Left side of smithing tree for assassin?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Lightningfalcon

Seems khajit...
So i watched a video by trendkill and he said to go up the right side for daedric daggers.

But now there's dragon weapons, could assassins go up the left side of the smithing tree? Cos light armor weaponsare faster arent they?

Also could you go around the tree clockwise and get daedric daggers since they look better after dragon.

Joker

Cook, Wine Taster, Scotch Taster, Adventure Seeker
The left side is for Light Armor, and the right side is for Heavy Armor. You can smith anything that you pick up, as long as you have the materials to improve them - save for enchanted items, which require the Arcane Blacksmith skill. The side you choose means that you can improve items that fall on that side more than the other side. You can get the Dragon smithing skill without going up the right side. You could get the Daedric skill, but that is a lot of points to put into smithing for one skill. I would choose one side and just go up that side.

High King of Skyrim

King of the barbarian horde
That's the quickest route to the dragon bone weapons, up the left side. However, going up the right gives you access to the fabled daedric armour and weapons. Daedric weapons are slightly less powerful (Not by anything significant though) and are lighter in weight. So, if you go up the left for the dragon bone it's quicker however if you decide at some point you want to forge daedric (which you certainly will) Then at 100 smithing you'll still be four perks shy of your goal. Trenkill's builds are awesome but they are his builds. Follow your own path and see what you can do, you may surprise yourself. Good luck! :)

Nighthiker77

Left side all the way. Your Blade of Woe is higher damage than daedric and it is on the steel perk. You won't miss anything ignoring the right side except the saviors hide. Both sides have plenty of good weapons, so what armor you want makes a much bigger difference. You can have adequate weapons with just the steel perk. Skyforge, Nord Hero, Windshear, Blade of Woe. Windshear is great if you get detected because of the guaranteed stagger at sword speed and only 10 pounds. And the forsworn bow.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Left side all the way. Your Blade of Woe is higher damage than daedric and it is on the steel perk. You won't miss anything ignoring the right side except the saviors hide. Both sides have plenty of good weapons, so what armor you want makes a much bigger difference. You can have adequate weapons with just the steel perk. Skyforge, Nord Hero, Windshear, Blade of Woe. Windshear is great if you get detected because of the guaranteed stagger at sword speed and only 10 pounds. And the forsworn bow.
I luv that you used the "adequate". Adequate indeed. Not good, but adequate. :)

Nighthiker77

The elven tier steel perk weapons with the steel perk will outperform everything in the game you don't have the perk for, and even with all the perks, you have to go all the way up to glass or ebony to get more damage, and it isn't much more. They are a lot better than they get credit for.

Another option is to use bound weapons with the mystic binding perk. I think a good assassin can really benefit from them, especially if you are big on the roleplay, and even more so before your smithing is maxed and you have smithing enchantments.

I would use a skyforge steel dagger until I got the Blade of Woe, skyforge sword or bound sword until Windshear, and a forsworn bow until I could cast bound bow. They will kill anything in the game with sneak bonuses, and Windshear will keep anything staggered if you get detected, even Alduin and legendary dragons.

Medea

The Shadow Queen
I don't think you can go from dragon to daedric. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think each side of the smith tree has to be unlocked from the bottom up.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
I don't think you can go from dragon to daedric. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think each side of the smith tree has to be unlocked from the bottom up.
That was my experience. You can go left side up to dragon or right side up to dragon but you cannot go from dragon to anything.

Nighthiker77

Since nobody addressed the speed question, you will move faster in light armor, but weapons made from light armor materials aren't actually lighter. The lightest craftable weapons in the game with a perk are the Nord Hero weapons, which do elven tier damage at the weight of iron. Next best are Skyforge (not craftable but easy to purchase) at the same damage, but usually 1 pound heavier equal to standard steel.

I'm not sure if a lighter weapon actually swings faster, but they definitely take less stamina to power attack.

Bound weapons have zero weight, and weight does affect rate of fire with bows.

Also to add, the ancient nord bow has ok damage for early game with a very high rate of fire, but the Nord Hero bow is bugged, can't be improved, and is completely inferior to the forsworn bow.

Lightningfalcon

Seems khajit...
The elven tier steel perk weapons with the steel perk will outperform everything in the game you don't have the perk for, and even with all the perks, you have to go all the way up to glass or ebony to get more damage, and it isn't much more. They are a lot better than they get credit for.

Another option is to use bound weapons with the mystic binding perk. I think a good assassin can really benefit from them, especially if you are big on the roleplay, and even more so before your smithing is maxed and you have smithing enchantments.

I would use a skyforge steel dagger until I got the Blade of Woe, skyforge sword or bound sword until Windshear, and a forsworn bow until I could cast bound bow. They will kill anything in the game with sneak bonuses, and Windshear will keep anything staggered if you get detected, even Alduin and legendary dragons.

No magic for me bub, just pure assassin, magic assassins are way to easy and overpowered.

Lightningfalcon

Seems khajit...
That's the quickest route to the dragon bone weapons, up the left side. However, going up the right gives you access to the fabled daedric armour and weapons. Daedric weapons are slightly less powerful (Not by anything significant though) and are lighter in weight. So, if you go up the left for the dragon bone it's quicker however if you decide at some point you want to forge daedric (which you certainly will) Then at 100 smithing you'll still be four perks shy of your goal. Trenkill's builds are awesome but they are his builds. Follow your own path and see what you can do, you may surprise yourself. Good luck! :)

Well i had steel and dwarven smithing before this thread and daedric daggers do look nice as well with the colour.

I like my assassin/thief to be dark and as black as possible.

Also is it daedric swords or daggers that you can do that scissor behead execution? Where the enemy gets down on their knees, you put blades round their head and swipe their head.

Nighthiker77

If you don't mind a little more of a challenge(not much really) and you are smithing anyway, just perk steel and elven, or advanced if you like scaled or vampire armor better than elven. Then you can use 3 or 4 perks somewhere else.

berzum

Why is the alto wine always gone?
heres the best way to do it imo, hit lvl252 and perk everything out then you can be a heavy armor, dagger wielding, casting any spell, raining death from above by calling dragons to fight, complete god like character....i find it very comforting to know that if i want to run around in non armor clothing my armor rating is is still at over 1k with just a single cast of a spell, or if want to be deadric evil meanie i can still go into stealth mode and get sneak kills,pickpocket ppl, and sneak bow/crossbow kills....i prefer to have plenty of options when i play skyrim sojust hit lvl 252 and perk everything out

High King of Skyrim

King of the barbarian horde
Well i had steel and dwarven smithing before this thread and daedric daggers do look nice as well with the colour.

I like my assassin/thief to be dark and as black as possible.

Also is it daedric swords or daggers that you can do that scissor behead execution? Where the enemy gets down on their knees, you put blades round their head and swipe their head.
I know it can be done with swords, got no idea about daggers mate. Obviously when duel wielding too. :p

Daucus

You could go both sides, once you got your weapons and armor that you wanted legendarize smithing and get your perks back for another tree.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Adam Warlock

With the DLCs , the Light Armor path becomes much more versatile with Chitin Heavy Armor(elvin perk) and Nordic Carved(advanced perk) as well as the old Steel Plate for available heavy sets.

The only Light Armor that has a perk on the Heavy Armor side is Stalhrim at lvl 80.

If your aim is to ultimately get to choose(or alternate) between the Dragon armors , then it`s more effective to be training both types of armor while advancing up the shorter side.
Daedric gear can be purchased, looted , or created at the Atronarch Forge , the only loss by not getting the perk is that you can`t improve it quite as well.
If you really wanted capped Daedric it can be achieved without the smithing perk by a combination of heavy armor augment perks, fortify smithing gear , and potions.

I think the Chitin Heavy may be the games best value now.
It`s as strong as Steel Plate but lighter and you get the improvement perk at lvl 30.
The light Chitin gear is better than Elven

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts