• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Rand Althor

Legionnaire
Hey guys. I've been playing Skyrim for about 140-150 hours so far and have only managed to get to level 42. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary until I found out that my friends were near or even above my level with far less hours put in. Are there any tips that you could share that would help me quicken the pace? For the sake of full disclosure, I play an Imperial with a focus on melee combat and restoration magic. I also avoided joining the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood since it didn't make sense for my overtly good natured character to be associated with them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member
Hey guys. I've been playing Skyrim for about 140-150 hours so far and have only managed to get to level 42. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary until I found out that my friends were near or even above my level with far less hours put in. Are there any tips that you could share that would help me quicken the pace? For the sake of full disclosure, I play an Imperial with a focus on melee combat and restoration magic. I also avoided joining the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood since it didn't make sense for my overtly good natured character to be associated with them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The problem with Skyrim, is that there are so many exploits for levelling it is just silly. Your friends more than likely exploited or gained levels "unfairly", if you can call it that. My advice, just don't worry about it. The game is about freedom and having your own choices. Do what makes YOU happy, not what keeps you on par with your friends' cheated characters. (More than likely cheated)

Rand Althor

Legionnaire
The problem with Skyrim, is that there are so many exploits for levelling it is just silly. Your friends more than likely exploited or gained levels "unfairly", if you can call it that. My advice, just don't worry about it. The game is about freedom and having your own choices. Do what makes YOU happy, not what keeps you on par with your friends' cheated characters. (More than likely cheated)

I'm not really worried about keeping up or anything, I was just worried that I was doing something wrong. Plus, I want to fight the Ebony Warrior.

Staff member
I'm not really worried about keeping up or anything, I was just worried that I was doing something wrong. Plus, I want to fight the Ebony Warrior.
There is nothing wrong with enjoying a game at your own pace.

The Ebony Warrior you say? You haven't fought him yet?

Rand Althor

Legionnaire
There is nothing wrong with enjoying a game at your own pace.

The Ebony Warrior you say? You haven't fought him yet?
I think you need to reach level 60 or 70 for him to show up, although I could be mistaken.

Staff member
I think you need to reach level 60 or 70 for him to show up, although I could be mistaken.
You must be level 81. My original advice still stands, as leveling up to 81 suddenly can cause you to be in a world of badas*es whilst having underpoweres gear.

Rand Althor

Legionnaire
You must be level 81. My original advice still stands, as leveling up to 81 suddenly can cause you to be in a world of badas*es whilst having underpoweres gear.

I guess your right. I usually prefer wandering and exploring to combat and questing.

CHUBBY_RYNO

Well good sir I think I may know your issue if you feel your level isn't quite high enough for your liking. Seeing you play a melee build with a tad bit of magic I'll assume your major skills are either Light/Heavy armor, One/Two handed Block and Restoration. Now this is a good build but I bet by level 42 your Offensive skill is 100, along with your armor skill. And potentially your Block and restoration are quite high, if you use them frequently. The issue here is that with your most commonly used skills reaching there max, the skill levels come slower, and in turn, the levels come slower. But this is not the end of your characters leveling, all you need to do is level up some of the skills you ignore, perhaps Alchemy or Speech? Now this may seem difficult, but is actually quite easy with a bit of research and action.

For example I will give some tips on how to level the skills I mentioned before, Alchemy and Speech.

Alchemy: I myself am no expert Alchemist, far from it in every way , but I have used it to help quicken the pace of leveling at later levels. The trick with leveling Alchemy is the value of created potions, the higher the potions value, the more Experience you will get towards the skill. There are several helpful guides located on the Forums here that will help you become a master Alchemist. This post for example, is great for potion values -- http://skyrimforum.com/threads/most-valuable-potions.4985/

Speech: Leveling this skill is actually very easy, Although the method I am about to recommend may be considered a exploit. If you head to Riften, you may know the location of the Black Briar Meadery. Inside at the front counter is a Wood elf named Ungrien. Now if you begin conversation with Ungrien, you can ask him about Maven Black Briar, which will give you the option to persuade or bribe him. This conversation can be repeated over and over leveling speech incredibly fast compared to the normal rate.

I hope this helps speed up your leveling process mate, Should you decide to do so! :Dovahkiin:

Rand Althor

Legionnaire
Well good sir I think I may know your issue if you feel your level isn't quite high enough for your liking. Seeing you play a melee build with a tad bit of magic I'll assume your major skills are either Light/Heavy armor, One/Two handed Block and Restoration. Now this is a good build but I bet by level 42 your Offensive skill is 100, along with your armor skill. And potentially your Block and restoration are quite high, if you use them frequently. The issue here is that with your most commonly used skills reaching there max, the skill levels come slower, and in turn, the levels come slower. But this is not the end of your characters leveling, all you need to do is level up some of the skills you ignore, perhaps Alchemy or Speech? Now this may seem difficult, but is actually quite easy with a bit of research and action.

For example I will give some tips on how to level the skills I mentioned before, Alchemy and Speech.

Alchemy: I myself am no expert Alchemist, far from it in every way , but I have used it to help quicken the pace of leveling at later levels. The trick with leveling Alchemy is the value of created potions, the higher the potions value, the more Experience you will get towards the skill. There are several helpful guides located on the Forums here that will help you become a master Alchemist. This post for example, is great for potion values -- http://skyrimforum.com/threads/most-valuable-potions.4985/

Speech: Leveling this skill is actually very easy, Although the method I am about to recommend may be considered a exploit. If you head to Riften, you may know the location of the Black Briar Meadery. Inside at the front counter is a Wood elf named Ungrien. Now if you begin conversation with Ungrien, you can ask him about Maven Black Briar, which will give you the option to persuade or bribe him. This conversation can be repeated over and over leveling speech incredibly fast compared to the normal rate.

I hope this helps speed up your leveling process mate, Should you decide to do so! :Dovahkiin:

Thanks! This actually makes a lot of sense. I think I might switch over to some destruction magic since I have a lot of unused spells just sitting in my inventory.

jamzwayne

Well, once you reach lvl 80 and have the chance to fight him, you will be disappointed. I took him down in the matter of seconds, plus his armor is nothing compared to what I am wearing now.

Just enjoy the game, and let the levels come as they may.

Also keep in mind, using skills that you normally wouldn't use will help you level up quicker as well.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Spawning the Ebony Warrior will be much more difficult to do after the do the next update as it will remove the Oghma Infinium exploit. The Oghma Infinium is a Daedric quest reward in the form of a book that allows you to level all skills in one group (Magic, Combat or Stealth) by five points when you read it. You're only supposed to be able to read it once but there's an exploit involving using a book shelf that allows you to read it as many times as you'd like.

Currently the only other way to get to 81 is by grinding all your skills. You basically have to become a MOAT (Master of All Trades) to get to level 81 which is something role players find distasteful. The next update is going to change that possibility by allowing you to reset your primary skills to 15. On the downside that's going to make you a bit weak until you can level them back up to 100 but you can eventually spawn the Ebony Warrior without changing your build into a MOAT.

jamzwayne

Dagmar speaks truth.

I have 2 characters, my original charater (lvl 80) I grinded skills...I still have a couple not at 100. I did not know of the Oghma Infinium "trick" so I leveled the old school, hard way. He is my favorite.

My other character, which I started out as a "mage", I used the book (Oghma Infinium). I thought it was cool. I love bugs in games that actually benefit the player, this is one of those bugs. That's when I realised the highest level one can get is 81 1/2. If your a warrior, I'd use the book to max out your Magic, but level your Combat, and Stealth skills yourself...it takes the fun out of the game.

IMO

Staff member
Well, once you reach lvl 80 and have the chance to fight him, you will be disappointed. I took him down in the matter of seconds, plus his armor is nothing compared to what I am wearing now.

Also keep in mind, using skills that you normally wouldn't use will help you level up quicker as well.
There is nothing "easy" about fighting the Ebony Warrior. If you found him easy, you either fus do rah'd him down the mountain, or used some cheap exploited gear. His armour *spoiler ahead* has enchantments that make him extremely tough, and he has a perk that reflects damage back at you (ten percent chance, it still happens a lot). The other possibility is that you used magic to tank with two dremora and get him caught in a stagger loop. He is most definitely NOT easy, ESPECIALLY for a melee character. Don't bring that ego "oh I killes him easy" crap here.

Staff member
Spawning the Ebony Warrior will be much more difficult to do after the do the next update as it will remove the Oghma Infinium exploit. The Oghma Infinium is a Daedric quest reward in the form of a book that allows you to level all skills in one group (Magic, Combat or Stealth) by five points when you read it. You're only supposed to be able to read it once but there's an exploit involving using a book shelf that allows you to read it as many times as you'd like.

Currently the only other way to get to 81 is by grinding all your skills. You basically have to become a MOAT (Master of All Trades) to get to level 81 which is something role players find distasteful. The next update is going to change that possibility by allowing you to reset your primary skills to 15. On the downside that's going to make you a bit weak until you can level them back up to 100 but you can eventually spawn the Ebony Warrior without changing your build into a MOAT.
Where did you hear that? I've made quite a few "true" level 81 characters, and got bored with it and used the oghma infinium on the others. I see it as more of a "don't like it, don't use it" thing. If they are removing it, it will be a sad day for this dragonborn, as I literally leveled more characters to 81 without the exploit than what is probably healthy o_O

jamzwayne

There is nothing "easy" about fighting the Ebony Warrior. If you found him easy, you either fus do rah'd him down the mountain, or used some cheap exploited gear. His armour *spoiler ahead* has enchantments that make him extremely tough, and he has a perk that reflects damage back at you (ten percent chance, it still happens a lot). The other possibility is that you used magic to tank with two dremora and get him caught in a stagger loop. He is most definitely NOT easy, ESPECIALLY for a melee character. Don't bring that ego "oh I killes him easy" crap here.

No exploits. I am using full Death Brand armor (smithed to Legendary) and my armor rating is a tad over 1,000. My dragonbone bow (named it Dovakiin Bow - soul trap) does about 418 damage.
Fos Ro Dah > as he was getting up, hit him with a couple of dragonbone arrows > pulled out my good ol buddy Dragonbane > no more ebony warrior.

He was a wuss. Sorry to disappoint, but he went down quickly. Maybe it was glitch, I dunno, but like I said ...

Staff member
No exploits. I am using full Death Brand armor (smithed to Legendary) and my armor rating is a tad over 1,000. My dragonbone bow (named it Dovakiin Bow - soul trap) does about 418 damage.
Fos Ro Dah > as he was getting up, hit him with a couple of dragonbone arrows > pulled out my good ol buddy Dragonbane > no more ebony warrior.

He was a wuss. Sorry to disappoint, but he went down quickly. Maybe it was glitch, I dunno, but like I said ...
On Master difficulty? I have much trouble believing you. But it is irrelevant. He IS the strongest single opponent in the game. Next time fight him without the shout or the bow? Also, to get damage and such that high would be suicide against his armour perks. You were either very lucky or playing on low difficulty.

Muart

Fus.. RO DAH!

You used some overpowered equipment then. Try actually playing on Master as a MELEE character and no "smithed - legendary - poisoned - enchamented" weapons. If you actually try with let's say two unimproved daedric swords and normal armor, it's freaking hard. You're just ruining the game, making it too easy.

Even as an archer, it is crappin hard, since he will charge at you, and you have that stupid overpowered "legendary" armor like I said. You also have that stupid bow that you smithed, and you also enchanted. Try playing with like an ebony bow and some glass armor, without summons or any companions. You'll see how hard he is then.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Where did you hear that? I've made quite a few "true" level 81 characters, and got bored with it and used the oghma infinium on the others. I see it as more of a "don't like it, don't use it" thing. If they are removing it, it will be a sad day for this dragonborn, as I literally leveled more characters to 81 without the exploit than what is probably healthy o_O
Bethesda Blog article on upcoming Patch 1.9 said:
Placing an unread Oghma Infinum on a bookshelf in the player's house no longer allows the book to be reused again

Staff member
Well... there goes that exploit. I'll miss it. Imo they should just leave it alone, even if I don't always use it, I appreciate having the option to. I will just continue my mantra of "If u no like, u no use!!!!" I suppose. Oh well though, it won't be the end of the world...

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts