Looking for some advice on roleplaying a Breton..(info inside)

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Sinistar

Any insight from those that would be interested in this sort of thing would be greatly appreciated. Apologies if this is the last thing you'd ever care about :)

K, so, this is the general idea. I came up with it in all of 30 minutes so it's not very polished and is soon to be more fleshed out and detailed, but I love the idea..just not sure how plausible.

Name: Marcus Black
Race: Breton of High Rock
Class: Vanquisher/Wanderer
Appearance: Rather tall for a Breton, he always felt out of place amongst his smaller, less physically imposing kin. As a result of this he never spent much time studying magic and was more interested in learning the art of swordplay. He is slim, but strong with a seemingly melancholiac demeanor, though his mind is anything but unfocused and his combat ferocity nothing less than impressive when ignited.
Personality: Quite pessimistic but not at all an evil man. Capable of great bravery and affection but rarely shows it. An opportunistic survivor above all else now. Won't hurt or kill people for amusement.
Background Information: The last remaining member of a royal family from High Rock that was stripped of it's nobility and dissolved into nothing. Exiled from his homeland of High Rock after tauntingly being given the choice to fight the leader of his conquerors or flee, when issued the challenge of trial by combat he uttered the words "I have nothing left to fight for.." and was never seen in High Rock again,

Tag Skills: 2h sword, crossbow, heavy armor, block.

Notes:
- Was able to escape High Rock with a sack of gold pieces and the ancestral blade of his Family's house "Spellfire"
- Fled High Rock and is now looking for a place in the world, some small part of him burns to avenge his family and reclaim their land, but he buries the notion, aware of the absurdity since he has no true allies or power, save for himself and the steel on his back.
- Traveled throughout Tamriel, serving in local militias and carrying out small tasks for a living. During this time he spent his days in the employment of the common folk, hunting low-life criminals and escaped prisoners with the blade of his House, constantly reminded of the unworthy business he was carrying out with a blade of such royal status, as such he is humbled several times.
- While living in a very small apartment on a forgotten street in the Imperial City of Cyrodiil he learns of the Stormcloak Rebellion. (why this is motivation is my main problem, I'm hoping to tie something in with who deposed his family back in High Rock)
- Lost everything, including Spellfire and all but the clothing on his back when he was captured by Imperial Soldiers and falsely accused of being associated with the batallion of ambushed Stormcloaks that were marching nearby his camp.
- Escaped custody of the Empire and beheading, seeking a way to prove his innocence as he is now considered a fugitive. Considering joining the Imperials and fighting in the Civil War to gain favor, but is wary of showing his face in any major holds as it'll most likely result in his immediate beheading.
- Looking for his family's sword to regain some small honor. Figures it's in the Imperial Capital.

Now, this is where I'm stumped. I tried to read as much as I can on the Bretons to get a sense of what my pre-dispositions to the races of Tamriel would be. I'm having the most trouble with figuring out who would be responsible for over-throwing my characters family and taking their dynasty's valuables. One half of my wants it to be a politcal coup orchestrated by another Breton family, and another part wants it to be a raiding party of Nords that had been watching the family's keep for some time and sacks it in the night, their leader challenging the last-surviving 15-year-old boy of the house to a duel to the death, which he declines and flees from.

Also, why I'd be heading to Skyrim is another part that I'm having trouble with. At first I wanted it to be a situation where the Skyrim Civil War would be an opportunity for my character to weaken Nordic position and set up the cards for re-taking his family seat. It's very tough figuring out a reason for me why a Breton would be traveling to Skyrim.

Edit: I plan on joining the Dawnguard with him eventually and making that his true calling, perhaps after I fight in the Civil War though. The problem is I don't see the Bretons loving the Empire too much or caring for the Stormcloaks. I also don't want my character to have anything to do with the Forsworn (since they all come for your head anyway when they see you, save for 1 camp)

Sinistar

I just had a big derp moment. Why not the Thalmor? Would it be possible for them to install a new family of power in High Rock?

Streets

The Gentleman Owl
That's a good / interesting story there. I think you can go with the Thalmor, they could hypothetically place a family of power. You might also get better responses in the Roleplaying forum if you want to cross-post this, at least for the story development aspect.

High Rock and Skyrim share a border, so you can say he already lived on the edge of High Rock / Skyrim and when he left his home, he knew no one would look for him in Skyrim?

Sinistar

Thanks! And I'll try it there, I had just assumed that the RP forum was for people actually role-playing in character on the forum. I'll lurk a bit perhaps.

I'm thinking of having him notice the impact by the Thalmor all around him, not just his own family affected and so he'll head to Skyrim in hopes of actually making a difference and weakening Thalmor position. BTW his surname isn't Black, he actually has a Breton name but he drops it in favor of a new, anonymous identity.

Sinistar

I guess this is my biggest problem with any characters I come up with. I enjoy the process of creating them but then I'm not too sure on what to do to fill up the playing time. While there's a ton of freedom in the game to do what I want I can never just fine the right niche of quests or gameplay for them to fit into.

A nice motivation could be a wish to escape a bandit crime lord, who has been watching you kill his peons. Like from when you were hunting down criminals. For later, establish what this sword looked like. You may just find it within a bandit lair within said crimelord's little empire.