Lack of Dragons... Where are they?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Unit7

So I just reached lvl 17 on my new character. Everything is going good. I haven't encountered any Vampire attacks in the city. Alvor, thank the Nine, is still living, and I haven't seen any Dragons and everything seems... peaceful.

I have fought 3 dragons. 2 of them were scripted events. The third one was at the Word Wall south of Windhelm. But no random dragons. In fact when I left the Abandoned Shack... a time where a Dragon almost always pops up for me was... missing. Only time that has ever happened is when I haven't fought the first dragon.

Now I guess I have been busy with the Thieves Guild and spending time in cities. So I guess that's probably the reason behind it. But still I feel like I should have a few more dragons under my belt. I am actually starting to get worried that I somehow glitched the game!

As for the Vampires... well I realized I had turned Dawnguard off for awile and forgot to put it back on. Turned it off because I needed the alchemy table... stupid glitch. So Things are looking grim, because when i did turn it on the second I left my house there was a Master Vampire. Which for some odd reason I was able to help kill and not get a bounty.

Which brings me a question that I have always wanted to ask.

After becoming Thane of Whiterun what was your longest time you went without seeing a single dragon?

Kairee Blackblade

Premium Member
I have fought 3 dragons. 2 of them were scripted events. The third one was at the Word Wall south of Windhelm. But no random dragons. In fact when I left the Abandoned Shack... a time where a Dragon almost always pops up for me was... missing. Only time that has ever happened is when I haven't fought the first dragon.

Now I guess I have been busy with the Thieves Guild and spending time in cities. So I guess that's probably the reason behind it. But still I feel like I should have a few more dragons under my belt. I am actually starting to get worried that I somehow glitched the game!

"We regret to inform you that, due to an unwillingness on the part of mortals to negotiate with us, all random dragon attacks are henceforth suspended. Attacks will not commence unless the Dovah Labor Union is satisfied with the working conditions and benefits guaranteed to our members. Until such a time, the Dov will continue to protect their rousting grounds, but will make no effort to raze villages or kill thousands of innocent mortals. Anyone who wishes to know more may contact the Union representative, Odahviing. Should you choose to do so, he requests that you provide a sizable meal (either five flambéed cows or ten roasted Nords)."

After becoming Thane of Whiterun what was your longest time you went without seeing a single dragon?

About five freakin' minutes!

Ritterkreuz

I hate what I call the Non-Landers. You see them in the distance, they might even fly right over you, but they never attack, they just circle and circle. As soon as I see one of those I just walk away. You can;t even fight these wastes of time.

Ebonyflesh

Three Dog
I hate what I call the Non-Landers. You see them in the distance, they might even fly right over you, but they never attack, they just circle and circle. As soon as I see one of those I just walk away. You can;t even fight these wastes of time.

There was one flying near Volundruun in Whiterun that did this. I spent twenty minutes trying to shoot it down to no avail.

EDIT: Figured I should also answer OP's question. On the characters I play, it could take from five minutes to hours before I find my first dragon after Thane status. I usually never go to Dragon Lairs at the start of the game (the only one I do go to is Bonestrewn Crest in Eastmarch).

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!

I've had those types of dragons not even appear as an enemy on the radar. If they aren't a red dot, I don't even bother.

Neriad13

Premium Member
I've had those types of dragons not even appear as an enemy on the radar. If they aren't a red dot, I don't even bother.

I don't think those dragons are meant to be hostile, if you've completed the Main Quest. They're under Paarthurnax's control and see you as their superior Dovah.

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
I don't think those dragons are meant to be hostile, if you've completed the Main Quest. They're under Paarthurnax's control and see you as their superior Dovah.

Considering I've only completed the Main Quest twice, no, that's not it. I've had it happen many times when I've barely even touched the Main Quest.

Neriad13

Premium Member
Considering I've only completed the Main Quest twice, no, that's not it. I've had it happen many times when I've barely even touched the Main Quest.

Then maybe they've just caught glimpses of their comrades' flaming corpses and decided that it would be a far wiser choice to stay away from that guy. :p

Annageckos

I am around level 42 and have seen probably a dozen dragons in total. In my other game I see them all the time. I'm not sure why the lack of dragons in my current game.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts