Let's talk books, shall we?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

LittleWolf14-10

Meridia's Champion
Discworld, all the way!
Started reading some of Neil Gaiman's works too, really like his style.

M'aiqaelF

Male, 32 years old, Denver area, CO
I'm reading World Without End by Ken Follett right now. It's about the trials and tribulations of an English town called Kingsbridge in the 14th century. I like how he paints a picture of medieval life, especially how people built and made things.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

SherlockJones

I'm where you least expect me, THERE! no not there
The exorcist, fantastic book

using my phone. like a boss

Karen

boop.
I finally have time to read at my own leisure again! The book I ordered two weeks earlier arrived a few days ago, it's called Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist. I'm reading the English translation, but it was originally written in Swedish.

It's about a 12-year-old boy who meets a girl that turns out to be a vampire (think Babette, except "she's" actually a castrated boy that dresses as a girl), and... yeah, events unfold. Don't want to give too much away, but I'm loving it so far. I saw the film first, which got me interested in the original book - if you haven't seen it I'd recommend it. :)

Also, yay, Harry Potter fans in this thread!

Punz

Dark Lord of Skyrim
I finally have time to read at my own leisure again! The book I ordered two weeks earlier arrived a few days ago, it's called Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist. I'm reading the English translation, but it was originally written in Swedish.

It's about a 12-year-old boy who meets a girl that turns out to be a vampire (think Babette, except "she's" actually a castrated boy that dresses as a girl), and... yeah, events unfold. Don't want to give too much away, but I'm loving it so far. I saw the film first, which got me interested in the original book - if you haven't seen it I'd recommend it. :)

Also, yay, Harry Potter fans in this thread!
That book is amazing. Very dark and unsettling at times but it's such a great tale. I just finished Interview with the Vampire: Claudia's Story. It's a graphic novel adaptation of Anne Rice's original work. I highly recommended it if you enjoyed the original book.

The OP3RaT0R

Call me Op. Or Smooth.
My favorite book is Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. Great story, it's a long read that keeps you entertained - if you agree with Miss Rand's philosophy, that is. If not, you'll hate it :D. I love basically everything by Ayn Rand though, so... yeah. :p Also, The Count Of Monte Cristo is another good book.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." :p

Karen

boop.
That book is amazing. Very dark and unsettling at times but it's such a great tale. I just finished Interview with the Vampire: Claudia's Story. It's a graphic novel adaptation of Anne Rice's original work. I highly recommended it if you enjoyed the original book.
Oh, you mentioned it on the first page, I just noticed that. :D It is a great story, disturbing yet beautiful at the same time.

And I'll definitely remember that graphic novel next time I go book-shopping.

Nocte Aeterna

Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Film
My favorite book is and always will be The Great Gatsby, followed by A Clockwork Orange and the Lord of the Rings saga.

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
I've read the Harry Potter books a few times and I'm reading the Lord Of The Rings at the moment. Except for the fantasy genre I also like to read non-fictional books; especially about history, psychology, psychiatric diseases, forensic science, the financial crisis and the Asperger syndrome. And I once read the entire dog breed encyclopedia out of boredom (-_-)
I also like to read Greek mythologies. You don't have many books about that in Dutch so I read them in English. That's not always easy but I like it. :)

btw If you want to read a good fictional book about the Asperger syndrome >>> "the curious incident of the dog in the nighttime" by Mark Haddon. Megusta :D

Finnsson

Prince of Denmark
The Hobbit was my first love and shall always be my favorite book. My parents bought me Eragon for my twelfth birthday, and I didn't read it for five years. That was... stupid. I dug it out of the cluttered depths of the large basket where I keep my books (I needed it for a road trip from Los Angeles to New Orleans o_O), read it over my entire vacation, really enjoyed it, and quickly bought the rest of the series.

Now I'm reading A Song of Ice and Fire (late to the party again), and I'm very impressed so far. I purposely avoided watching the show because the books are always better. When I'm done, I'll check it out just to rage about the smallest flaws in the casting.

Khasrin

Fusozayiit
Favorite book of all time is The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. Love love LOVE this book. It changed me forever as a reader and a writer and probably as a person:

mistsofavalon.jpg

Other favorites:
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams)
Discworld series (Terry Pratchett)
The Parasol Protectorate series (Gail Carriger)
The Night Circus (Erin Morgenstern)
Neverwhere (Neil Gaiman)
The Dark Tower series (Stephen King)
We Have Always Lived In The Castle (Shirley Jackson)

Pretty much anything by H.P. Lovecraft, Jane Austen, Fyodor Dostoevsky, and Banana Yoshimoto.

Orcs Are Your Friends

Burz gro-Khash Is My Hero.
I don't really read much, but my nephew got me a book called 'The Name Of The Wind' by Patrick Rothfuss. It's a great read, so far.

I'm pretty much a fantasy book fan now. It's a shame I ignored the genre (or reading, in general) after all this time.

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
I am currently deep (DEEP) into an obsession with A Song of Ice and Fire. I tried to read the books first, as I usually do, but I'm not a fantasy reader and thus had a very hard time getting into it. So I moved on to the series. And by the seven, come the third episode I was irrevocably hooked. Watched both seasons in a matter of days, and then went back to the books, and now that I knew some of the story and could envision everything in my head, the reading was very easy. I read all five books over two months. My mind was blown. And my obsession was cemented. This will be one of my favorite series for the rest of my life, one that I will read over and over again and spend countless hours thinking and theorizing and talking about. I have no doubt of that.

My other lifelong obsession is Harry Potter. I came late to that party as well, reading the first two a few years after they were released, and dismissing them as children's books. Much later, I saw the third film, and, it being darker and dealing with more adult themes than the first two, I thought I may have been wrong about this being for kids, and revisited the books. Read all five that were out at that time. Again, mind was blown, obsession was cemented. I've lost count of how many times I've read the series in full. And I can't wait until I have kids and start reading the books to them. That's one of the best things about Harry Potter - the first two books are targeted towards a younger audience, so kids will love them, and as they grow, so do the characters and the story. Not only are these some of the best books ever written, but they have succeeded at getting kids to read and to love reading, and that's no small task in this day and age.

My all-time number one favorite book, though, is Flowers in the Attic by V. C. Andrews. I read it for the first time when I was eleven years old, probably too young for a book like this, and it had a profound impact on my impressionable mind. Nearly twenty years later, it is still my favorite, and I still read it every other year or so. It still chills me. I love it so much.

Honorable mentions: The Pact by Jodi Picoult, which I called in sick to work to finish reading. Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk, one of the very few books that has ever truly creeped me out. Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding, one of the funniest things I've ever read. The Vampire Chronicles (mainly the early Lestat-centric books) and the Lives of the Mayfair Witches series by Anne Rice.

Brizzle Kicks

Welcome To The Underground
I'm almost done with BioShock Rapture pretty good if you're a fan of the series I would say it's worth a read.

I've got a load of Terry Prachet books a bloke at my work fixed a car for a family member of his at Terry's house in Wiltshire Monday and got given a load of books as a thank you. Thankfully he isn't intrested in his stuff so I have all these to get through.

Mort
Sorcery
Jingo
Thud
Eric
The Long Earth
The Carpet People
And the Discworld Series

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts