Spoiler Lich in Skyrim. *minor spoilers for new players*

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat
I was pleased enough with the necromage perk's effects when combined with vampirisim. Now, it's not to say that -only- a mage can have the necromage perk, but it is pretty deep in the restoration school tree (70 skill in restoration to get it.) for a casual practitioner of the arcane arts.

As for a Litch form, or a Litch Lord..I don't know. More is better, and that would definitely be more? So I guess it's a good idea.

I'm not too sure how it works in The Elder Scrolls, but in most mythologies becoming a Litch is a fairly complex process. It should involve rituals that could only be performed by a truly gifted (and wicked) mage, and would require more than one person (since for a time -you'll- be technically dead). Maybe have a quest in preparation of that ritual? Gathering complex and rare components that require mastery of all schools of magic to obtain. Then scour the land, recruiting magically inclined followers to act as your acolytes to assist you in your transformation.

Being a litch is fairly permanent! It's not something you can shift into and out of, nor is it something you can "cure". It's simply something you are. They shouldn't transform like a werewolf or vampire Lord.

Instead, give the Litch an illusionary form. Let them pretend to be their former selves; A shimmering, slightly translucent form that resembles closely the person they once were at the moment of their ascension into litch-hood. If the Litch's health drops below a certain level, their mana is depleted, or their concentration is somehow broken, the illusion is shattered and you see their true and terrible form.

Of course, they could just always stay in their true form and go about frightening the heck out of everyone if they so choose.
I chose the form due to the lack of ways that one could make a the transformation not interfere with NPC interaction all the time. Another idea I had was to have NPC hostile in the later stages like vampirism. Also the incomplete lich in Oblivion had done everything himself without assistance.

mushroomlord

I don't think being a lich should always be active

You are handed a letter by an npc "shady courier" after your conjuration reaches level 40. he just gives you the note and departs without a word. The letter reads "I know you have been dabbling in the art of conjuration. If you want to see what it can truly do come to black water falls." When you go there you meet a master necromancer (I can't think of name) who tells you about a spell that will enchant the Mask of the Dead. First you have enter a buried nord city (after killing some frostbite spiders in a cave to get there) and find the hall of the dead and kill a lich to get a lich soul gem After you fight though a buried nord city that is drouger infested, you reach the city's hall of the dead. You fight a Lich who reanimates all the dead bodies around the hall of the dead to help kill you. After you kill him you have to loot the lich soul gem and begin the next part of the quest.

Next, you have to go to Falion in morthal to convince or threaten him to help you enchant the mask. He then tells you that you would need a lich soul gem to even enchant something like that. After you show him the soul gem, he follows you to the stone circle outside morthal where the master necromancer is waiting with a few other unnamed necromancers begin the ritual. After they finish, Falion runs off to tell the guards about the scheme and the master necromancer takes the mask and uses it's power. Then you have to kill the lich and the necromancers. The guards come to help you after you kill one of the necromancers.

Now that you have defeated the master necromancer, Falion tells you it would be better if you both just forget this ever happened. Loot the lich's body for the mask of the dead and now when you use it you get the transformation power of the lich.

So you aren't a true lich but can transform into one with the mask. You like my story?

zane

You guys have great ideas, but you're not really thinking about the game mechanics.

A lich transformation would be needed, have a quest line that splits the player's soul into two parts, one partly living, one partly dead.

this will allow the "living" side to look less human (like make him look a bit boney, bags, eyes are probably black and lifeless, make them kind of pale - but not vampire pale). and when they transform into a lich, make them partly fleshy, more so than the normal lich.

I would give it skills similar to the vamp lord, but instead base it on soul stealing, take away health regen, allow it to have lich staves.

give it perks where the upper level ones will give you spells that drain your health when cast for a powerful effect.

Clevdawg15

Instead, give the Litch an illusionary form. Let them pretend to be their former selves; A shimmering, slightly translucent form that resembles closely the person they once were at the moment of their ascension into litch-hood. If the Litch's health drops below a certain level, their mana is depleted, or their concentration is somehow broken, the illusion is shattered and you see their true and terrible form.

Of course, they could just always stay in their true form and go about frightening the heck out of everyone if they so choose.

That seems like a fair ability but maybe make an exception where any mage would be able to see through your form.

As for abilities, I would like to join some sort of necromancer group, maybe an opponent to the college of winterhold, and have it act as any guild would and your prize for completing the questline would be lich-dom and the "guild" would be under your command. I liked squirrel-killer's idea about souls to be able to give you power, kind of like feeding. Also, i think any soul you take, makes you more powerful but makes weak .the illusion that makes you appear normal

Haru17

Lost Falmer
Well now mages have Vampire Lord,

This. Vampires are for both illusion thieves / nightblades and mages. The vampire lord form casts spells and raises the dead, how can you want another lich? It would just be repetitive, that being said a spriggan form would be cool... *goes to write a thread*...

zane

Well I wouldn't call VL pro mage, It doesn't have things like major fireballs, ice whirlwinds, and giant trials of lightning :D lol.

Haru17

Lost Falmer
Well I wouldn't call VL pro mage, It doesn't have things like major fireballs, ice whirlwinds, and giant trials of lightning :D lol.

They use ice, conjuration (they even have a dead thrall!), and illusion spells. Are these not schools of magic now?

zane

last time i checked, while in VL form, there's no ice spell ._.
and you overlooked "pro mage" as it doesn't focus on all forms of the schools, nor does it focus on the actual "wizard" or "mage" aspect. it caters to a vampire's skill set.

Haru17

Lost Falmer
last time i checked, while in VL form, there's no ice spell ._.
and you overlooked "pro mage" as it doesn't focus on all forms of the schools, nor does it focus on the actual "wizard" or "mage" aspect. it caters to a vampire's skill set.

Well, yeah, it's called the vampire lord and not the mage lord. This is similar to how werewolves grow claws and not sword fingers. And yes I was wrong about the ice spell, but they still have their drain spell, which, while being unmistakably vampire, is still a destruction spell. Also, werewolves don't block. My point: you can't have a form being exactly 100% like that class or you don't have a special, unique form, you just have a normal person, playing that class.

zane

right, so is it to much to ask that someone who is playing a style of pure mage, who wants a form to boosts and fit their style of destruction magic? or at least isn't it reasonable for one to want it lol?

Sneaky Khajiit

Great idea! I think that if there was a Lich questline, a 'summon flying broomstick' spell should be a default spell- and female Lich characters would cackle as they cast spells. A Lich school, kinda like the college of winterhold, would also be a neat addition. A pet magic cat would be nice too!

Exelex

I agree; Thieves/ Assassins can actually turn into Vampire Lords, Warriors can turn into Werewolves, I think that mages should have the ability to temporarily transform into a Lich to balance things out. I wouldn't mind transforming into the King of Worms himself.

Haru17

Lost Falmer
Oh this again =P I must contend that a spriggan, fire, frost, or storm atronarch form would be cooler and provide better contrast to vampire lords. Seriously, vampires are already an undead conjuror, why would we need another?

Exelex

Oh this again =P I must contend that a spriggan, fire, frost, or storm atronarch form would be cooler and provide better contrast to vampire lords. Seriously, vampires are already an undead conjuror, why would we need another?
Because some would prefer to be a Lich :p. Plus, in my opinion, Vampire Lord is just a unique and upgraded version of the Lich anyway. It even hovers like a Lich.

zane

It's not about being undead, it's about actually having a form for diverse magic attacks that range from the destruction trees and etc.

A vampire is a nightwalker who is strong in shadowy spells and anything dealing with drain life taking advantage of the necro perk for self spells

whereas a liche would be a more destructive, "glass cannon" so to speak. The VL has nothing like fire ball, ice spike, or lightning attacks, I believe a liche form with a particular changeable staff in the right hand, and a load of other spells in the left that range would be nice, with the entire idea being based on soul siphoning to keep your energy recharged.

it may be a possibility since Bethesda keeps talking about Dragon Priest dlc.

Haru17

Lost Falmer
It's not about being undead, it's about actually having a form for diverse magic attacks that range from the destruction trees and etc.

A vampire is a nightwalker who is strong in shadowy spells and anything dealing with drain life taking advantage of the necro perk for self spells

whereas a liche would be a more destructive, "glass cannon" so to speak. The VL has nothing like fire ball, ice spike, or lightning attacks, I believe a liche form with a particular changeable staff in the right hand, and a load of other spells in the left that range would be nice, with the entire idea being based on soul siphoning to keep your energy recharged.

it may be a possibility since Bethesda keeps talking about Dragon Priest dlc.

The only difference between a vampire and this lich is illusion and feeding, that's really redundant. Dragon Priests would've been cool and all, but thing about it. Dragon Priests = Vampire Lord Form. They both float around, casting spells. The only difference is that one uses a staff to cast and the VL form can claw his enemies.

If there's gonna be a Dragon DLC then I'd like to see a demi-dovah form that would allow you to use shouts more often, run around clawing people, and maybe even fly. It could look something like this:

Drakonid.jpg

Dragon Priest and Vampire Lord:

Dragon_priest.jpg

VampireLord.png

They're even close in appearance. The priest just looks MORE undead.

The only thing to set the priest apart are the mask and his staff. I'd make for a few fun quests, but the gameplay would feel too close.

zane

you're still going based on looks ._.

if you want mages to stop complaining, you'd need to give VL more magic based combat. I hate playing as VL sometimes only because the moves are so - not magical. I want to freeze someone, i want to burn them.

also your Demi-dragon idea is righteous =o

Exelex

All I know is that a Lich is the most powerful of all three. They are all undead, but only one is immortal, the Lich.

Ratings:

Lich < Vampire Lord < Dragon Priest

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts