• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Lee

Rasta-For-I
Edit : oops, sorry jsut realised I should have put this in the Gaming section. My bad :rolleyes:

Has anyone got this game yet? If so, what do you reckon to it? I've read some reviews and whilst they said it's not as good as Skyrim (obviously), they say that it has a good storyline, depth and the combat is very good in a genre in which combat hasn't been that good in the past.

Personally, the combat isn't the biggest issue for me in a game, but from what I've read I'm encouraged about it. Reviews giving it 9 (IGN), 80/100 (Metacritic) and 7.8 (C&Vgames)

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/334632/reviews/kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning-review/?page=2

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/objects/064/064691.html

3v3r

I have scale-itch... Don't ask how I got it.
Sounds interesting but I like Dragons Dogma better. There's not enough money in my wallet for all the awesome games that are coming out.

Blumpkinator

Combat Medic Extraordinaire
I got to play about 2 hours of it after I recieved it before going on a little trip. I liked what it had to offer so far.

S

SynnerLarkie

my husband is addicted to it. im still inlove with skyrim, so once i finish it ill play. it is very pretty but almost too WoW like in looks for me.

Lee

Rasta-For-I
my husband is addicted to it. im still inlove with skyrim, so once i finish it ill play. it is very pretty but almost too WoW like in looks for me.

Yeah, one of the things I like about Skyrim is how bleak and gritty it sometimes looks. It must have been a harsh existence for the people of Skyrim and the game recreates that well.

Shadowbane

Premium Member
just bought it today, VERY GOOD GAME. the combat is pretty sweet. the skills system is similar but diffrently set up than skyrim. when you level up you get a point to spend on a Non combat perk and 3 combative perks. (this was so it wouldn't under power yourself by accidently investing in something stupid at the beginning like alchemy and be really weak in combat) and all perks are upgrade able. you can even go to a Fatewaver and complatly reset your character and re-envest you points into something else. you can also unlock perks that benefit hybrid builds like mage/warrior or mage/ archer or warrior/ rouge.

the story so far (i wont spoil it for you) but its not bad compared to the DragonBorn story almost equal. but because the game has actual cut scenes the story looks better IMO. Im playing on the Casual difficulty (bellow normal and hard) and i find it challenging to defeat enemy's.

one thing I really enjoy is the combat system. You can combo skills in ways that are fluid and unique to your build. almost like a mortal combat style but more free so you can run around the feild and doge attacks (reminded me of force unleashed) the combat I think is better than skyrims because its so versital and unique while with skyrim i find the combat dull when I use anything other than magic, or a bow. not to mention enemy's have weaknesses and resistances which i thought there was a lack of in skyrim. Ive only [played about 2 hours so I haven't discovered a whole lot about stuff like crafting, housing or anything like that.

the graphics look amazing and kinda have a cartoony wold of warcraft feel to it but it looks superb even on low graphics settings.

According to what ive read before i bought the game, it was originally set up to be an MMO, and the Dev's are planing for MMO related multiplayer in the future. which explains the diablo style looting system.

CONS:
Not as many races but each race has its ups and downs like some have more mana, some better at melee, but there is also not as much customization.

archery (one of my favorit playstyles in skyrim) seems lacking, arrows replenish atomaticly and you can only shoot 5 at a time, plus its automated which means aiming is as simple as facing the direction of the enemy, so you cant skill headshots, but you can still do sneak kills

Not as many play styles, you can play as pures like mage, warrior, and rouge. and there are hybrids like mage warrior, mage assasin, warrior assasin, rouge mage. but with two types of skill trees like combative and non combative is creats more unique types of those classes like a warrior, mage who knows alchemy, or is a good lock picker. or sneaking. but you can't play as stuff like illusionist or restoration, but like i said Iv'e only been playing for 2 hours, Il see if i can update after i get more experience in the game

Re-seting your skill and perk points is great and something I wish they had in skyrim but because of this, the replay ability on this game isnt as good because you only need one character for an entire play through but the game is 15 gigabytes (compared to skyrims 5 gigabytes) there is more content to remedy this, but less need to create multiple characters. but because of the design of the game DLC will come a lot faster, they already have a weapons pack available and another DLC on the way next month.

Being thats this game was made by some of the Devs of Morrowind and Oblivion, Its no suprise that there are some similarities but the story and gameplay are to diffrent to be anything like skyrim, so its a diffrent game and a diffrent way to roleplay. It was never intended to replace skyrim. but its a damn good game so far.

Shadowbane

Premium Member
One thing I also noticed is that the game isn't as Heavily Reliant on Dungeons. Not to say that there aren't any just not as many as you would find in elderscrolls. Although thats what I really like about skyrim is just going in and looting crypts, caves, and other dungeons. but Amalur seems more reliant on the wilderness and environments than skyrim. also looting is more based on what you find on bodys, while skyrim seemed to be more based on what you find in chests and on the floors and shelves in the dungeons. also loot in skyrim is more realistic (like finding arrows and a bow on a archer you just killed) while Amalure is almost entirly randomized, but it depends more on your play style with what types of loot you find.

CRAFTING! you can creat potion with alchemy, weapons and armor with smithing (along with repair them), you can enchant your weapons with gems you create and the ammount of enchantments depend on Gem slots.

this game seems more like a mix of Diablo and elderscrolls but with cool fighter type style combat. its difffent but fun.

I gotta say, I was thinking about buying this game. But after playing the demo, I'm not so sure. At first, I was impressed. It was very fun! But then I got about half an hour into the 45 minutes or whatever they give you, and I was bored. It seemed to get quite repetitive. If I'm wrong, somebody convince me to buy this! :D

Shadowbane

Premium Member
if you like fable the game is kind of similar in that way, but not the same as skyrim, though the story is hard to understand at first its a really well thought out story line

Tanya

Just got this game. Love it so far! There are tons of quests already and I've only played for a few hours. Lot's of different fighting options and you can switch any time you want. I have chosen to be a rogue human. Somehow I always end up being a Rogue.. lol
I must admit that I didn't like it at first, it kind of felt like a skyrim ripoff, but after a few hours into it, I fell in love.

Spiral Power!

Abenddrachen
Created an account just to comment on this topic!

This game is really strange. For some reason it got a 9.5/10 on IGN but a 2.5/5 on G4TV. Now I haven't trusted G4TV reviews in years...but I'm gonna have to go with them on this one.

KOAR has some serious issues. Let me try to list them.

Shamelessly repetitive. About 2 hours into the game you are going to see everything the game offers. All you do is chase yellow quest markers, kill/loot what's there, and return to the quest giver.

The game feels exactly like an MMORPG, except somehow with lesser quality of gameplay. It feels like an MMO due to its "off the conveyor belt" quests that might as well be randomly generated with how mundane and predictable they are, but almost all of them lack any real context or engaging story.

While the combat is fun and fluid...this whole game is so mind-bogglingly easy, I can't enjoy the combat because it never challenges me to any degree. This game is so easy I beat the final main story boss underleveled COMPLETELY NAKED with just my 2 handed mace, and that was on hard mode.

I don't know if you ever played .hack// back in the day, but this game has all the bad ideas behind dungeon and map design ported straight from all of those games. Every area, dungeon, town, anything consists of obnoxiously long hallways connected by generic rooms that almost all look identical.

NO MOUNTS! This may not seem necessary until you are about 20 hours into this game and every quest pushes you further and further into "generic wasteland with slightly different theme but same construction as everywhere else" for the billionth time, and you have been holding forward on the left thumbstick/holding down W for 26 minutes straight. Seriously, easily over half of this game is purely running from one distant location to another.

This game is so dull. There are never any quirky fun mechanics, never any fun surprises, no unexpected happenings...every quest (all one 120+ hours of them) are exactly the same. You follow a yellow dot until its over. Nothing else happens ever. You MIGHT run into a boss, but they are just so easy sometimes you don't even notice, and it appears that you just slew another random trash mob.

78 hours into this game you are still killing the same enemies you fought in the first hour. There's a serious issue with this game recycling (although it's damn good compared to DA2).

The story is...bad. It has a good concept, and whoever set it up was great. But it's never realized in-game at all. Everyone tells you that YOU HAVE THE POWER TO CHOOSE...but really you are just following the next yellow dot on the map.

Really this game is only BIG. It's not really all that good. Fun if you have a lot of time to waste grinding, but unfortunately for people like me with a job and school, I don't want to waste my time playing something that is only trying to get time out of me and chooses to ignore my enjoyment.

Shadowbane

Premium Member
Its a good game as I stated before, but if you have skyrim I can garantee you will go back to skyrim. skyrim just has a lot more depth than the kindoms of amalure.

Spiral Power!

Abenddrachen
^That's kinda the vibe that I got from it playing the demo. Really not sure if I want to get it or not lol.

In really short terms, its like playing Fable 1, except you multiply the size of the world map to make getting anywhere extremely tedious, remove any minigames, and have the entirety of the game consist of nothing but meaningless side quests of fetch this kill that. All the while everyone is praising you and calling you an epic hero, when you never really feel epic because the "OH SO SCARY" badguy was just another plant monster, who you've slain armies of before and will do so after.

And also remove any morality system too. That is completely non existent.

I've actually come up with a new hand movement for when I play KOAR. I end up holding the left thumbstick forwards for so long that my other hand has to come up, hold the thumbstick down so that my other thumb can readjust itself since its been sliding off the stick due to being held there for well over 30 minutes at a time.

rvk5150

I got the game for free basically as I had $50 in BB Rewards Gift Cards that had to be spent and this was on sale...only had to pay tax. It will be shelved until Skyrim is complete and frankly I may start up Oblivion before even touching this one.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts