Looking for a few character tips.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
I am looking to play Skyrim with a new character. I have always played TES games as a Nord or Imperial straight up bruiser. I have never concentrated on magic, alchemy or enchanting. I have always concentrated on smithing. My characters have either been dual wield or shield and sword. I want to experience other types of characters.

I am just looking for some suggestions for spell sword type player or someone more magic based. Not sure I can do a pure Mage as that's a hard style for me to wrap my mind around. I have just started a new Dark Elf character. I'm not looking for a specific build but more for tips on a general direction. I can build from there.

Thanks for any input

Use a mix of conjuration and destruction, coupled with light armor and one-handed. Start off with conjuring an atronach and using destruction at a distance, and then switch to either dual swords, or use some block when people get in close. Also, cloak spells are good, because it constantly works on an enemies health even when they are blocking you or manuvering or whatever.

Neriad13

Premium Member
If you're wearing armor instead of robes, you've definitely got to take up enchanting. Pre-enchanted armor with good magicka regen, I've found, is fairly hard to come by if you don't make it yourself.

Penguin Born

Vampire Lord
I am looking to play Skyrim with a new character. I have always played TES games as a Nord or Imperial straight up bruiser. I have never concentrated on magic, alchemy or enchanting. I have always concentrated on smithing. My characters have either been dual wield or shield and sword. I want to experience other types of characters.

I am just looking for some suggestions for spell sword type player or someone more magic based. Not sure I can do a pure Mage as that's a hard style for me to wrap my mind around. I have just started a new Dark Elf character. I'm not looking for a specific build but more for tips on a general direction. I can build from there.

Thanks for any input
The Breton class, is pretty good with magic but can be used for a Mage-Warrior type class if you're looking for that kind of build. If my suggestion didn't help I'm sorry. Good luck with your character class!

Chillrend

Falkreath Land Owner
I have a similar build to what you're looking for and it actually started out as a Nord Warrior so it's not really difficult! (Unless your pretty far into the game which perk upgrades become a little bit hard to come by)

Here are a few tips I would follow:

-If you're not going to go with a full mage character I would highly suggest finding a strong sword from the start.
-I would then get a pretty powerful Destruction spell in the other hand, or even a Restoration spell when it comes to desperate times!
-I would wear a mix of the Archmage's robes and some gauntlets or boots. (I currently have the Thalmor ones). I would then enchant the armor to make you even more powerful whether it is Magicka regen, or even more health!
-Enchanting will play a huge key and will become your best friend later on!

I hope this helped you, and maybe you can learn from my mistakes!

IllusionaryDream

Sweetroll Thief
I would do something like: Two Handed for Melee Damage, abd for magic I would focus mainly on conjuration, destruction, and alteration. Light Armor, maybe a few perks in smithing, but definately fill up enchanting. M put some in sneak, and some in restoration just so youre not stuck with low level spells.. just a few quick ideas you can mix n match with.

IllusionaryDream

Sweetroll Thief
I would do something like: Two Handed for Melee Damage, abd for magic I would focus mainly on conjuration, destruction, and alteration. Light Armor, maybe a few perks in smithing, but definately fill up enchanting. M put some in sneak, and some in restoration just so youre not stuck with low level spells.. just a few quick ideas you can mix n match with.

lonewolf

Try using a strong one handed sword and use either destruction or resto in the other. The destruction gives you the ability to do ranged attacks while still being able to defend yourself in close quaters. Restoration essentially obsoletes health potions in most cases plus it helps alot against the undead as well.
Hope that helps

ShadowGambit

Ever try to go with a sneaky type? They are fun when you know how to play with.

With some spell casting (illusion/conjuration) you will be more of a Nightblade, not much of a Spell Sword anymore.

IllusionaryDream

Sweetroll Thief
Ever try to go with a sneaky type? They are fun when you know how to play with.

With some spell casting (illusion/conjuration) you will be more of a Nightblade, not much of a Spell Sword anymore.

Agreed. I would focus more on Illusion than conjuration on a sneak build though. Conjuration would definately be good for distractions or a quick get away.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts