborn, and everyone supposedly descended from them (or so they believe). Since they are technically the closest to the gods original creations, or made in the reflection of the gods or whatever, then only they would be perfect enough to become divine. Talos is a human, so big problems between the two.

P.S. Any world map your looking at is likely just a map of Tamriel, the continent the game takes place on. The 3rd Empire of Tiber Septim controlled the entire continent, and those are the different provinces, mostly divided by race

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
Excellent post by Xanax. That is just the current events for TES game though. If you want to know more about TES universe like how Nirn(the planet) was created, who are the daedric princes, what are the nine divines, etc then I recommend you check out this site

there's a lot to read there so you might want to start from here, which organizes the material for you.

nogz

Thank you guys, that's what I was looking for. Now things are a bit more clear. I'm also reading the info in the links right now. Thanks again. Btw quick question - so who won in the war between the Dominion and the Empire? Or they sign a peace treaty and part of it was to let the Thalmor agents in the Empire??

Xanax

The war ended with the signing of the White-Gold Concordat, which effectively outlawed Talos worship in the Empire, dismantled the Blades, and signed over areas in the south to the Dominion. Prior to that, the dominion had actually sacked the Imperial City, and maintained control there for a year or so. I suppose you technically can't say that there was a winner, but if what's going on with the Stormcloaks in Skyrim is any indication, things all around aren't looking good for the empire.

EDIT: Was just running around in Whiterun, and I decided to stop and talk to the crazy guy shouting in the square about Talos. He actually has a few interesting things to say about the state of the empire and how some of the people in Skyrim are beginning to feel. I suggest you take a moment to hear him out next time your there.

nogz

Thanks again. I'm gonna check this guy in Whiterun too. The first time I was playing Khajiit as an assassin and he was far too annoying to listen to so one quiet night I slit his throat. :D

Orc Von Ogre

I actually made a post a little while ago asking what side of the civil war my Orc "should" be on. I'm also not entirely clear on all the lore and everything here has been helpful. Kudos

Ebony Knight

Lore Sword
First of all Xanax I'm loving all this (accurate) lore you're throwing around. It's really inspiring to be reminded that there are others out there that enjoy the world that Bethesda has created for us. Secondly I think the whole "master race" theory you have on the Altmer is interesting, how they think they are closest to the master race than humans.

By that theory the Dark elves would also be on a very close run for "closest to original" since they are also technically a direct line to the Chimer. Although it could easily be played off that they are "tainted". In reality all of the humanoids of Nirn are descendant from one race, the Ehlnofey who "are the ancestors of Mer and Men" (A Children's Anuad).

I'm not trying to prove you wrong by any means, in fact I support your theory and (if you don't mind) use it to support my own that the High Elves are complete ASS HOLES in every way lol. I guess what I'm trying to say for everyone's benefit is no matter your elegance in the Skyrim revolt....Aldmeri Dominion are the real antagonists.

nogz

Isn't the dark elves refugees in Skyrim? The dark elves in Windhelm are all talking about their home being destroyed or something. Don't know if it was because of the Oblivion crisis or the great war.

Gandalf The Boss

Pupil of Nienna. Defender of Middle Earth
I just want to put in for those who don't know that Tiber Septim was also a Dragonborn. :)

Onyx

If you want to find out more the following in-game books help shed some like on the Aldmeri Dominion War (as I have played previous titles and I was like who the F*** are these nob heads)

- The Great War (Overview of the Imperial vs Aldmeri War)
- A Rising Threat V1 - ? (First hand account of the rise of the Aldmeri Dominion onto the war with the empire).

There are also lots of other books that provide additional backgroud details on the various factions (and some are in contradiction to each other :D) as well as even some enemies you can fight etc. Lots of info in the ingame books if reading them is your thing.

Ebony Knight

Lore Sword
Isn't the dark elves refugees in Skyrim? The dark elves in Windhelm are all talking about their home being destroyed or something. Don't know if it was because of the Oblivion crisis or the great war.
The dark elves home Morrowind was destroyed shortly after the Oblivion crisis. The Volcano at the center mass of the province "Red Mountain" erupted and destroyed the surrounding landscape, forcing what few dunmer were left to flee. Therefore yes you are correct the dark elves are for all intents and purposes refugees.

Onyx

The dark elves home Morrowind was destroyed shortly after the Oblivion crisis. The Volcano at the center mass of the province "Red Mountain" erupted and destroyed the surrounding landscape, forcing what few dunmer were left to flee. Therefore yes you are correct the dark elves are for all intents and purposes refugees.
I also think after the explosion Morrowind was invaded by the Argonians (revenge for slavery?) and the Dunmer where defeated as they where in a much weakened state.

Ebony Knight

Lore Sword
I also think after the explosion Morrowind was invaded by the Argonians (revenge for slavery?) and the Dunmer where defeated as they where in a much weakened state.
You could definitely be right and I just haven't seen anything on it yet. Where do you think you heard this so I can get it in full detail? I don't like to give others false lore information.

Onyx

There is also further information when searching under Vivec and other important characters associated with Morrowind

Onyx

No probs, wiki's are bookmarked now while I am at work trying to stave of Skyrim Fever :D

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts